“Disappointing first experience of afternoon tea”
Review of Whites Restaurant

Whites Restaurant
Ranked #17,142 of 24,109 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Conveniently located close to Hyde Park and Kensington Garden, Whites Restaurant serves a wide choice of modern British and European cuisine in the 4-star Thistle Hyde Park Hotel. Situated on the ground floor of this Victorian building, Whites Restaurant is a stylish dining destination. It is a popular dining venue when taking a break during a shopping trip at nearby Oxford Street, Harrods and Selfridges. A comfortable and contemporary setting, within easy walking distance of Notting Hill Gate, Whites Restaurant is an elegant place in which to enjoy a delicious meal for all occasions and appetites, complemented by an extensive selection of classic and New World wines.
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I decide to treat my sister to afternoon tea as neither of us had done it before in London. Let me start by saying the staff were very friendly and helpful but that’s really the only positive I have of the experience. The seating area was cozy but there were 2 large flies constantly buzzing around which in itself was very off putting. There were 3 types of sandwiches: cucumber, ham and salmon. The salmon ones are the only ones I ate but didn’t finish them. They were okay but way too much butter. The scones were fresh and warm so that was nice but the brownies hard and dry. There were some custard tarts with fruit, again the fruit was starting to change colour so must have been out for a while (our reservation was 3.30 but we arrived about 3.15) and 2 tiny meringues, again of poor quality. It was a real shame as we’d really been looking forward to this but between us we ate, 3 of the finger sandwiches, half a brownie, a scone each, tea and a glass of champagne – hardly worth what we paid.
Like I said the staff were nice but it was the food we were paying for and as such felt very let down.

3  Thank Godsgloriousworld

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Well we got this through Travel Zoo, paying £25 for 2.
We were not greeted on arrival.
We were kind of shown to a table very basically set.
The champagne, cakes etc were nice enough, the milk had a hair in it.
Once the food , tea etc was placed on the table we never saw another waiter. They never came to ask if everything was o.k or if we wanted more tea. In fact we felt that we weren't welcome to more Tea. Recently I had been to the Rubin at the palace which was fantastic, wonderful experience, a similar price. I'm afraid Rubins at the palace made the Thistle Hyde Park look second rate and shabby.
We left after we had finished and nobody acknowledged we were going or said goodbye.
We had been quite prepared to leave £10 tip, that I tucked back into my purse.
Seriously, don't bother with this if it comes up again.

2  Thank Sharon P
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My friend and I went for an afternoon tea we paid £26 on a deal from Travel zoo. We only received two scones which were cold and some other poor tasting/cheap pastry which were inedible. The tea choices were limited and the sandwiches weren't fresh and the filling weren't good either. Great Location , nice atmosphere but nothing more. I need a refund!!!!!!!

3  Thank jadcouture
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Got a voucher off some website as a Christmas gift and went there shortly after New Year. Honestly, it is the worst meal I have ever had, this is not truly a restaurant, it is a hotel bar doing over priced inedible "restaurant" food.

The beef wellington was dry and salty but we did not send it back as we had already sent the pork belly back which was indescribably disgusting. The starters were terrible and even the desserts which had been pre plated were awful too (how you can mess up a crumble I do not know). The replacement fish risotto was also abysmal.

The waiting staff were quite nice but if it had not been a pre paid voucher we would have left after the first course....................looking at their bookings it seems the only trade they get is through pre paid vouchers and I think the reason that this place is called Whites is to possibly confuse those buying the voucher that they are going to an altogether different "whites" with a much better reputation.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

4  Thank paulx2
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We had dinner here whilst staying down the road close to Hyde Park. We had a voucher but the service and food were not up to the standard we were expecting. Don't know if it was because we had a voucher or what. Starters ok, mains average and small quantities and desert was very poor (we had baked Alaska which consisted of ice cream covered with cold meringue that had seen a torch waved across it.) Would not recommend.

3  Thank Moira A