“I love this hotel”
Review of Melia White House

Melia White House
Ranked #294 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have stayed in many hotels around London on business and pleasure, and this is one of my favourites. A 2 minute walk from Great Portland Street tube station makes it very handy. The rooms are excellent, I have stayed in a few different ones and they all offer clean, luxurious rooms. Plenty of space in the bedrooms, and some nice touches in the deluxe rooms and suites. If you can then upgrade to the level as this gives access to an executive lounge which is well worth the extra.
The bar is very traditional and very relaxing. An excellent selection of whisky.
Have only had dinner there once and it was very good, nice varied selection of meals, they know how to cook a steak properly!
Breakfast - a great selection and great quality.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank danpne69
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments.
We are glad to have made it to your favorites list of hotels in London. As you have said, upgrading to the Level and to our Executive and Superior rooms allows our guests to have more advantages at a fair price.
We are particularly glad to hear your comments about our bar and restaurants as we value these outlets highly.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon to continue providing you with our excellent service.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed here with my mum and auntie for girly night away - It is quite hard to find hotels for three people in central london so this was in part the reason for choosing Meila White House, and we ended up in a suite (not extortionately priced for London either!) We had large double and sofa bed which was perfect for our needs. As previously mentioned, private check in, free tapas, bubbly and largers in the private bar for those staying in a suite. Also spoilt for choice for breakfast -cereals, fruit, cooked breakfast, pancakes.. We had planned to go out during the evening but ended up staying in having tapas! All the facilities you would expect from a large modern hotel, very clean, staff all curteous and in a good location just a short walk to the tube station. Already planning a trip back next year, but if you do go definately book a suite!!

Room Tip: Choose a suite
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rahu20

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad you were able to have a great stay with us for such an important night for you.
As you have recommended, by booking a room in a higher category, you will have access to The Level which has refreshments and snacks all day long and lovely tapas in the evening.
We are glad to hear you will be coming back and we look forward to be able to provide you with the same service as you have previously enjoyed.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed two nights here in July as my usual's were all fully booked and this trip was last minute. I did have some insider info on this hotel from a close friend so I knew not to book the cheapest 'Classic' room as they refer to it, instead I had a suite. Now as suites go this wasn't huge but it was reasonably appointed had plenty of room for my needs although there wasn't much furniture. I had an end of corridor room so it had two aspects which meant lots of light and it was on the quiet side of the hotel. However for some reason i could hear strange dragging sounds at all hours which seemed to be coming from above and sounded like baggage or trolley wheels - i wasn't near the lift so not sure why this was happening but it was annoying at 3pm in the morning!!
The bathrooms even in the suites are small but they are reasonably appointed however mine did have some cracked floor tiles which was sloppy as they could have been easily replaced.
i had access to the 'Level", which is there executive lounge so breakfast, drinks tapas etc available at no extra cost - this is a nice touch if you're on business, not sure if its worth it if you're a tourist though.
Great bed though..!!!
Check in was efficient as was Check out and I can't fault the staff, although room service was a little slow.
The entrance of the hotel has been modernised a lot, quite contemporary but the room corridors do have a 'Titanicesque' feel to them and look a bit old fashioned - infact the rooms are a little out of date if I was being picky....which i am.
All in all it was good stay at a reasonable price for London, very handy for GPS tube and not a very long walk to the heart of W1 - so I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank I_SpyUk
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share all your comments.
As your friend suggested you correctly, we do try to advise our guests to book the higher category rooms as they provide them with more space and we think, a better comfort. A further advantage is the Level, which provides you with refreshments and food all day long, as you correctly mentioned.
In regards to the renovation, we are still renovating some rooms and the corridors on all the floors, reason for which the lobby looks more modern than the rest of the building.
We are glad to hear you will be coming back and let me assure you that we look forward to welcoming you back to provide you with our best service throughout your stay with us.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Last October I stayed at the Melia White house in London while on business. The hotel looks exactly like most Americans would imagine the white house to look like. The staff is mostly Spanish, being a Spanish chain of hotels, and they are super friendly and helpful. This was my first time in London, so I did not know what to expect. The rooms were small comparatively to the rooms here in the US, as was the bathroom, but apparently, that's Europe for ya!

