“Backpacker's bed for bargain price”
Review of Arsenal Tavern

Arsenal Tavern
Ranked #558 of 838 Speciality Lodging in London
Budapest, Hungary
“Backpacker's bed for bargain price”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The room was extremely small and crowded, hardly any space to turn around, I could pack my luggage only in the corridor at the lockers room, and the (common) bathroom is very small too. Really just a bed, do not expect any private place. Not really clean, but neither awful. However the main hall is atmospheric, you get a locker (5Ł deposit for the key), free wi-fi and even a simple (cornflakes and toast) breakfast is included in the price, and the location is quite good (in the zone 1-2, about 6-7 min walk from Finsbury or Arsenal tube station). I recommend if you have no high needs and just want a bed for 1-2 nights for bargain price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

First of all it's not bunk beds they have..there is 3 beds bottom(on the ground) middle and top (way too high and difficult getting up and down) you wouldn't want to be big because the mattress is very narrow and thin. Secondly , went to take a shower NO WATER!, ..supposedly this is a common problem, not even in the taps. Seems to be first come first clean. I was also told when there is water it only lasts in 15 second bursts and is sometimes cold.
Just for the record I travelled for 2 yrs staying in loads of hostels some bad but I've never written a review but I think no water takes the biscuit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

london
Reviewed 5 September 2013

beds are squeeeky the rooms are very small and packed,not bad if you are staying as a group but not ideal for strangers in one room,the rooms are too small.

bathroom cleanliness was poor/average as you'd expect in a public facility definitatley doesnt exced your expectations.

ok for the price,last minute stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

This place is good if you have low standards and aren't staying for too long. I stayed for 4 nights I believe (which was too long) but for 10 euros a night I couldn't complain. Breakfast was cereal, coffee/tea, and toast, which was more than I got at my last hostel so I was thankful for that! The rooms however were dirty and although I saw the cleaning people, I don't think they ever came into the rooms. Our private bathroom shower sucked because I couldn't reach it to turn it on...I'm 5 feet tall and if I was traveling alone I wouldn't have been able to use it but I was with my boyfriend so he had to come in and turn it on for me. What kind of shower has the on button 8 feet up!? Also, the other showers were awful. They had fungus (looked like mushrooms) growing out near the base. I don't understand why those weren't just cleaned up...overall it wasn't an awful place but it wasnt the cleanest. Staff were really nice and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I visited here for a convention as I was press and it was the cheapest option available at the time. My friend and I arrived and while the atmosphere of the other guests was very pleasant, I felt that I had still spent too much money for what it was worth. The place was dingy and dirty and the fact that everything was painted black didn't help with my perceptions of this.

The rooms weren't too bad; the beds were relatively comfortable - although I was very unimpressed with the fact that the toilet seat was broken and our ensuite shower wasn't even working. I'm aware that there were various showering vicinities next door, but for a 9-person room, that's still unacceptable. This place needs to learn to cater for those who value their privacy and/or have low self-esteem, like myself.

The free "continental" breakfast was hardly continental - three different cereals, Tesco Value coffee/tea and toast, all with Tesco Value-equivalent spreads. The gesture was appreciated and we did like chatting to other guests as we ate and the fans installed were a godsend in the height of summer.

Long story short, this place is more or less ideal for someone constantly on the move and only planning to crash the night. But I wouldn't recommend staying for any more than that. There was next to no customer service, the place looked like it was in need of some serious refurbishment and no one should have to pay £10 for a room key. I understand it covers the costs if it's lost or stolen, but a key is kinda important if you're staying somewhere. I shouldn't have to fork out to have access to my own bed, for crying out loud.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Very nice pub, didn't have a room, but was very good value food, basic menu, but was very nice and lots of it, staff were very friendly, service was quick. Very trendy decor and comfy.............................................

• Stayed June 2013
Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Reviewed 2 June 2013

friendly staff, free breaky, pub downstairs, this place has a lot of good things, though the beds aren't the most comfortable (and squeaky) they are acceptable, also the light thats constantly on gets rather annoying, the only thing that brings it down are the showers, only 1 of 3 working, with a push button that stops every 5 seconds, pretty small and nowhere to put your clothes except on the floor, also there's something seriously wrong with the shower head, sprays you full force in the eyes most of the time, and don't turn it on while the doors open, otherwise all your clean dry clothes, on the floor, will get soaked, with no lock on the door this bathroom is very poor, and i've been having showers from a bucket the past couple months, so that's really saying something, though everything else is great

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo