Avo Hotel
US$189
galahotels.com
US$203
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdalston junctionthis family run hotelfiltered waterhackney empireboutique hotelnice clean roomssmall hotelopened the windowwhat it says on the tinpowerful showershort staysofa bedsmall roomwi fione night stayhelstonoverground
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

The service here was excellent, all our needs were accommodated for and staff were happy to help carry our bags, offer us drinks and let us in late at night.
The security here is excellent, no one can access the hotel without being let in from the inside, there is another locked door to the hotel and then another to enter the rooms.
Room was immaculatey clean, also modern and full of everything we needed; TV, things to make brews, even a fan!
Location via tube was literally 4/5 mins walk from Dalston Junction with a convenience shop near by.
The only thing I would say could be improved would be the curtains, blackout curtains could be added to the room we stayed in as the curtains let through a lot of light but this wouldn't stop us staying there again.
Everything was perfect for our stay,

• Stayed: May 2014
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Caitlin,
Thanks for taking the time to write us such a kind and detailed review. We really hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is a small hotel with a personal touch from Nar. Enjoyed the stay very much and there is a direct bus 38 from the hotel to Covent Garden area. Very useful when there is a tube strike! I like the heated rack in the bathroom whereby you can dry your wet towels quickly. Thanks Avo!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Terence,
I'm so glad my dad gave you a warm welcome! And the heated towel racks are a favourite of mine too! Thanks for your review,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Went up to go to the amazing Camberlache Festival around the corner and stayed for one night. Everything you could need, staff great and helpful, only reason not a five star review, breakfast not quite as billed in the guide.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thanks for your feedback and review. Hope you enjoyed the festival!
Come visit us again :)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was a business trip and we have to book standard budget chain hotels. that's okay because they're usually a good price and the standard offer of those chains means you usually get what you expect no more no less. They are purely functional. For this trip however the budget chains were proving quite expensive. A quick search of various review sites brought up Avo which looked interesting, quirky and no more expensive than the usual price I'd pay for one of the budget chains
The hotel itself was easy to find and pretty near Dalston Junction Overground station which was easy to get to from my arrival point at Kings Cross, even with a tube strike on. The welcome was lovely and friendly. I was already prepared for the room to be small which it was (there are bigger rooms) but it was perfectly adequate for my needs. The bed was comfy and clean and with lots of pillows. There was a radiator that kept the room toasty and an air con unit for when it got warmer. The decor and quality of finish was great. Including some interesting teas (now need to go find 'Butter mint' Tea for myself. Despite being on the roadside and a building site next door I didn't really hear anything either. The only tip I'd give the owners is thicker curtains as the room got bright early. Not a problem for me as I had to be up early but might be an issue for others.
There's only a shower but that was all I wanted and needed. Elemis products were provided as well as dressing gowns which were nice added touches for the price. There's a TV, iphone/ipod dock clock radio and great wifi. If you need a desk to work then you might need to go for one of the bigger rooms but that wasn't an issue for me.
The surrounding area has a vast array of amazing places to eat and drink as well as a raft of shops from Co-op/Tesco to local ethnic food shops. Breakfast was included in the price but unfortunately I was running late and had to miss out but it looked good at least and I was able to grab something on my way to the train.
All in all a great find offering boutique hotel experience at budget chain pricing. I'd use Avo again next time i'm in London. Oh and Dalston wasn't as horribly hip as I'd been warned!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Honeyinmyveins

Hello,
Thanks for your review and staying with us. I'm so glad you liked the decor and didn't find Dalston as horribly hip as you'd been warned ;)
Do come back!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was looking for a nice place to stay near town and this fitted the bill. Better value than the Hoxton Hotel down the road! The owner greeted us and gave us a residents' parking permit for the grand sum of £4 (f£2 per two hours up until 6.30pm then free, and free on Sundays). This was a huge bonus! We parked in the next road. Our room was at the back (so nice and quiet). Very small but spotless and a lovely comfortable bed with nice linen. I slept like a log! Tea/coffee etc are available in the rooms. The shower/loo is pretty tight but it has all you need. Breakfast was fairly basic - toast, juice and cereal but they owners are very accommodating and provided dairy-free milk for me. Dalston Junction is a couple of minutes walk away providing easy access into the West End or down to the O2 Arena via London Overground. I was very impressed with the transport links. Dalston Eastern Curve Garden is just down the road and a nice place to stop for a cuppa. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a room at the rear and it was very quite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JustBristol

Hello!
We're glad you think we're better value than the Hoxton :) And I'm also pleased you found the Dalston Eastern Curve Garden just down the road. Thanks for staying with us!