“This place has gone down hill ”

YO! Sushi - Russell Square
Ranked #14,805 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I have been coming to Yo! Sushi for years and I have observed on my last trip with family on Saturday that it really has gone down hill. There were hardly any sushi on the conveyor belt bar. The ones that were there were things with crab stick and mayonnaise, not authentic Japanese sushi.

I ordered a katsu curry which was luke warm and not very good. The pumpkin koroke was nice but most of the food was poor quality.

There used to be a lot of sushi on the bar now you have to order and wait ages to receive anything. My order from the menu took ages to arrive despite it being a third full restaurant.

There are newer reviews for YO! Sushi - Russell Square

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We returned here, having eaten here before. We like Yo Sushi, so we know what we are getting.
On arrival, a lady shouted across the restaurant to us when we were waiting by the door. She should have walked across to us, and spoken at normal volume. This was bad.
Otherwise all was ok. We had a chat with the manager, who was conducting her duties. She is a very nice Scottish lady.
We liked the food we had as ever.
So overall it's good, and we will return. Just that little service issue to work on.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I'm a regular Yo Sushi customer, my favourite being the South Bank restaurant. I popped into this one on Russell Square for a quick snack before meeting a friend. It is well below parr and in need of some attention. Hygiene standards appeared to be poor. The seats were littered with food debris and I had to cleaned one before I sat down, the floor was dirty, benches dirty, the conveyor belt and open kitchen looked in need of a deep clean. I waited 20 minutes for Tuna Selection and when it arrived it did not resemble the photo, the sashimi was cut so thin it was transparent and the dish was not so fresh. The pickled ginger had seen better days and needed replaced from the self service pots, all of which were dusty and grubby. The spicy squid dish was passable but not up to the standards of other branches. This place needs a deep clean!

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Cute concept, but I thought it was overpriced and the sushi generic. Pleasant staff, nice when explaining how things worked. The whole place made me think of "sushi in a warehouse, complete with conveyor belt."

Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Granted, trying to find good sushi when youre not sure of the area and youre out of the country is pushing it, Yo Sushi did fullfill my craving but there were some issues: 1) It says they were open till 11, in reality the kitchen closes at 9:30 so if you get there past then what you see is what you get, 2) The male staff was not friendly at all.