“Beware service charge hidden in the middle of the bill!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Chawol - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chawol
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
London, United Kingdom
“Beware service charge hidden in the middle of the bill!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

An update to my earlier positive review: on my last visit, the service charge was added in the middle of the bill as "S--- C---" again. The only reason to do this is to fool customers into paying the service charge twice, so I can no longer recommend this restaurant. This is a shame because I find the food and service otherwise good.

• Visited March 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Good food but v bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

The recent lunch buffet has now stopped but because I knew the food was good, I introduced 2 friends to this restaurant. First of all it wasn't a busy place so you would have expected a more he attentive or at least a more polite service. Clearly not! Our waiter threw the menus at us and grunted with each throw. When we asked about the £9.95 lunch menu we were greeted with "you can only have one starter and one choice of curry - and you had to have plain boiled rice! Can't have anything else!".. So we decided to go a la carte. It was just the manners and attitude of this waiter that has embarassed me so much, I don't think I can ever recommend this restaurant ever again. Good food or not, the service def needs improving!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank dazy m
London
“sleeping staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

Horrible staff, the food is fine, but the staff is RUDE and very slow, takes then long long time to bring you the food and get confused with an order for only three persons. There are many Indian restaurants in London, I can be bothered to go back there

• Visited January 2013
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Look out or bogeys....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

I went to Chawol a while ago for my birthday, first thing's first, customer service is not their forte! Firstly, we asked if we could share a couple of portions of rice between us, they refused and said everyone HAD to order rice. A small issue, but not a friendly start.

We were served by grumpy waiters, one stood and PICKED HIS NOSE whilst waiting for us to finish!!! If they were happy for the staff to do that in the restaurant, goodness knows what goes on in the kitchen! Surprisingly we didn't finish our meals....

London, United Kingdom
“Good quality food in spacious modern surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

The menu has some interesting dishes you won't find at run-of-the-mill Indian restaurants. The food is very tasty, probably the best curry in the neighbourhood. I've been going there on and off for years, and I've never seen the waiters be rude to customers so I really don't understand the previous comments. A couple of years ago, they did have a phase of hiding the service charge in the middle of the bill, which seemed underhand, but I think they've had a change of management and that has stopped.

• Visited December 2012