“Very disappointing food”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The Regent is a decent pub, but the only food experience i've had there was very disappointing.

We had a large group pre-order xmas dinner form a set menu. The service was ok in general, but the food was very poor - personally I had beef rib with some veggies.. Ive never seen so much fat on a piece of meat - I wish I had taken a photo as its hard to imagine that half of what is on your plate is just fat. I complained to the waitress - there was no apology, she just spoke with her manager and they brought out a little more meat on a side plate and left me with a plate of fat, which I thought was terrible service.. the next waitress who took away the side plate actually commented on how much fat there was and grimaced - said it all really. Again no apology.

Others at the table had a similar, but not quite as bad, experience with the beef. Anyone who had turkey commented on how dry and tough it was, and the roast potatoes were like rocks.

What a shame, nice pub but I would never eat there again, and obviously I wouldnt recommend it to anyone else. The food was poor, and the reaction when bringing it to the managers attention wasnt much better

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Regent is a lovely pub, cosy, nice décor lovely for an after work drink. I like the way the football is on, but in a separate area so you can still be there without the football crowd and noise taking over your evening. Something for everyone!

However, I feel the drinks are very over-priced, especially the wine! With regards to the food, I have been here for a Sunday roast with my family, thinking the food would be good, which it was, but... lots was wrong.

Firstly, we asked the waitress to recommend a red wine, and she had no idea about the wine menu. I have been a waitress before and the restaurant made us all taste the wine and the food so we could recommend dishes and wines to people's particular tastes.

I ordered a pork belly roast, which I have to say was absolutely delicious, however, I asked for some apple sauce for myself and my boyfriend and the waitress came back with a McDonalds size paper ketchup pot. Why so tight with condiments? We have just spent £16 on our roast dinner, and we would like a decent portion of apple sauce with it. I had to ask her for some more, and she came back again with just one tiny paper pot, I then had to find her and explain that we wanted more than a tiny teaspoon and eventually got a decent portion.

As someone has reviewed below, I also think the carve your own roast does not work. My mum and dad ordered the chicken to share, and were waiting 15 minutes for it to arrive, after ours. Meaning our dinner had gone cold by the time it got there, then they had to carve there's, which then got cold in the process. Nice idea, but it doesn't work.

The waitress was really slow and seemed a bit ditzy, possibly a Sunday hangover! It was very frustrating in the end.

Another issue is the seating, we were crammed in a corner with two other tables on top of us, so much so that the waitress had to ask my boyfriend to actually get out of his chair, mid meal so she could squeeze past and serve the people sat next to him, kind of ruined the ambience a bit.

For drinks lovely, but certain areas are letting the place down.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I felt this pub was disappointing I'm afraid.

We had a big group so the idea of carving your roast was fun but the reality was it took bloody ages and all our food was cold by the time we were finished carving. The beef was good quality but hugely undercooked which to be honest was a bit worrying as roast meat is pretty easy to get right. There were not enough side dishes for the number of people but the staff were fairly attentive in bringing more. The staff were relatively friendly to be fair. It was really quite expensive also for what we got.

I wouldn't go back.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Came here as a group of 4 to eat

Food was well presented and looked much better than it actually tasted. Was lacking flavour.

Very busy pub.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The regent is a local for us, good for a beer with friends or the rugby but after avoiding eating there because of a bad experience a year ago we went back for a roast on a rainy afternoon. It was terrible, very few veg, burnt potatoes, a slightly sweet Yorkshire pudding. For £16 you would expect much better. This is our second bad experience so will be giving the regent a miss in the future.