“Great hotel in London”

Ranked #292 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Melton Mowbray, England, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in London”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stay at this hotel as often as possible when in London ...... Easy acces from Kings Cross /St Pancrass (2 tube stops) and a quality hotel in the bargain ....... Probably the most friendly staff in London! Good entertainment in the bar and a pleasant VIP lounge for platinum members! Makes a business or pleasure trip enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Laurence M
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Thank you for your kind comments!

It is great to read such a positive feedback from a regular guest and that makes us to feel proud of our staff and Hotel services as our constant attempts to deliver the best customer service are acknowledged.
We are looking forward to welcome you at Melia White House soon! Like our Facebook page for our news and the latest promotions.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Elgin,Scotland
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Thanks to a competition win I had a one night stay here. The door man opened the taxi door door and welcomed me to the hotel, removed my bags and gave me a ticket to hand to reception .Checkin was performed very quickly by Benjiman. I was on floor Five in a Executive room with access to the Level Lounge .A late checkout of 3pm was granted with no charge. The lift system was interesting, you press the floor you require and it tells you which lift will be used, never once during my stay was the lift ever shared. a nice perfumed smell was throught the place. My bags arrived very soon afterwards.
The room was well appointed, and a welcoming goody bag on the bed. stocked mini bar with space for a bottle of your own to be chilled. A phone call from guests services to advise me of the pillow menu options and a reminder of my lounge access and if l require any thing else to call them.
I went out shopping for a few hours and returned about 5pm the room was exactly as left it, lm saying this as then l went down to use the lounge for some tea and some snacks,soft drink ,all self service.A nice choice of teas and snacks were provided.
Back to the room and l was surprised (but delighted) to see the turn down service had been performed, not something you see all that often these days, the bed was made up for the night with a pillow surprise (cruising terms this is the mints on the pillow) and the breakfast room service menu placed close by along with my paper request, the used toiletries had been replenished as was the cup and tea bags replenished. and they had provided a bottle of water and a nutrition drink with a tip from the in house nutritionists and two canapes . For the record l didnt enjoy the canapes but this is my personal choice and not a complaint, had there been a note saying what they were l wouldnt have tried them.
The room provided all you need from a show horn, shoe shine either with a little pad or call some one to do this ! slippers umbrella. the choice of teas was nice along with coffee, more tea bags would be nice but its common in hotels not to provide more than a few tea bags. Generous oversized towels.
It all provided for a lovely nights sleep in avery comfortable bed. The bill was slipped under the door during the night at some stage and my paper was hanging from the door knob in a lovely newspaper bag.
Breakfast was served in the Lounge for the members and while it wasnt busy the staff were friendly and efficient. A lovely range of breakfast items on display, all self service and all freshly replenished. nice choice of breads, milks !, cheeses and cereals . as it was Easter a little chocolate egg was on the napkin, a lovely touch l thought. As it was part of a Spanish chain there was also red wine and sparkling wine for those that wished such things. and chilled water also.
The orange juice was a bit dubious in that im not exactly sure what juice it was, i can only describe is a J20 style, which is all very well if you lilke that, personally l felt freshly squeezed would have been better. again personal choice.
My bags were left at the concierge and these were reclaimed. It was the same gentleman that delivered them to my room he called a taxi, l pressed the flesh as they say ! he thanked me, and asked my destination this was relayed to the driver. l departed Melia White House with a smile on my face and felt very privileged to have been part of their Guest Experience., It was a delight and l welcome the day very much when lm able to return and check in as a paying guest.
Granted i was a non revenue guest it would have been all to easy for the hotel to dismiss me as not worth the effort, My experience provided me with a level of service from a hotel that l had thought long since vanished and lm pleased to say other than the canapes and the Orange juice everything was perfect.
The location is opposite Great Portland tube station, But l used Warren St (Northern Line) which was only a 3-4 minute walk and it provided better connections.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Myles D
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Many thanks for posting such a detailed feedback on Tripadvisor!
We are so glad to read that your stay with us was enjoyable and all the Hotel services provided were to your satisfaction. It is also great that our staff is being appreciated as we consider them as our strongest points. Allow us to mention that at Melia White House, we are constantly trying to meet our guests’ expectations and give a special touch in every occasion.
We would be pleased to welcome you back soon!
Visit our website melia.com for the best available rates.
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Great location, a stroll to Portland St tube station. The only thing be prepared for check in, it's a chore, I even emailed ahead, still made no difference, after queing for 20 mins, we had to take lunch locally, & return to still wait another 40 before getting to our lovely room. Nice staff, nice location, nice room, clean, but check in is very tardi.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor!!

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us with the location as well as the staff services and the room to be to your satisfaction. However allow us to apologise for any inconvenience caused during the check in process.
We would be happy to welcome you at Melia White House again!
Visit our website melia.com for all the special rates and promotions.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I had a very warm welcome at the Melia, the staff, though under pressure due to a large number of arrivals, remained calm, pleasant, and did what they could to speed things up.

My room was small but well appointed and clean. There were only two negatives - the large amount of dark/black glass, which shows the slightest amount of dust, and a stain on the headboard which I didn't notice until the morning. My bed was very comfortable and the hotel was quiet, despite the large number of guests.

