“small, but friendly”

PubLove at The Steam Engine
Ranked #53 of 896 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed there in december 2012 with my friends, it was the first time I stayed in a hostel and i loved it.
The 12-bed bedroom is small and there are few space between your bed and the bed above yours, but is very clean and the mattress is good.

There are a pub very nice and tipical, you can see many people from london going there. In 25th december they made some food for free for us and the other people hosted there!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for PubLove at The Steam Engine

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I just completed a 5 night stay at The Steam Engine and would highly recommend it. The building itself was adorable - bar (with also served pizza) downstairs and sleeping area upstairs. The staff is great - they even got us checked in early the day we arrived since we were dead on our feet so we could sleep. Location is very good. Close to a tube station, Big Ben/Buckingham Palace, SOHO area. And the bar downstairs is a great hangout and we meet a lot of cool people.

Only MINOR negatives to note: rooms are a little small with 12 people and all the luggage (but honestly, how much time do you spend in there?) but I felt completely safe leaving my bag out. Also, there are only 2 showers for three rooms of people, but I had hot water each time and timing was never really an issue if you are careful.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My friend and I had a short stay at the Steam Engine before starting our tour, but it was very pleasant. The room had several bunk beds (I took the middle bunk), but they were clean and occupied by other Canadians as well (surprisingly). I did not feel like my luggage was in any danger of being stolen as can be the case for other hostels. You are also able to store your luggage in a locked room during the day.

I did not think that I would enjoy the hostel life as much as I did. We met many amazing people while staying at the Steam Engine which also doubles as a local pub. The bartenders there (Daniel and Rense) were also very friendly and made the stay more fun! Shout out to them (thank you again Daniel for the tour!) :)

From the good drinks and friendly service hopefully you're stay at the Steam Engine is as pleasant as mine!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cecilia N
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights and it was excellent! The people at the bar were very nice folks! The food that they make is great! I am a student on low budget so this option made a lot of sense. It is very closed to the London Eye. You can walk to Soho (bar/club area)! The bed situation is interesting because there are 12 beds in a room, but it all works out well! Wifi and lockers were available!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Burgosjj
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I spent one night at this hostel and however I was a little bit reluctant I must say I left with a very possitve impresion.
The hostel is well located, even though the street is a bit odd. It´s about 20 minutres walking from th Parlament.
The rooms are clean and spacious and the shared facilities too. As a but i will say that showers are very few and you might have to wait.
Breakfast is included, basic, but ok for the price, toast, jam, cereals and hot drinks.
There is a lively bar downstairs where locals and backpackers meet.
The hostel is very secure and lockers are provided in the room.
Overall I recomend it as the price is fairly cheap bearing in mind you are in London and the place fulfills all your necesities

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank miguel r
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The hostel has a really great location and the staff are very nice, however the bedroom is too small and the triple bed is kind of dangerous if you are not used to this. There are only 2 bathrooms in the hostel, and only one has a good shower with hot water. Despite these facts, the hostel was worth it because of its location and the pub that was very nice and had a delicious pizza! I would recomend it for anyone who is not too fancy :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 60Penny
Reviewed 19 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in a 9 bed dorm, considering this the amount of sleep we got wasn't bad. The beds were comfy, however the room was pretty cramped. The complimentary breakfast to start the day was a definite plus, as was the access to the bar downstairs and close proximity to Lambeth north station, as well as a lot of the main sights of London. Hygiene level in the bathrooms was average, but good enough to put up with.
Staff were pretty friendly though there wasn't a whole heap of presence from them up in the actual hostel! Overall not a bad stay, and would probs stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2012