“there's better places to go, but has nice bar area”
Review of ORA Restaurant - CLOSED

ORA Restaurant
Price range: US$35 - US$48
Cuisines: Thai, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I went here with a friend on a tuesday nigfht at 7pm. We reserved with living socially and paid up front for a set meal for 2 for £25. The resturant was very quiet on a Tuesday night, the main bar and seating area was not in use that night probably becuase it was so quiet. This area is very open plan and has a nice bar area. We sat in the side area which is quiet narrow.
The set meal was a starter, a main and a glass of wine. The red wine was like vinegar and was extremely poor quality. The menu for us booking through living socially was very small. I wanted a pad thai with chicken but they would only offer me a vegetarian pad thai. I asked if they could make me a chicken pad thai and they told me i would need to pay for a new dish. I settled for a chicken and chilli dish. This was over poweringly spicy and i had to exchange with my 'asian red hot spice eater' friend. I then tried the beef and brocoli dish. To my surprise this did not contain any spice or flavour what so ever; this dish was very bland and un thai like.

The beer prices were very expensive at £4 a bottle of tiger beer and £4.25 for a bottle of water.

Overall, i would not rush back for the food. It may be a better dining experience on a thursday/friday/sat night when the main bar area is open. The available food on our ilving socially menu was very small and poorly delivered. In short there's better places to go for food, service was a little rigid and value for money is poor.

dont go out of your way to go there on a quiet night!

1  Thank Peter G

Reviewed 8 February 2013

Staff at reception not vey friendly. When we left they didn't even say goodbye. Had Pad Thai, was too lemony and not much else in it apart from noodles and tofu. There should have been a peanut and shallot garnish with pad thai but this was missing. No one came to ask if the everything was OK I had to ask for the garnish which is must for this dish. When I asked I was told we don't give it out because incase diners have a peanut allergy, why not ask this at the time of odering the dish. When the peanut garnish arrived it was only just that, peanuts chopped up. It should have been deep fried shallots and garlic, ground up and then toasted peanuts added to this. I am not Thai but I know this is how it should be so if you run a Thai restaurant strange this is not known to the chef!

2  Thank juliaScarborough
Reviewed 5 February 2013

We decided to take my cousin out for her birthday we planned to go this restaurant we bought cake balloons the whole thing when we entered the restaurant there was nobody there to greet us at reception, which meant we was standing around for a long time after being fed-up of waiting we went to look for people who worked there, I understand that it was a Saturday evening and its busy but I kid you not there were 4 waiters including the manager, our table wasn’t ready and the menu wasn’t clear. So after that we decided customer service clearly was unheard of in this place, but we thought “whatever” lets drink you can’t go wrong with cocktails…. we mould on the fruits that was on top of our cocktails!!! Then the food came it was ok there was nothing to complain about it was nice except the fact that they had to take my food back because it wasn’t cooked properly which was quickly rectified , after the mouldy fruits and the bad customer service all you could do was laugh about the situation. The only good thing about the restaurant was that all 4 waiters came to wish my cousin a happy birthday with the cake and candles so they pulled it together AT THE END.

1  Thank CbellaLondon
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I adore this restuarant. As simple as that! I have been twice now and just love it. The food is amazing, beautifully presented and so delicious I savour every morsel! Great decor, staff are both friendly and have just the right level of customer service, meaning they leave you to relax and enjoy your food without hovering! I love this place...can you tell?!!

1  Thank lifenlove
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We went here for my husband's birthday; I chose it based on squaremeal.co.uk and I was looking for a nice Thai restaurant in London. The food was absolutely excellent. The staff were polite, especially when we wanted to move table as the table was wobbly and situated under the air conditioner. For a Saturday night it was not busy so it lacked a little atmosphere; however the decor and the lighting still made it romantic. We would go here again.

1  Thank BoMS2410