“OFF the boil”

Ranked #290 of 1,067 Hotels in London
England
“OFF the boil”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have stayed at the Melia several times over the past two years, but felt that on my most recent visit they had become complacent and standards were lower.

Positives: a great location within easy walking distance of Euston, Oxford Street etc; welcoming reception staff; cooked to order omelettes at breakfast

Negatives: I was put in a twin room with an extremely small bathroom, chipped bath, inadequate lighting in the bathroom, and a flickering over-bed light. One of the key cards didn't work. At breakfast I asked for tea and a mug containing two tea bags was eventually plonked on the table after I asked again - there didn't seem to be enough staff on duty and although I tried to get the attention of one of them for another (weaker) drink I was unable to do so. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Doubles are nicer than twins. Some rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor!

We are glad to see that our location as well as our staff services met your expectations on the other hand we regret to read that the room facilities were did not meet your expectations.

London is well known for its elegance and its warm welcoming. Experience it personally at our Longford’s Bar, typical British decoration where you can enjoy a big selection of English teas, or an inviting large choice of spirits and cocktails.

We hope to welcome you again back to Meliá White House soon! Like our page on Facebook at Meliá White House.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Luxbg
Reviewed 27 November 2013

nicely located, not far off from the busiest shopping district. It is a typical Melia with wide open spaces Lobby, all in classic white,marble and brass.
This is my second stay in this hotel over some 5 years or so, however i found that the rooms are on the "minimum " level. Very small, small beds and a bit boring.
Still it is a nice compromise as it is very clean and provides everything you could wish for a stayover.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your comments with all Tripadvisor users!

It is true that we have the chance to be located in central of London and we are delighted to see that in addition to that you had an enjoyable stay with us. However we are sorry to see that the room facilities did not meet your expectations. Let us invite you to try one of our Superior category rooms that are more spacious and be to your satisfaction.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stay here with my board for work every year for 2-3 nights at the end of September. The décor in the lobby, bar and restaurant are very visually pleasing.

My only gripe really is that every year I seem to get lumbered in a tiny room with two single beds. I book for at least 20 people and as the booker you think i'd get looked after! I was told at check-in that no other rooms were available with double, unless I wanted to pay an additional £40 for an upgrade. £170 is already quite expensive for a box room so adding more to that is absurd!

I wasn't happy when I got to my room, so I called reception and asked for a larger room and explained that we use the same place year in year out (for at least the last 6 years) and that I always get lumbered with these tiny rooms. After 30 minutes I'd heard nothing back, so called again and a manager called me back about 5 minutes later. They moved me to a bigger, and much nicer room where I didn't need to shuffle sideways around the two beds to get around the room.

Once i'd moved the experience was brilliant. The staff are very polite and friendly. Often the language difference is quite challenging as some staff struggle with different accents.

I used the bar area, the gym and the breakfast area whilst staying; all of which were extremely clean and pleasant to use. The breakfast has a huge array of options and also includes gluten free options (bread, pastries and cereal) which is quite rare I find in hotels.

The rest of my board had no complaints regarding the stay either so a very successful visit and a recommended hotel to use; just make sure you ask not to be put in a box room with two single beds!

Room Tip: Ask to avoid the tiny rooms with two double beds.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Melia W, Public Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear KaiserWheats,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on Tripadvisor!

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially the breakfast choices and the room were to your satisfaction. Moreover, we are proud to receive such a good feedback for our staff as we consider them as one of our strongest points.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon at Melia White House! Like our page on Facebook at Melia White House.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stay here for business and dont usually enjoy the experience due to the tiny room, however things seem to have started to improve from my stay last week.

I was in room 739 which isnt a large room but its bigger than some in this hotel. It had a king size bed which was comfortable. It seemed to be newly spruced up, i think the carpet and curtains were new.

Service at front desk was slow at check in. Why do i have to fill out a form with my name and address when ive stayed multiple times and have made an advance reservation???

Room service was good for dinner but very expensive. Breakfast was awful- i ordered poached eggs which were practically raw when they arrived.

• Stayed November 2013
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear jimbo1683,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor!

It is great to see that you appreciated the hotel facilities of our hotel however we are sorry to read that the room size and the breakfast were not to your satisfaction.

Let us invite you to try one of our Superior category rooms that are more spacious and can meet your expectations.

We hope to welcome you back soon!
Visit our website melia.com for the best available rates.
Birmingham
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I stay in a lot of hotels for business and this hotel is one of the best. Great location, comfortable rooms and friendly service. Food very good in the restaurant and great service. I would definitely go back and recommend for a social or business trip.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Melia White House, we would like to express our gratitude by selecting us as your business destination as well as sharing with us your impressions in reference with your recent visit.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed in special the service provided from our staff, room facilities, restaurants among others.

We will be more than honour to welcome you here again soon.

Best Regards
London
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed at Melia White House together with my family for 2 nights. During our stay the staff is very helpful and friendly. The room is small but clean. I'll definitely come back to Melia White House and recommend it to friends and families.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the comments provided about your recent stay at the Melia White House

We are very pleased with the warm comment about our staff and it will be a pleasure to share this with the rest of Melia team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you very much again and do not hesitate to contact me for everything you may need.

Regards,
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Very friendly staff and very good facilities. We had a problem with some wedding clothes at teh last minute an dthe staff went out of there way to help. When I go to London again I will definitely check there prices and book with the Melia White House if they are still offering competitive prices.
Excellent location for tourists.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write your comment about your recent stay at the Melia White House.

We are glad to hear that you were satisfied in particular with the service of our staff.
Please for future booking, contact directly with us. It will be a honor to take care of your booking personally and make your next stay the most enjoyable and exiting one.

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you at our hotel as guests again. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,