“A hidden gem!”

Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
London
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Recently discovered this place and it's now the only Chinese I'll go to. Have yet to be disappointed by any of the dishes. The prices are the same as the others in the area but the quality is far superior. The staff are friendly and have never had an issue with any of my orders.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank ledge69

london
“Terrible experience, no manager around, very bad customer service”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Today I decided to have a lovely seafood soup, so I went to Oriental taste and asked for one. They charged me £5.50 and I went back so happy to my office only to discover when I opened it that the SEAFOOD SOUP was basically mushrooms sailing on top.
I went back thinking there had been a mistake but I was wrong. That was the actual soup and it had a prawn, a squid and 2 fish balls.... and lots of mushrooms....
When I asked for the manager.... there was not manager, when I asked for my money back I got a "NO". I left the soup there and had to go somewhere else to get a decent lunch.
The customer service @ Oriental taste sucks

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank arantxaYpaul
“A local institution with a loyal following, fresh and great quality.”
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I have been a loyal customer here for several years. Consistently good, my favourite is still the Vietnamese soup, both the Pho and the Bun are delicious. Staff always so eager to please, it's great for lunch.

1 Thank Daniel W
xwendiex, Guest Relations Manager at Oriental Taste, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
Thank you for your lovely review! Your loyalty means so much to us. In the end we are only here for the customers because without our lovely customers we won't be here. And to have people coming back is our lovely treat. Our soup noodles are amongst many people's favourite as we do both Thai, chinese and Vietnamese cuisine suited for all taste and all in BIG bowls using fresh ingredients. I hope you can continue to be our lovely loyal customer. We will always try and make you feel as welcome and as excited every time you come and visit.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good local Chinese”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Very good Chinese - perfect for lunches. The decor is... dated but come for the food and the friendly service! As a local business ourselves, we like to show support when we can!

The food is very flavourful though I suspect (like all Chinese restaurants) there's a bit of MSG involved. I would love to see the menu updated to minimise the use of MSG, but other than that, it's just like the way mammi and pappi makes!

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Michael J
xwendiex, Guest Relations Manager at Oriental Taste, responded to this review, 10 May 2011
Thank you for you lovely review. Our portions are definitely like the portions of a mamma's or papa's cooking, generous and fulfilling. But great news, I've spoken to the manage today and he has said that if a customer request for no msg he can miss it out. This is because all of our main dishes are cooked from scratch when you order them so we can leave certain ingredients out or add extra, e.g. chillis. Of course we cannot promise 100% no msg as some of the pastes we use to make our sauces contains msg. So whatever makes you happy with your meal just ask and we will try our best to suit your needs. Once again thank you so much for being our customer and writing this review.
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing soup - perfect for lunchtime”
Reviewed 8 May 2011

This is one of London's hidden gems. Tucked away just off Gray's Inn Road near Farringdon/Holborn, this pan asian restaurant usually only attracts the locals. The food is a mix of asia ranging from Thai curries, Vietnamese soups to classic Cantonese noodles. The portions are large and filling with prices ranging from £5-£7.

The decor inside is a little dated and its not somewhere I'd go for an evening meal. However its perfect for getting out of the office at lunchtime, especially in the winter. The waiting staff are also very friendly and often customise dishes to my liking.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Britsinvade
xwendiex, Guest Relations Manager at Oriental Taste, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We believe that customers' needs comes first and for them to enjoy their meal as much as possible. As everything we prepare is all from scratch we can always mix around with ingredients so you can have it tailored to your liking, whether you like to have it without certain meats or veg to having it with extra chillis or lemon. We cook from the heart hoping we have fulfilled your request and have satisfied your hunger to the best of our abilities. I must be honest we do put more effort into our cooking than to the interior design but it means you able to have good fresh cook food at a good affordable price =). We are also more able to create a more informal and relaxed atmosphere with the front staff. Once again, thank you for taking your time out to comment on us =).