“A bit pretentious” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8,162 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“A bit pretentious”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

It is just a standard pub, no more than that. While staff is generally OK, the manager appears a bit unprofessional. Minor booking mistakes (easily and kindly sorted out), a bit slow service, not a large selection of beers or food, and a bit expensive cocktails for what they actually are. Nothing is terrible, nothing is great. Nice atmosphere overall. I wouldn't mind going there again, but I wouldn't plan it.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Boston, Massachusetts
“Sunday Morning Hangover Cure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I only end up in here on a Sunday as there do a pretty epic breakfast! Newspapers are provided and I can't think of a better way to start the day.

Visited January 2014
“Phone and Coat Stolen”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Phone and Coat both stolen last night - I can safely say I definitely won't be returning. The staff are surly and drinks way too expensive for a really average bar - the toilets are revolting.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Alison H
“Blimey”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

Walked into the Betsy Smith at 10.44pm on a Wednesday evening for a quick beer after a hard days work.
Greeted by a drab empty bar, albeit decorated rather kitchly. Looked a bit like my Great Auntie Nora's living room, but with a slightly larger mini bar.
Bar lady was most unwelcoming. Infact, so unwelcoming she informed me that the bar had closed.
'Surely, according to British licensing laws I still have 15 minutes to order a beer?'. 'No. We close when we like.'

A fair enough answer if I were completely ratted, had a black eye from a recent physical altercation or was wearing a shellsuit. I just wanted a cold beer.
Swerve completely. Unless you want a cocktail served in a teapot. Or a prize winning sneer from the barlady. Or a pee.

3 Thank bronzeswords
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst birthday I ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Celebrating my birthday at Betsy smith kilburn was the worst idea ever. Door staff were incredibly rude and would not let any of my family or friends in that was under 25. As I booked a table, I was not told of the rule of over 25s, as I would of changed venue. I will never go there again. The experience has left me with a bitter taste.

• Visited January 2014