“Just like being on holiday, in your own city”
Review of The Lido Cafe

The Lido Cafe
Ranked #11,475 of 24,091 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$8 - US$22
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In its contemporary form, The Lido Cafe was opened in 2009 following a massive refurbishment of Brockwell Lido. Open to the general public as well as swimmers, it is far from a typical poolside cafe. An elegant, sophisticated affair, it prides itself on locally sourced ingredients, the seasonal menu and a modern approach to dining. Paired with a handpicked European wine list and locally brewed craft beers, the menus change to suit the freshest available ingredients, sourced from independent producers. The breakfast and brunch selections are fresh, healthy and indulgent, with options to suit all tastes. Dinner is served in the summer months when al-fresco, sunset dining on the terrace attracts customers from all over London to this unique setting.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Sitting out by the water on a summer's evening, having relaxed cafe food (NB burgers highly recommended), a glass/ botttle of chilled wine and/ or a pint of Meantime lager has been one of my (sadly not regular enough) highlights over the last couple of years. I look forward to more of the same in summer 2014.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

After three attempts to go to the Brockwell Lido Cafe, we've given up.

The first time we tried to go around 12:30 and after waiting around for 10 minutes or so for any of the staff to acknowledge us by the door, were shuffled to a table basically behind a door. We instead insisted on a table outside and were rudely allowed to perch at the end of a large table occupied by a couple of other diners. When it came time to order we were told the cafe didn't start serving lunch until 13:30 - quite late and we weren't in the mood for breakfast, so we left.

This weekend, we walked into the Cafe about 10:30 (we were playing tennis in Brockwell Park) and asked to book a table outside for 13:30 - when they do serve lunch. Again, we waited for some time before being "greeted" by the host, who told us he could not take any more guaranteed bookings, but if we came back around 13:15 we'd likely be able to get a table.

We wandered back as told at 13:15, requested a table outside - again waiting for ages - and were told all the outdoor tables were booked. When we reminded the host he'd refused to let us book that morning but had told us we'd likely get a table, he said he'd meant it was a good time to come back for lunch, not to get an outside table as we requested.

With the numerous friendly restaurants and lovely Sunday market in Herne Hill, I'm not sure why residents are willing to continue to put up with this consistently rude staff at the Lido Cafe. It's not one we'll go back to unless management change their standards.

2  Thank JLV1204
DanTLC, Owner at The Lido Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience at our restaurant. As we approach the hotter months of the year, our outdoor tables tend to be in use at all times. Generally speaking the majority of our visitors want to be outside, which means we have a constant list of customers waiting on tables inside to be moved out.

We have 80 seats available at any one time, and due to our location and popularity, we only allow a certain number of these to be booked in advance, this means we can seat as many 'walk ins' as possible on any given day. This way we try and avoid dissapointment.

As a rule, curently we are closing out bookings up to a week and a half in advance. I would advise you, or any other customer who would like to visit and eat overlooking the pool to book a table and specify that you would like to be seated outside, that way we can guarantee you wont be dissapointed.

I have spoken to my manager who was working on the day in question, and as I have asked him to say, 'we cannot guarantee a table outside if it has not been pre booked, we always say to all our customers that when it is busy, there may be a wait, but we will try our best to get you a table. it may be inside, or it may be outside if one becomes available.'

We hope you choose to join us again. If you do choose to, please book a table in advance to avoid any dissapointment

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Went to Brockwell lido which goes back to the 1920's, very big pool and they have a cafe there which is adjoining it as well as an entrance from the outside members of public to use. It was an amazing hot day for London at least 25 degrees i was with my two children enjoying the outdoor pool. Decided to get a drink from the Cafe to take back to the pool. There is an entrance off the pool which we walked in from and inside it is small, we had to queue up along the edge of the people eating at their tables which was not very nice. after waiting for over ten minutes in the queue a waitress came up to me to say that you are not allowed to come in without shoes on( i was comming from the pool area and there was a man standing by the entrance with no sign about this and he did not say anything) I said can i at least order and come back, which was dismissed by No. will I have to get to the back of the queue again i asked, with a stern face she replied. Yes!! embarassed and humiliated came to mind so we walked out.
I made the mistakke of not bringing any drinks as i knew the cafe was there and last time i cam in the summer they had a pop up stand selling food and drink to the people at the lido. this timw this did not exist. So after a couple of more hours i had no chioce to get a drink and put my shoes on. this time it was still quite busy but not as bad. I still had to queue up by the tables and saw a person in front get a kind of ice lolly that had a picture of an apple on it. When aknowledged by the waiter, i say aknowledged, no smile and I felt like a hindrance to them like I am not wanted here in the first place. i asked for two 7Ups and a Coke, got the 7ups and was given a Cola, No Coke brand and was not told that they do not do Cocca Cola. I asked what sort of Ice lollies they do and was told Mango and Blackcurrent. i mentioned i had just seen the person in front of me get one that had a picture of an apple on it. He then said they have all got apple in them but are with Mango or Blackcurrent. So stuck up in there delivery of customer service and charged me £9.00 for all this too. i have worked in the hospitality industry for nealy 32 years and this place needs to get some training done on basic iteraction skills and the management should be embarrassed by this report and not get away with ripping off the public. Or the council should put there tenency up for review and find a company who can deliver the basics.

2  Thank Bradley1967
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Always good and good service, tasty specials and wines of interesting variety, that's about all one could say

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This is a nice cafe in brixton to have breakfast, brunch or lunch. Just in front of an olympic swimming pool you can choose to sit inside or outside. The food is good (also for vegetarian) and the service really ok. Come here to relax, read and eat.