“Second review”

Ranked #8,507 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Second review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The first time I've visited the Betsy Smith it was AWESOME - the food, the drinks the service - all great!!!

Now obviously I've visited a few times since and unfortunately it doesn't live up to that very first time anymore.

I still like the interior and I haven't experienced any rude (only lovely) service.
The quality of the food and drinks though are very different. There is an amazingly experimental chef working in this kitchen, which sometimes works magic (like the first time we came or the first cocktail I had a week ago) and sometimes is plain wrong (Mojito Tuna Tartar and they've accidentally swapped sauces last time over our two dishes).

I still like coming here though… but wouldn't go for a meal anymore...

• Visited May 2014

New Haven, Connecticut
“Average Across the Board”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We rented a flat in this area of London when visiting last winter. The area is great and a resident in the area told us to try this place. I would give this place an "average" all the way across the board. The food was okay but not memorable. The beer was okay but mostly imports (we like trying local or regional things when traveling). The staff was okay but the service wasn't nearly as good as a lot of the other places we ate in this area.

The place is uniquely decorated, and there is a lot of seating. It's easy to get to and wasn't crowded.

• Visited December 2013
Hertfordshire
“Pleasantly surprised”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

My parents had arranged for us to have a family Sunday lunch here but I was dreading it after reading the reviews. I have to say though, I was indeed, pleasantly surprised! The pub wasn't too busy and we were able to get a table without booking. The staff were friendly and helpful. We had three roast chicken dinners and one veggie roast dinner. All the meals were tasty and plentiful and good value for money. It was "pub grub" but on the good side. We didn't have starters and were too full for puddings. My only criticism is that the drinks were on the pricey side. We would definitely eat here again.

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Incredible rudeness”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

The management double booked our table. when we asked for another table, the 'regional manager' screamed at us for 5 minutes, then threatened to call the police. .

Terrifying experience, stay well away!

• Visited March 2014
london
“Rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Shockingly rude staff, to the point where they ignore you at the bar if its busy. They over charged on a bill never even apologised.

Food was ok for pub food.

• Visited September 2013