“Just what I expected from a hostel, but in a great location”
Review of Barkston Rooms

Barkston Rooms
Ranked #524 of 908 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The staff is very friendly and kind.
It's well located (subway is 1 minute on foot).
The building has not a lift, so we had to bring our luggage for 3 floors of stairs.
Rooms and shared bathrooms is clean enough, but in my opinion it's for very short stays. (max 3 days)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed in a dormitory for one night before leaving for Paris and we were glad to leave in the morning. The showers were filled with dirty stuff (maxi pads, hair, old plaster, etc.)
The hostel is well located, easy to find and on the same line as Kings Cross-St.Pancras station. The staff was friendly and helpful and we felt welcome.
In other words, pricy hostel, dirty bathrooms, just for a quick stay.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I went to this hostel to try and help my friend check in as he is not a native English speaker and suffers from a disability. The receptionist was rude and discriminatory and threatened to 'kick him out' if any one complained about him as he was in a shared room, soley on the basis that he was disabled. My friend understood perfectly what was going on and was hugely offended. I was mortified, so dissapointed that this was one of my friend's experiences of this country. There also did not appear to be any disabled access.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Philly L
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Last summer I went with my friend and our mothers to London. We looked for something cheap near to centre and clean as much as is possible in cheap central London hotels/ hostels. Pictures on the web site look good and we booked whole dorm for 4 with no bathroom. We arrived two hour earlier and the guy on the reception told us that our room is not ready yet so we can stay in 6 people dorm where are 2 women who will be moved. We had even own bathroom. What a suprise in the evening when none were moved and we shared room with young girl who even didn't speak English and older woman who was furious because she booked single room. So we went to the recepcion where another guy told us, they're full (in that moment arrived a group and asked if they have any free room- and they had!). As I was angry he told me we can go away and we "can sleep in a forest"! In the end he promised me pay back one night- he didn't. So this was about "friendliness"
The room we got was dirty, bedding wasn't changed in weeks and beds were weaky. Bathroom even worse- so the kitchen. We were happy when we left. Location and price is fine, but I recomand you to pay more and go clean hotel with friendly staff who won't ruin your mood.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Numbie
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Was in Ealrs court to visit family working in "the france show" at earl's court exhition center so this was the perfect location near their hotel on barkston gardens.

Booked on hostelbookers.com, a bed in a 6 bed male dorm. For £10 pppn how bad can it be? From the outside this place looks nice however on the inside it doesn't, whole inside could do with a makeover.

Anyway checked in and was put in a 4 bed male dorm, good, better than a 6 bed dorm. One bed left, the top bunk with no ladder, not good! Alright for me because I'm slim and athletic but if you're overweight: bad times!

Was a bad night's sleep, when I went to sleep the dorm was freezing but when I woke up in the middle of the night the heating had been put on full blast. The other guests in the dorm weren't noisy or anything but despite having already booked and paid for the second night it was just too tempting to take a single room in a hotel instead.

The showers were nice enough, relatively spacious, wasn't enough to keep me there though.

So in the morning I checked-out, I definitly wouldn't say it was poor or terrible but it's what it is for £10/night: average! Would I recomend it? Yes but only if you're on a very tight budget!

Room Tip: The dorms on hostelbookers are smaller than the dorms on hostelworld so I would advise booking that...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Max2609
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was awful. The desk clerk could not find the reservation for the person in line ahead of me. It took about 20 minutes to clear it up. And the same thing with mine - oh, do you HAVE a reservation? - this with me having the confirmation number in hand!! This was at 10:30 at night. When I came back down to the lobby at midnight, I found a line of over 10 people waiting to check in. The desk clerk never, ever apologized and wasn't real nice about it either.

My room was not cleaned yet - again, this is 10:30 at night! The desk clerk told me I should take a different room for the night, then change the next day. As I was telling him NO, the cleaning lady wandered in and he had her go clean the room.

Then it's a 10 pound deposit to get your key. The mattress in my room (a single) was a disaster, nothing but huge lumps. I moved the sheet and slept on the floor!! The room had a sink in it, marked clearly that the water was not for drinking. The "curtain" covering the window had holes in it. Paint is peeling everywhere in the building.

But the location is excellent, and the fridge in the room worked, and the bathroom was reasonably clean. This is a Last, last resort if you end up in London with no planning time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank beachlurk
Reviewed 27 May 2012

People have mentioned the rooms to be cheap. Our double room with shared bathroom cost us 36 pounds a night. Expensive in comparison to our other uk accomodation. The staff were rude, they gave us a key to a room which was already occupied! We opened the door to find the room full of other peoples belongings. The next room they gave us wouldn't open and we had to return the key several times before they coded it to work with the new room. When we returned that afternoon the door wouldn't open and they had to re code it again. The daytime temperature was mid 30's Celsius and every heater was on and couldn't be turned off. Instead they had all the windows left open in the building! The beds are really loud (sounds weird I know) but they are metal springs and they squeak with the slightest movement. All facilities are very dirty, the carpet is filthy and so is the bathroom and toilet facility. Very bad experience, just a warning that might save you some grief, if only I had looked at the review before I booked!
The rooms also smelt like marijuana. It felt very unsafe to leave our belongings in the room and sleep during the night knowing that staff were incompetent and give out random room cards to people

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kylie601
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Campanile Dartford
Best Western Plus Epping Forest
Cranbrook Hotel
Cranbrook Hotel
#9 of 15 in Ilford

Been to Barkston Rooms? Share your experiences!