“Worth the effort to locate this place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4,411 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$12 - US$37
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, British, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
London, United Kingdom
“Worth the effort to locate this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is definitely off the beaten track and very much a local Barnes pub in SW London.

I was with a group of 10 and it was a 9pm table so my expectations were limited at best.

From the moment we arrived hang weaved our way through a series of little lanes and cut throughs it was clear this was no normal pub. Whilst it was non descript from the exterior the greeting was warm and welcoming. The bar is small and the dining room was packed yet we did not feel uncomfortable at all.

Service was prompt and very relaxed.

I chose well, the Côte de Boeuf was served perfectly cooked, stunning fries (so much so that I ordered a second portion) and good quality condiments you would expect to see at any good restaurant.

Totally stuffed, I succumbed to their chocolate sundae. When it was served in a glass I thought 'oh dear this is where it will fall down'. I was wrong.

The mess in a glass was the most delicious chocolate dessert 'mix' I have had. I can't describe the content entirely but it did have ice cream, a warm brownie, a good warm chocolate sauce and something else I'm sure. Whatever it was they got it right!

The Brown Dog is worth a visit.

More from me on Twitter @busy_dan

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank DanSalmassian

Lake Placid, New York
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I'm a bit late in my review which was a year ago. Our dinner, the food, service & ambiance could not have been better! And, we adored that all the furry friends can have dinner as well. That was a treat, as we are too far behind in the US when it comes to furry friends in restaurants! Loved every moment!!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kelly T
London, United Kingdom
“Great boozer, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The brown dog is a gem. Very good food with a hugely friendly team. Also they have a great attitude to dogs, everyone welcome. Bit like crufts with great food and wine. Went at lunch time but have been several times in the evening. Check it out!!!

1 Thank RichWandsworth
London, United Kingdom
“Great food ambience and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Love this pub.

Great good ambience and service.

Great Sunday lunch today, albeit not cheap.

Great tiger prawns to start, beef and cheesecake, washed down with great cider and wine.

Only criticisms are some broken / loose chairs in dinning area (third time lucky today) and the tables are VERY close together.

BUT if you have a dog in tow or love dogs this is the place to drink / dine in the areas.

thank you Brown Dog for a great Sunday afternoon.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank MikeEdw
“Brown Dog Barnes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

My son had been to this restaurant about a year ago and thought it would be a good option for Saturday lunch on Mothering Sunday weekend. We live fairly locally so were keen to try somewhere different. We were all very disappointed. We started by ordering three mains but had to wait three quarters of an hour before anything was served. I had spiced cauliflower and spinach pie with mash and cavalo nero. The pie was filled with a bland, dark paste with tiny bits of cauliflower visible and no discernible taste of any spices. The mash was nice but the leaves hadn't been sufficiently drained and leaked water on the plate. My husband and son chose the Dorset crab gratin which they said was tasty and nicely cooked but my son found a rolled up ball of clingfilm on one of the plates which was unexpected! The waiter apologised and deducted the cost of the dish from the bill but we didn't stay for dessert. It was a shame as there was a Michelin sticker on the window and previous reviews looked promising. I'm afraid we won't be going back.

• Visited March 2014