Breakfast was included with my room rate and was a great spread! They have a little bit of everything for everyone, including traditional English fare, Spanish items, and some American style comforts. I would surely stay here again on business (it's close to our offices and the tube).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and especially our Breakfast buffet, which is one of our key assets. As you mentioned, our staff tries to be as helpful and friendly as posssible in order to provide you with any service you might need.
We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back soon for your next visit to London.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I have stayed twice at this hotel. First time in an Executive Room, second time in a Classic room. Day and Night. I had a great experience in the Executive Room: modern, elegant, large, clean, functional. I stayed yesterday in a Classic room (did not pay attention to my reservation): big surprise. Very small, all furniture really (really) tired, old bed (could feel the mattress' springs) and, above all, MICROSCOPIC bathroom. There is barely the space to turn around and, yes, when sitting "on that place", my legs were touching the wall in front of me...But that's not all. It's summer time in London: yesterday there were 28 degrees. Unusual, but true. The problem is that the temperature in my room was as high as the one outside, and... the air conditioning was NOT working (at all). The windows are very old, and I was able to open only one out of the 4 or 5... with little or no effect on the room's temperature. I had a terrible night, really a terrible night. In my point of view there should be no excuse. Any hotel, should it be 2,3,4 or 5 stars, should always have A/C, and A/C should be regularly tested and work. But for an hotel of this category and in relation to the price paid, such an issue is unacceptable.

4 stars for the first review, 1 for the second...

Room Tip: Go for an Executive Room or choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Larry121
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are sorry to hear that we have not been able to satisfy all your needs but I can assure you this is not our normal standard. As you have said, the Executive Rooms are a better choice as they have been recently renewed, while our Classic Rooms will be renewed shortly but are still the older design. However, in terms of the air conditioning, I can assure you that if you report the problem to us, we will fix it as soon as possible as we know how frustrating this can be. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon in order to provide you with our best service.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

The room were so small that we had to stack our luggage and put it on the bed to get something out of it. The luggage scale was broken, so we had to weigh and arrange our baggage at the airport. The rooms were clean and well appointed, just very small.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments.
We are sorry to hear that you weren't too happy with your room size. We do always provide our guests with the possibility of upgrading to a superior or executive room which are bigger and allow you to have extra advantages. This is all for a small extra charge.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon to provide you with this service.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted with a warm welcome. I checked in and was shown to a room the size of a match box.My wife put her bag on the floor and I put mine on the desk.Not a single drawer in the room to put a stitch of clothing except two shelves in the cupboard. The room was so small there wasn't even a safe in the room. After the first night I complained to the front desk about the plastic liner on the mattress and how my wife had broken out in a rash from head to tow.They agreed to move us to another room which was an upgrade in size large enough to have a few drawers and an in cupboard safe.However this time the problem was the AC Both on the first night and again on the second the AC broke On the second night it happened at 11 at night we had to bet a technician in the room.
The best was yet to come. Upon check out I was given a bill that was approximately 130 .pounds more then expected and they all referred to phone calls. I explained to the front desk attendant it wasn't possible as I made only 3 local calls and the rest were with a international calling card.I asked to see an itemized printout of all the calls He immediately gave me one however it was not correct. I explained again I wanted to see the exact dialed numbers.The attendant tried for a number of minutres on his own to retrieve the printout and then went behind the desk to speak to senior management.A gentleman claiming to be a manager came out and 15 minutes later finally got the correct printout.(now the best). I again explained now to the manager all charges except for three were all placed on a calling card. He then explained to me that thevhotel charged a by the minute charge forvusing a calling card. I question the chargecard hevtold me the information could be found in a black book in the desk drawer. I tod him he must be joking.....You expect guests to search a book for long distance rates how absurd. Not only a rp off that a hotel charges a by the minute service charge but also does not expose the rates where they are visable to guests.A plain tent card like
99% of other hotels do.No longer was this person a
Gentleman but rather rude individual who couldn't of cared les about my opinion. I saw that it was like talking to the wall and it was either keep arguing and miss my flight or pack up and call it quits. Having travelled internationally for over 25 years. I have never seen where the rates are not in direct eyesight within the room not hidden in a drawer. I left with a very bad taste knowing that I was ripped off. Thank the stars for one Roman the concierge one of the best I have ever come across other then that the management acted like they were running five an dime store and not part of a well respected Joel chain

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are sincerely sorry to see that we haven’t been able to satisfy your expectations. Kindly be informed that in all rooms a full information hotel directory is available to all clients. As well be ensured that the hotel members’ intention is always to fully assist our guests, so please accept our apologies if this is not the impression you perceived. Our guests’ satisfaction is a priority for us and we hope to have a future occasion to welcome you back and provide you with our best service, if you are willing to reconsider the Melia White House for your next stay in London. Once more thank you for staying with us.