“Great budget hotel”

Ranked #472 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Great budget hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Very clean and comfortable beds. Had a great night sleep. I always stay in this hotel as it is conveniently located for my needs. Parking is a hit and miss, but I always get a space eventually. About 20 spaces in all available. All free! Breakfast is OK, has all you need.
Only downside is the smokers who smoke at the entrance. They should be banned.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Oh boy, where do I start?!!! I had the displeasure of staying at this hotel in early May and it was poor from start to end. I was greeted by a staff member who clearly did not want to be there. He was scruffy, mumbled his words and even failed to make eye contact with me. I wasn't expecting much from an employee of a budget hotel chain, but a mere smile would have gone a long way.

So after my encounter with the uncheerful receptionist, I made my way towards my room. I noticed that the corridors were rather shabby and needed hoovering. I also rubbed shoulders with another staff member who also failed to acknowledge me - great!!!!

Upon entering my room, I noticed a strange odour. I can only describe it as an odour you would get from a sock which had been worn for over a week whilst hiking Ben Nevis on a hot summer's day - not nice!!! Furthermore, I found this room to be quite unclean. The bed linen was stained, there were skid marks on the toilet, the carpet needed hoovering. Had I been staying for more than one night, then I would have demanded that I have a different room, but on this occasion I decided against it as I would have had to face the unwelcoming and disinterested staff.

What really got my goat is that whilst checking out, I was asked about my stay. I was brutally honest. The nice receptionist was quite sympathetic and told me that she would inform her manager. She stated that I would be contacted by her manager later that day. Well guess what? It's been over two weeks and still no contact by the manager despite a phone call by myself last week. Clearly, the establishment is headed by a manager who can't be bothered to contact its customers and this poor behaviour is reflected in its staff.

Well done Travelodge!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank John K
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge London Whetstone, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
We are sorry to learn of your poor experience you had John K. Our staff are expected to provide a great service to all of our guests so it is regrettable to learn you found they were unapproachable. We also expect our housekeeping team to follow a specific cleaning routine when preparing a room so we are sorry that your room was not clean and fresh up to great standards we would expect in all Travelodge hotels. We are also concerned to learn that the hotel manager has not contacted you further so in order to offer a resolution please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel offers great value for money, easy to get to, parking is a bit of a struggle if you are late in.

Rooms are basic, clean and quiet.

Use it a good London jumping off point as the Tube is close by, Buses are regular and access to the Motorways gives me the links I need.

Mobile data network coverage is good as well so can work in comfort and quiet of room rather than sitting in the bar or reception as I have to in other locations

Room Tip: The rooms are basic but good for the business traveller
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Markpt2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Gave away my brother's pre booked family room, in front of him, to another customer who didn't have a reference number on him. Staff member very rude and unhelpful, he had to take 2 doubles and sleep with his 10 yr old son or go to another hotel, which we couldn't as we had all come down in 1 car. They offered him a free breakfast which we declined as we weren't planning on staying for breakfast anyway due to a long journey home. Apparently its Travelodge's policy to overbook rooms (which we couldn't find in the terms and conditions) and they said they also rang everybody who had a family room booked saying there was a shortage of them due to damage. I never got a call and neither did my brother. It's the last thing you want to deal with at 11pm at night and 220 miles from home!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

4 Thank Leanne M
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

A truly wonderful stay, always. We've been back again and again and have never been let down. Staff are very pleasant and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. They have good local knowledge and can always help you out with tube times etc. You cannot fault their cleanliness and facilities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Judith P
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The travelodge was ideally situated for where I needed to be. It was easy to find. There was free parking. The hotel was clean and friendly and the room was more than comfortable with a very nice shower in the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Susan A
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed as a cheap alternative to staying in city centre for one night. Tube is in walking distance. Waitrose and M&S Simply Food nearby; selection of local restaurants on high road. Staff friendly and helpful. Rooms are standard new look Travelodge, which is fine for budget format and much improved over the older Travelodges. Rooms are quiet. Only niggle, as always with Travelodge, I think charging for WIFI is mean and that this should be free - as it is in Holiday Inn Express and Days Inn which are of a similar standard to Travelodge. All in all good value for money if on a good rate (keep an eye on your advance flexible booking, as price does vary day by day and it may be advantageous to rebook if rate goes down); also paying by debit card is cheaper and avoids card fee.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
West Lodge Park Hotel
#604 of 1,088 in London
Royal Chace Hotel
Royal Chace Hotel
#2 of 5 in Enfield

Been to Travelodge London Whetstone? Share your experiences!