“An excellent experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #285 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“An excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stay at quite a few hotels in London and Melia White House is one of the best; there's something special about this hotel, the ambience of which you can feel as soon as you walk through the large and imposing revolving door. The hotel - a luxury-looking, 1930s white building as its name suggests - is located just over the road from Great Portland Street tube station in what's known as the Fitzrovia district of London, my favourite area of this city.

There's always a warm welcome from staff at Melia White House and the hotel's facilities and rooms are plush and comfortable. On this occasion I was greeted at reception by Michela from Italy, who was helpful throughout my stay, always giving a smile and remembering me by name as I approached the front desk for directions or assistance.

As a seasoned traveller I have come to appreciate that it's usually a good idea to join a hotel's membership scheme, in this case 'MeliaRewards'. As with most hotel membership schemes, it's free and so really, there's no downside, only upsides. On this occasion, being a member got me a complimentary upgrade to a superior room and a complimentary late check-out to 1:30pm (usually check-out is 12 noon). This is available to members subject to availability, and it's always worth asking.

Also, by booking direct online with the hotel, I automatically received a free £15 voucher to spend in the hotel such as at the L'Albufera restaurant or on room service or in the bar. Unfortunately, I didn't realise the voucher had to be used on the day of arrival (not the next day), but I will know next time. Another nice touch was that on the day I stayed, the hotel was giving out Melia Chinese cookies, with a coupon inside offering a prize. Mine was a 15% discount on my next stay.

The elevator arrangement is slightly quaint: you input your floor number into a pod sticking out of the floor, and then you are told which lift will take you to your floor. As you get into the lift, you don't need to press any more buttons, it takes you straight there.

The room was spacious, airy, spotlessly clean, sound proofed, air conditioned, with a huge kingsize bed and a bath with shower above and array of soaps, moisturisers, shaving kit and toothbrush, etc. I felt it was a home from home.

I cannot think of any complaints and will be happy to stay here again (and receive my 15% discount!)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Jon D,
WOW! We can be only extremely satisfied to read your complete and detailed review.

Many travellers will defeinitely take advantage of your feedback and hopefully we will be welcoming many of them that will be following your tips and past experience!

We love to be considered "special", this is how we consider our guests...

Thank you for taking the time to make us so happy, we appreciated it a lot and all the Melia White House team is already looking forward to welcoming you back soon again...

Visit melia.com for the best available rate for your next stay!

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We recently visited Melia for 2 days with 2 young children & booked in to a Junior Suite with Level access.

If you are wondering about the level ( as I was) its a private room / restaurant which has free soft drinks (orange juice, coke, etc) / tea & coffee all day, fruit & pastries. After 6 you get free tapas & alcoholic drinks (yes really! free!!) this included red and white wine and bubbly. They also have 2 mac computers, current magazines & huge chess boards.

Breakfast was also amazing, offering the standard full English, loads of fresh fruit, pastries, smoked salmon. I would recommending upgrading for the level if poss.

The room itself was fine, it was clean & well equipped. I was disappointed at having no bottled water in the room & they did not restock the tea but that's me just being picky. Great location for exploring & next door to regents park!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Level!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear funkyfish5867,
we are very happy to see that you have enjoyed The Level service!

We know how amazing is to spend a stay in a The Level Room enjoying The Level Lounge...the offer is unique and the service is personalized and at a very high level.

We don't include a bottle of water in the room because guests from The Level have free unlimited access to the Lounge, which is open from 7am to 11pm with a pretty huge choice of drinks.

We thank you very much for your lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a theatre break package. Upon arrival, it seemed as though the hotel staff were not ready for us, and some of our party had to wait quite a while for their rooms to be ready. They were well looked after, though, while waiting.

The lobby was a spectacular grandeous area. Our room was small, but beautifully decorated and the ensuite was good with a bath and a shower.

The beds were comfortable, and we both slept very well.

