“Great atmosphere and traditional English fare with a twist”
Review of The Clifton - CLOSED

Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere and traditional English fare with a twist”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

A table for six we tried most of the dishes

The food was well cooked well priced and well prepared

Being a very secluded pub it is obviously inhabited by friendly locals , there is no passing traffic

Visited July 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere but terrible food”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I love the exterior of this pub. It is one of the best places to sit outside and enjoy a drink. It's tucked away in a cozy neighborhood which gives it a friendly feeling.

The drink selection is good. They have some decent beers on daught.

Unfortunately, the food was terrible. It was the worst meal I have had since moving to London a year ago. I ordered the fish and chips, classic English fare. I was under the impression that London pubs specialised in this dish. Outwardly, the fish look phenomenal. I haven't seen a better looking filet of fish so delicately fried. The flavour of the fish was horrid though. The fish was definitely frozen prior to preparation. A huge disappointment considering we are on a island which means we are surrounded by water where fish live. My guess is that they placed this frozen filet directly into the fryer. It did not resemble the flavour of any fish I have ever had before. I had only two bites before giving up. It was the most disappointing meal. Since then, I am very reluctant to eat a pubs unless I have read good reviews. Go, have a drink, but don't order food.

• Visited August 2013
“A very pretty pub with ok food!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

If I'm honest, I was a little disappointed if only because my expectations were probably too high.

We went for Sunday lunch and the food was fine but the selection was a little limited. One of my pet hates is when you go somewhere with a limited menu; that you still find some things are not available.

Maybe it is better in the evening? The menu selection is certainly more appealing.

I would not rush back; but only because I think there are better pub restaurants in the area.

Our waitress was great and warranted a special mention.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Proper beer and thick gravy”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Great beer, lovely quiet atmosphere and proper pub grub. I've been to this pub a few times while working in London. It never has disappointed. Ticks my first box, proper beer. Friendly staff. I've only eaten here once and it was magnficent sunday roast with real homemade gravy. It's a hidden gem.

“Super little pub”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I came to London for our daughters engagement. They had booked a table at the Clifton. What a super place, great food and lovely waitress. I can thoroughly recommend the whole black bream, it was delicious.