One of the best things about this hotel is the buffet breakfast - there is a massive range of food available, something to suit everyone and great value for money.

Room Tip: Single rooms are small but adequately appointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor!
It is great for us to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and the Hotel services met your expectations. Regarding the room, please kindly note that a refurbishment to all the Classic category rooms, it is planned for the near future. However for your next stay at Melia White House, we recommend you to stay in our Superior category rooms which are recently refurbished and more spacious.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon!
Visit our website melia.com for the best available rates.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Please save your money! If the communication and staff were if a better standard then I would say this would be the perfect hotel to stay at. We arrived late on Friday evening, waited in a que, which was fine as there were other people been attended to. Upon booking a room for 2 nights, the total cost was £232. We were asked for 'a payment' of £141. After a little confusion we paid. There was a concierge service and a gentleman stood at the doors waiting to assist, to which be just walked straight past us and did so all weekend with no offer of helping us with our shopping bags or suitcases. Not once all weekend were we asked how our stay was. We've stayed in premier inns before and received better standard of service. The Sunday morning I rang reception to check the balance so I could go down and clear this, to be told £232 was outstanding. I went to reception to be told the £141 was a pre authorisation and this hadn't been taken from our bank. To cut a story short we paid the £232..... To find that when we rang our bank we were told that £141 + £232 had been taken. We were promised this would be returned to our account and the someone from melia White House accounts would rings us to confirm the return. This never happened and we had to ring them. Another example of terrible service was that while taking a nap on the Saturday afternoon, room service let themself into our room without asking. This happened again on the Saturday evening whilst we had gone for a meal and room service moved my expensive watch to a side draw without advising me. This again panicked me and made me very upset. We returned home to which I sent an email of complaint to crime a reply of utter excuses wi no offer of ......a refund or maybe a free return of better standard to make sure we remained customers. The service here is terrible and they only care about money! The only upside was the lounge and cocktail bar were magda was a really lovely lady who showed me and my partner how to make cocktails

2 Thank Lauren S
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear Lauren S,
we would like to reiterate how sorry we are to receive your feedback because we unfortunately see that the numerous attempts offered to please you haven’t been effective.

Before, during and after your stay we have been dedicated to provide you our special attentions and extra service such as a higher room category than the one booked and special amenities in order to guarantee you an unforgettable experience with us, as we constantly do with many other clients.

We are surprised to read that you have not enjoyed our service, which is normally our greatest asset appreciated in many other guests’ feedbacks, on Tripadvisor or via our satisfaction's survey system.

As explained, only the final amount of your stay has been charged to your credit card as the pre-authorization amount was only temporary, common procedure to guarantee a hotel stay upon arrival.

Being a hotel of our category, it is normal procedure to access rooms to provide the best cleaning service and ensure that the beverages offer of the minibar is complete, although in no moment we imagined to disturb you as “no do not disturb sign” was found on the door.

We are happily reminded that the watch never left your room, as personal belonging of yours and we thank you for the lovely comments about our Longford’s bar and its staff, it is a pleasure to see that you had good time.

We would be delighted to welcoming you back again at the Melia White House and we remain at your disposal as we have been for your first stay.

Hoddesdon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Mme and my girlfriend stayed in London for a few days done a few attractions and we decided to stay at the Melia Hotel, it was absolutely lovely, the rooms were excellent and clean, the food was lovely and the bar on the ground floor was very relaxing and tranquil. The location of the hotel was the main factor for us deciding to stay here, right next to the underground station many pubs, bars and restaurants in close proximity, although this area of London is quite loud the volume of noise in the hotel was low and peaceful. The staff were very polite and helpful and good value for money, although the hotel was expensive you get what you pay for with this hotel delivered excellence.

Dear Adam,

Thank you for posting this very kind review about your resent stay at the Melia White House Hotel. We are delighted your comkment that you had such a good experience of the hotel and is always great to hear that our guests have fully embraced the facilities which we offer, which it certainly sounds like you have! Don’t forget to like our Facebook page at Melia White House for our latest news and promotions.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

hotel approx. 1.5 miles from kings cross. Hotel is very clean and modern the staff where very nice and very helpful . the hotel is in a good location tube station is just around a corner.
there's a nice pub close by if u don't want to use the hotel bar. The breakfast is self service there's a good selection of food, there's always a cue with not to long to get a seat but the size of the hotel which is massive the staff do a good job in managing this. The room was very nice and would definitely stay again.
Tips get to know your Google map apps this can be extremely useful for getting about in London i.e. different types of transport .
DONT use the cockney/London rip of taxies
the tube station around the corner is called great Portland street, approx 10mins to kings cross station

Room Tip: rooms at the side of the hotel off a road the could poss be a bit noisy
Dear Stephane,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind feedback of your recent stay at the Melia White House Hotel. We are very pleased with the warm comment about our staff and it will be a pleasure to share this with the rest of Melia team. We naturally want to be perfect and very keen when guests leave the hotel with warm memories.I very much hope to see you back at the Melia White House Hotel. Please visit our web site for the best offers and special promotions on melia.com