“"The carvery" so disappointing”

The Georgian Restaurant
Ranked #1,620 of 24,242 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Knightsbridge
Description: Housed in an exclusive Knightsbridge setting at Harrods, The Georgian Restaurant offers traditional English and modern European cuisine. In a flawless setting, guests can enjoy swanky cocktails, or exquisite afternoon tea.
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The cold buffet was very good, but the carvery was very poor. The meal was lukewarm & a great disappointment. The vegetables looked as though they had sat there all day & really shouldn't have made it from the 'pass' The waiters were over keen to clear your plates, so much so we hadn't even finished and they were attempting to take them. One of my guests even had gravy spilt on them with the 'rush'
I have been coming here regularly for 11 years bringing a group with me of at least 10 ladies, this year was the worse I have ever experienced & to be honest I was embarrassed as I had arranged it. The service charge of 12.5% was a joke, after all you serve yourself. I challenged it & it was taken off the bill. Yes we paid a 'tip' but certainly not the £60 they wanted....Would I come again? NO WAY & I certainly would never recommend it

Harrods_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

I was so sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent visit to the Georgian, and the service you received.

Please do not hesitate to contact one of the Customer Loyalty team if you would like to provide us with further details of your visit. I hope that we may be given the opportunity to address this issue. You can contact us by email at customer.services@harrods.com or by telephone 0333 300 1234. Please quote the following reference when replying CS429175.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We had been looking forward to our afternoon tea experience for some months. Upon arrival the Georgian restaurant looked beautiful, with the christmas tree taking centre stage, the grand piano playing by itself. Once seated at our table, unfortunately we couldn't hear the grand piano at all week, as we were seated at the back of the restaurant. The odd christmas carol was played but it was mainly classical music and this left the Christmassy feeling sadly lacking. The afternoon tea for five of us arrived on two cake stands and didn't look much to feed us all! However the sandwiches were soon polished off and were very nice and surprisingly filling. The biggest disappointment though were the cakes. The flavours were so synthetic, too sweet and stodgy. As avid fans of the Great British Bake off we were looking forwarding to tasting the Mille Feuille and the macaroons but they didn't compare in looks to even the worst contestants on the show and if Paul Hollywood had tasted them I'm sure they would have all ended up in the bin! They were all awful. We did see some people, taking their cakes in little bags home but we weren't offered and wouldn't have accepted if we had. Having spent £150 Plus an automatic service charge of 12.5% I did feel some what cheated. The service was ok but trying to get anyone's attention to top up our teapot and advise how to pay the bill was almost impossible and they weren't even that busy. So disappointed...

2  Thank Loobyloo1619

I was so sorry to read that you were disappointed with your afternoon tea experience at The Georgian restaurant. Please accept my apologies.

Please do not hesitate to contact one of the Customer Loyalty team if you would like to provide us with further details of your visit. I hope that we may be given the opportunity to address this issue. You can contact us by email at customer.services@harrods.com or by telephone 0333 300 1234. Please quote the following reference when replying CS429172.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Not quite the decadent experience of one certain well renowned 'tea establishment' situated nearer Piccadilly Circus but definitely a solid performer.

Good service, pleasant surroundings on the terrace (recommended, away from the bustle of the main restaurant).

A plentiful supply of tea, sandwiches, scones and pastries. It's good value at around £30 and very casual. No need to wear a tie or even a pair of trousers but you probably won't be allowed in if you're just wearing your underwear!

1  Thank ilrich
Reviewed 17 November 2013

A friend bought me a champagne afternoon tea voucher for my birthday and booking was easy. On arrival my friend and I had to wait until a table became free and we were shown to a round makeshift garden table for 6 people that had been set up by the walkway from lifts to the TV department. It was draughty and had no ambience so I asked if we could be moved to another table in the main part of the restaurant.

Once settled, we were much happier and went ahead to order our teas. I understand that the staff are busy but our server did not smile and interactions were extremely limited. Perhaps management should address this as it does affect your impression of the experience. I was disappointed that Harrods do not stock decaffeinated tea and we had to ask for a full glass of champagne as the server only poured about 2/3 of a glass.

The sandwiches were fresh and delicious, as were the scones. We were so full that we could only manage 1 of the cakes on the top tier but in my opinion they were probably the least enjoyable part of the tea. I have had afternoon tea in many other top London venues and these were not particularly appetising. Unlike other reviewers we were not asked if we would like them boxed up to go, so I assume that if you want to take away leftovers, the you have to ask!

The room is lovely and the Christmas decorations made it look really festive. There was also a pianist playing in the background. Despite my comments above, we did have a lovely day and I would go again.

Debbie_Ratcliffe, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your visit to the Georgian restaurant.I am pleased that you enjoyed the Afternoon Tea. Please be assured that i have passed your feedback to the relevant personnel at Harrods. I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

For the £49 per head you pay for the buffet lunch (+12.5% service charge on top of that! you will probably leave disappointed. The main and fundamental problem is that the food isn't hot. The yorkshire puddings in particular were stone cold and the roast potatos and vegetables were warm at best. The location is obviously amazing and the pianist adds to the experience. Not sure about the huge Christmas tree up on the first weekend in November but never mind. But ultimately it doesn't matter how good the location is or how good the service is, if the food is poor then it makes it entirely pointless. Sadly this is the case.

To add a bit of balance to this review I would have to say that the deserts are amazing; plently of choice and delicious!

In summary though, I would advise against eating the buffet here. You'll get a hotter, fresher roast at Toby Carvery (I am being serious) and you'll be able to go about ten times for the same price!

1  Thank James M
Debbie_Ratcliffe, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

I was very sorry to learn of your complaint regarding your recent visit to the Georgian restaurant at Harrods.

I would be grateful if you would contact me, or one of the Customer Loyalty team, so we may have the opportunity to address this issue. You can contact us by email at customer.services@harrods.com or by telephone 020 3626 7111. Please quote the following reference when replying CS428211.