“Delightful friendly staff”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Taverna Italiana Restaurant
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A friendly, romantic Italian restaurant in the lovely Knaphill , the Lorenzo is a favourite with discerning locals. Simply decorated with an unfussy interior made up of white painted walls, touches of exposed red brick and contemporary, comfortable dark wood furniture, Lorenzo has an authentic style that makes it feel as if it really could be in Bologna, Brindisi, Napoli or Palermo, an impression supported by the warm service from friendly, well informed and smartly turned out staff often of Italian descent. The Lorenzo menu is entirely populated by extremely authentic dishes from throughout Italy with seafood a particular specialty, delectable desserts done to perfection and excellent wines from top notch vineyards. Concise and carefully put together, the menu reflects the best of Italy, concentrating on creating flavours reminiscent of those very meals experienced during Adriatic holidays, Tuscan trips and city breaks in the country famed for its cuisine.
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We went with friends on a saturday evening. The food was excellent. The zabaglione was made before oue eyes on the table, it was warm delicious- the best I have tasted and I love this pudding.
The staff were friendly and attentive. Gave us a few soupcons to nibble whilst we were ordering and free limonecello at the end.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

I would suggest anyone with a Groupon voucher looks elsewhere - maybe McDonalds? I took some Spanish friends last week and the food was excellent and it was good value for money. In the end the service too was very good but you have to work on the owner to get anything back in return. It shouldn't be that way but that's the way he seems to be. I can certainly see him not wanting to give Groupon folk the time of day never mind a large glass of house red in a set deal.
Note to the owner: stop participating in Groupon deals if you don't want to serve them.

1  Thank John S
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Like other reviewers we went here for Sunday lunch with a Groupon voucher entitling us to 2 courses each and a glass of wine. The waiter didn't seem particularly friendly when we arrived, anyway he took our order and produced 2 very small glasses of white wine (the wine was supposed to be to the value of £6.90 - which it clearly wasn't) - we also ordered a large bottle of sparkling water as an extra. Our starters took about half an hour to arrive in which time we had finished our wine. We ordered 2 more large glasses of wine as we didn't want to seem cheap having bought a voucher with us, as we sensed that the waiter wasn't particularly happy about us being there with a voucher. Our main course of seafood linguine arrived and it was quite tough and rubbery, whilst we were eating the chef appeared to be chatting and talking to all the other tables in the restaurant - except us - he kept giving us dirty looks - I'm guessing because of the Groupon voucher, which made us feel pretty rubbish. When it came to paying the bill we were charged £6.90 for each large glass of wine we ordered and were a bit annoyed as if that was supposed to be a £6.90 glass of wine - why weren't we given that with our Groupon glass of wine? I just can't understand why this restaurant opted to let people use Groupon vouchers at their restaurant if they are going to treat them badly - it is their decision to let people use them after all - surely the whole idea of them is to give people a taster of their restaurant at a discounted price in the hope that they will be returning fully priced customers. By treating their groupon customers so badly, this clearly isn't going to happen and the bad reviews will keep stacking up.

2  Thank Gemma B
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Having booked for a celebration with my family & friends at the Taverna Italiana my hope were high having read reviews.
I had managed to purchase groupon vouchers & had informed the manager when booking .who confirmed all was in order.We were,due to terrible traffic,running late so I called ahead to apologise & confirm our late start only to be met with indifference.
Half an hour late for our Saturday afternoon gathering,sitting in a half full restaurant I was met by the rudest manager who made the party & myself feel like 2nd rate diners.
"Groupon users have to be on time" I was informed.
We normally spend between £120 & £ 150 on wine,the childrens meals & extras so I again apologised & tried to reassure the manager that we would more than make up for the slight delay..again met with a shrug & total coldness.
Totally embarassed & shocked at his "it is not my fault you were late".."Groupon users must be on time",we had to re-evaluate if it was still worth staying there or if we should take a hit on the vouchers & move on to a more suitable Restaurant where custmer service ,warmth & a welcoming smile would be forthcoming.So we did & may I say had a superb afternoon.
The Taverna Italiana certainly was not Friendly,Warm or inviting.Poor show.

2  Thank Dougless R
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Sharing a hearty meal with family & friends is one of the best ways to spend a Saturday afternoon,especially when it is in a welcoming Italian Restaurant where the owners & staff encourage you to have a fabulous time & make you feel part of the family.
This Restaurant is neither welcoming ,friendly or warm!
I purchased 2x Groupon deals for the Taverna Italia to enjoy an afternoon with my Family & friends only to be met with a cold & unwelcoming manner from the manager,who told us that diners using Groupon must be on time(we were 25 minutes late due to traffic delays for which we rang to update & apologised before we arrived & when we arrived...again met with no warmth or charm from the manager)
I suggested that we would more than make up for the delay to the Restaurant through the partys healthy appetite for their wine list but the manager seemed to have already made his mind up with the Groupon deal customer obviously not warranting the same service as non voucher diners.I value service & warmth very highly & sometimes more so than the food ...This Restaurant does not.
We decided to lose out the £50.00 paid for the vouchers & took our family custom to a Restaurant who wanted us to be there & didn't look upon us as an inconvenience.We had a fabulous afternoon with great food but more importantly service with a smile that makes me want to go back for more.
I will now never get to sample the Taverna Italia that may well be good because for me service is king.

1  Thank Dougless R