“Not what I expected...”

Le Petit Boulanger
Ranked #197 of 277 Bakeries in London
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Le Petit Boulanger is situated in the affluent Abbeville Village in Clapham, selling freshly made produce, such as artisan breads, viennoiserie and beautifully decorated french pastries.
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Not what I expected...”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I recently moved to the neighbourhood and was instantly charmed by the street atmosphere as well as the looks of this bakery. Very busy on a Sunday morning, with prams, toddlers, etc, so I picked up a quiche lorraine to go- which looked a bit strange with a slice of tomato on top. The young man at the counter was very polite and probably French, too. What a huge disappointment however, as this was the WORST quiche I have ever tasted. Chunks of bacon- of uncooked fat actually- with equally uncooked onion in the most greasiest quiche you 've seen!
A pity, although I 'll soon give it another try, because of the good reviews and the lack of many similar places around- which I think is the reason it 's so popular...

Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“You will only find croissants as good in France”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This place is so cute and a real gem.
I often like to go in the morning on a day off early as that is when the croissants are fresh out of the oven and are warm and orgasmic to eat. I go for the almond, chocolate almond or just plain croissants. I have never eaten something so addictive.
There is the option to sit in, but as it is small inside the place does get filled with the yummy mummy brigade plus their toddlers of Abbeville Village and so I rarely sit in. If I have guests from overseas then at least once will bring them here for breakfast.
The coffee I have to mention is incredible!
I like to get bread here too and also the pastries are very nice if you are entertaining and want to impress with something that looks like it has been shipped in especially from Paris.
In the summer or on a nice winters day there is the option to sit outside which is great. But watch out for the buggaboos and mclaren prams.

• Visited February 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
“Should be better but”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

This is local to us and is somewhere that we thought we would go to often. However, the few times we've been there, it's always been something of a disappointment. The bread is fine, but more expensive than elsewhere. The pastries are nice, but can sometimes seem hit or miss.

We stopped there for coffee and cake recently. I had a croissant with ham, cheese and tomato, which I asked to be heated up. My husband wanted one of the cookies, but was rather put off by them being all burnt. The assistant even acknowledged that they were all burnt, but didn't try to choose the least burnt one when we decided to risk it anyway. My croissant took ages to heat up. I suspect that this was because the assistant seemed more engrossed in chatting to another customer, rather than finish serving us, I heard the 'ping' of the microwave and asked for the croissant, but was told it still wasn't ready. It took another few minutes before I got it, by which time we had finished our hot chocolate and coffee. It was also warm, rather than hot, which made me suspect that it had been sitting waiting for a short while.

I know this might all seem like a niggle, but you pay a lot for what you get and I expect the service to be better. Waiting so long for a crossant to heat up may be fine, but I thought the service was very poor and offhand. It was almost as if we were a distraction to the business of chatting to friends and baking. I doubt we'll go again which is a pity, given that it is so close.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great bread and”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Le Petit Boulannger is a great place to go for that mid morning snack - coffee and croissant or perhaps some sandwich in one of their bagettes. The queues outside are testiment to its success

Visited October 2012
2 Thank KimH309
London UK
“Cute gem in the heart of Clapham South”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The best coffee in London. I have visited a few times for a pastry, coffee, sandwich and very friendly staff. A real find!

1 Thank jamesclarke88