“Simply great”

Ranked #2,465 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$15 - US$26
Cuisines: Asian, Nepalese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“Simply great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have both visited this restaurant and ordered takeaway many times. The menu has a good range of dishes, it caters to those who like very hot dishes to those who like something more mild. The dishes are quite unfamiliar at first but never disappoint. The quality of the food is very high and the staff professional and friendly.

A lovely restaurant and a nice change from Indian curries.

• Visited October 2013

London
“favourite restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have been going to this restaurant since it first opened, and now live over 20 miles away but still go back when I can. The Chicken Kukra is my favourite and I must have had it over 100 times (we used to eat there once a week). I can honestly say I have had a bad meal there twice in the whole time I have been. I celebrated my 30th there, have taken my 2 week old daughter in and have had countless celebratory meals. The service is always first class and it is impeccably clean. Nothing is too much effort and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. I really can't rate this highly enough.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank LyndsayWilliams
London/Armagh
“A bit hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Eaten here a fair few times now - mainly it's been good, but a few notable times, it's been not so good.

Firstly, as other reviewers have said, it makes a great change from usual stodgy 'Indian' restaurants; the spicy pork curries (when cooked well) are absolutely excellent.

A couple of times, I've left thinking 'this is a great restaurant, food is great, staff are nice.' But a couple of times, namely the last time, I have wondered how a restaurant could go from being so good to being so bad in a few weeks; e.g sitting around waiting for 10-15 minutes then having to actually ask for a menu is pretty poor, though it was a Saturday night - they weren't packed though...

Some broken bits of their prawn crackers were shoved in the middle of the table and by the time our dinner showed up, the curry sauces were watery, the meat extremely dry and the rice and bread average - no apology for the poor service or decidedly rubbish food from the staff, who are usually pretty good in my experience.

Such a shame, as the other times I've been, it's been great. Perhaps just an off night, but sadly one that would make me think about going back again.

• Visited April 2013
“Lovely, just lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Ate here on Sat eve with my Mum & 2 children aged 7& 8. Everything about our evening was lovely, the staff were very attentive and made a real fuss of the children despite it generally being a grown up restaurant, the food was excellent and reasonably priced. I have already recommended it to my sister who lives in Clapham and I will definitely return when we are next in the area

• Visited August 2013
“Might convert you from going to have an "Indian" of a Friday night to Nepalese!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Have been to Gurkas Diner two or three times and food has always been excellent. The food Is different being Nepalese rather than your usual "Indian" but personally find it preferable. The restaurant has a nice ambience and gets pretty busy at the weekends. During the week usually far less punters but don't let this put you off eating here thinking it's unpopular etc.
Service is faultless. Nice touch of complimentary spicy crackers whilst you mull over the menu which has a good selection of dishes. Can recommend the tereko squid, pockhareli lamb and kharsar chicken ( latter quite rich and likely not Weight Watchers friendly!). Prices at around the £8 mark for mains plus accompaniments - rice, bread etc don't make this cheap but portions are generous.
One last point is that I think the "Diner" of the restaurants name was dropped a while ago, maybe to make it more appealing to Balham's foodies!

• Visited July 2013