The breakfast was fantastic with a large choice of foods.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear JulioMonkey,

Thank you for reviewing your experience following you recent stay at the Melia White House Hotel.
It is a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our welcoming staff, especially that our room facilities met your expectations.
We are happy to read that you really liked our breakfast to The Place Restaurant. Next time, do not hesitate to ask for our Melia Balance brochure which is a healthy eating program which to enjoy definitely more the diversity and originality of our breakfast !

Please, visit our website melia.com in order to enjoy our last promotion,
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I cannot say enough great things about the staff and amenities at this hotel. From Alexis, who was there to greet me upon my arrival, to each and everyone, including Anna, Noemi, Carlos, Jose and ALL of the LEVEL staff, I commend, on their fine service, and hospitality. We all loved the breakfast Buffet and the evening cocktails, as well as the room itself. Our Master Suite was roomy and comfortable.
Perfect location in Mayfair! I will definitely recommend the Melia, to all my friends, and tell them to be prepared for a warm welcome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mary W,

Many thanks for leaving such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Melia White House Hotel.
It is particularly warming to hear that Alexis, Anna, Noemi, Carlos, Jose and all the Level staff were making you feel special in order to appreciate and having a more enjoyable and more memorable stay. A pleasure to share your lovely comment with them !

We are glad to see that you appreciated our practical location in Mayfair less than 2 minutes walking to Regents’ Park or 15 minutes walking to the British Museum !

Thank you very much for recommending the Melia White House to all your friends !
We look forward to welcoming you back personally one more time at the Meliá White House !
Please, visit our website melia.com in order to enjoy our last promotion,

Kindest regards,
Dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel location is nice,rooms bit tiny and the breakfast has been good during the stay. I was attending a training there and the setup is good actully. Am picky person when it comes to housekeeping and Melia didnt meet my exoectations. Everything was dusty in the room from mirrors to tables even the glass in the bathroom was dusty as well although we kept windows closed, its not in that room only where we stayed but also we have upgraded the room to family room but it was still dusty. I give this hotel 3 stars.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Sima_Droubi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, in the Melia White House.

We are pleased to hear that you could enjoy our breakfast in The Place Restaurant. We are deeply sorry to hear that your last experience of was not to your expectations and satisfaction.
We simply want to be perfect for all of our guests and very keen when guests leave the hotel with warm memories and in your case we failed to achieve this. We apologize for the inconvenience and we take your comments as an opportunity to improve our services.

We truly hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in a near future.

Best regards.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I had previously stayed at this hotel as a surpriae birthday present by mt husband.It was wonderful, I was treated extremely well , we stayed in an executive room with level lounge access which was suburb.
As I enjoyedt it so much I booked again upgrading it to a suite along with my husband ans son.
I was really dissatisfied, my suite was not ready ans I had to return twice (hour late).When I got to the suite it was awful, nothing like the picture at all, old scruffy and small.
I complained and was moved within the hour, to a much better suite..what I dont understand is how two suites which were the same price were so different?
Still no extras as promised though, on the site I was told I would get £15 credit per day to spend, and extras for my son ice cream, toys...
when I questioned this I was told to email to get it sorted and to this day have still not had a response....
I was so impressed the first visit am disappointed the second didn't live up to its expectations!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Julie A,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor following you recent stay at the Melia White House Hotel.

While we are obviously disappointed with your feedback about the service, we genuinely appreciate all your comments as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and to ensure our service is highly maintained.

Kind regards
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel was fabulous, arrived with a coach tour. The staff were very helpful. Our room was lovely, bathrobes and slippers were provided.
The breakfast was everything you could ask for, plenty of choice, the staff worked amazingly hard to ensure everyone was served as quickly as possible, all of the staff were extremely pleasant.
The location is brilliant for London sight seeing.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Twin room was spacious.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Grizlabeth,

Thank you for posting this very kind review about your recent stay at the Melia White House Hotel.

We are delighted that you had such a good experience of the hotel and it is always great to hear that our guests have fully embraced the facilities which we offer, which it certainly sounds like you have!

Don’t forget to like our Facebook page at Melia White House for our latest news and promotions.

Kind regards,