“Tough beef”

Soltan
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Esfahan is a Persian restaurant and lounge in Putney that is loved for its hearty portions, authentic Iranian food and stylish interior. Located on the Upper Richmond Road, Esfahan is suitable for business dining, family outings and parties, and the dining room is an inviting space decorated with tiled floors, exposed brick walls, fresh flower arrangements, Persian carpets and colourful artworks. Esfahan hosts a belly dancing show every Thursday night which adds to the theatrical atmosphere, and the restaurant also has easy parking, large screens for sports fans and a reasonably priced menu that includes an extensive range of salads, meze, grills and traditional Persian puddings.
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We were on our way to the Hare and Tortoise and noticed Soltan. We were the only ones there at a Saturday lunch time. We ordered a mix grill. The rice was superb, so was the chicken and the lamb but the beef was inedible - tough as old boots - I've read other reviews since and people have commented on exactly the same tough old beef so don't waste your time ordering it - if you are going for the mixed grill tell them not to waste their time cooking the beef or ask for more chicken or lamb instead. I felt the waiter was trying to overhear our conversation - he probably wasn't or wasn't in the least interested but being the only ones in the restaurant it felt as if he was staring at us - would have been much better if he could have got on with something instead of looking bored staring and wishing we could eat faster and get out! The beef and the atmosphere put me off going and it wasn't cheap either!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I ordered the grilled meats, which came with long-grained saffron rice and salad. I loved the quality of the rice, meat and chicken. The rice was seasoned well which is a problem I usually have in many restaurants, the spicy chicken had a great kick to it, I have many Persian friends who cook for me so I can tell the chef is a real Persian!

1  Thank Anonymous3578
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I'd walked past this place several times, stopping to inspect the menu on more than one occasion. Today I and a couple of friends took the plunge for lunch, and walked away a couple of hours later with smiles on our faces. Lovely, freshly prepared, aromatic and subtle food, perfectly cooked and served with polite discretion. I had the spicy meatballs after delicious dolmeh and accompanied by the garlic bread (which was made before our very eyes). For one of our party who is a vegetarian, the menu is superb (he loved his aubergine stew), and while the meat selections are a little limited, everything seems thoughtfully and carefully prepared. Having visited Iran and tasted 'the real thing' I can only recommend this restaurant. The saffron rice alone is worth a visit, it is wonderful.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We visited sultan yesterday,nice ambience and nice food,there was set menu for groupon customers so no choice mix grill was great desert is vanilla icecream it was ok.
The only thing I found bit prizy was can of 7up and bottle stella cost me 9£,bit much for canned drink.Service was good overall good!!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Big portions, great meat and fantastic staff. What else can I say. Garlic bread with mirza ghasemi was my favourite. This is the best Persian restaurant in south west.