“Pleasantly surprised”

Price range: US$28 - US$112
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Description: An elegant British restaurant and bar, Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's of St. James was set up as a collaborative effort between Marco Pierre White and Sir Rocco Forte, with the intention of serving the finest authentic British cuisine. Presented and served with the style and flair that Marco Pierre White's restaurants are renowned for, you can enjoy a combination of classic and contemporary British cuisine from a menu that changes every three months to ensure that every visit offers a different dining experience. Wheeler's of St James's is situated on the site of Madame Prunier's fish restaurant, one of the capital's most fashionable eateries in the first half of the last century. The restaurant's glamorous dining room, private room and bar belie its traditional exterior and have made it a popular fine dining destination. The spacious interior allows a host of private events, launches and parties to be catered for. For smaller groups, Wheeler's of St. James's stylish private room is a superb location for business meetings, private dinners or exclusive receptions. Just a step back from the bustling pace of Piccadilly, Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's of St. James has quickly established itself as a haven of fine dining and discreet, considerate service. A firm favourite with locals, tourists and visitors to Central London, the passion of the staff promises the best food and the best service for your visit.
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

After reading some of the other reviews I was slightly dubious about our visit. Especially since we had booked through a Living Social deal. However, we had a really enjoyable meal. The food was delicious , our steaks were all cooked exactly how we wanted, and the staff were very attentive. The only downside, and the reason it didn't get 5 stars, was the atmosphere was quite flat. Aside from this I Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We ate very early, and for a while were the only clients. Eventually two more theatre going couples joined us, so we were rattling around in a big space., the six of us. The enormous downstairs room is clearly rarely used, but one must pass it on the way to the loos, and, additionally, some artworks of a rather racy nature. The staff were very charming and obliging. We ate the very reasonably priced theatre menu; I enjoyed my liver and bacon served on a bed of spinach, and the filter coffee was very good. Those of us who remember Wheelers in the old days when it was a very smart and expensive fish restaurant may well feel that Marco Pierre White's Wheelers has come down in the world quite a long way. For a start, fish no longer really figures that prominently. The decor in this room is pretty dire. I would go back for a reasonably priced promptly served meal if it suited me, but as destination dining, probably not.

1  Thank Black_Doris36
Reviewed 5 December 2013

It lacked sole and was nothing like a chip off the old block. Service was a little raw. Atmosphere definitely off the bone. Nett value; simply disappointing.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We took friends to Wheelers last Saturday evening for a special dinner. We had been on a previous occasion which we thoroughly enjoyed. This time, however, it was completely different. A major letdown. Service was good but the food quite frankly was awful. Battered fish & chips very greasy & poor. My ribeye was tasteless and tough. One friend's well done steak was sent back with blood still dripping from it. My wife's ribeye was inedible & was sent back. She then chose fish which she left. We were still billed for it but after complaining it was removed from the bill. The 12.5% service charge (plus VAT) was still on of course. Starters were very good, but the Black Sheep beer was flat ..... and then ran out. I know this all sounds pedantic but we gave desserts a miss & I bought a Twix on the way back to the hotel to fill up. Come on MPW. I'm from Leeds too!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

A business associate took me there for lunch and booked a table, which he really need not have as the venue was 70% full on the upper part as they also have a lower part which was empty.

Service was good, attentive and with smiles. Very accommodating and polite. The menu looks very good but as always I never read them and leave the staff to surprise me. What caught my eye was the set lunch menu which off the top of my head was about £17 for 2 courses. I had the cauliflower soup - just right for a freezing cold day and for mains we both had the fish and chips. My first comment was that it was fresh, crispy and just how I like fried flush as opposed to it wrapped in paper and soggy..... I also asked to pollute my plate with ketchup for the chips. The two courses were more than enough and I had my eye on the Eton Mess but declined as I was bloated.

Overall, I found it to be very good and I would go back now I know where it is. I have been to a few MPW venues and always have found them very reasonable and yes there might be some hiccups sometimes but nothing that can't be sorted. A fun lunch indeed.