“Affordable, comfortable and great staff.”
Review of National Hotel

National Hotel
Ranked #909 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We booked two rooms for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day as we were going to the darts final at the ally pally. Booked a twin ensuite and double ensuite. Hotel is nice from outside, check in was easy. Nice sitting area wih large tv at reception. No lift but only a few floors, rooms were 60 per night for two people with full English included. Rooms not what you would call luxury but more than adequate. Double bed. Bedside cabinets. Lamp, desk. Mirror chair etc, can't complain at all. Staff there 24 hours and all very helpful and chatty. Breakfast was 2 bacon, sausage, egg, toast, cereal, jams and pot of tea or coffee each, served quickly and just as good as I've ever had. So all in all I have rated five out five for all areas of the stay. Don't book if you are expecting luxury. Book if you want comfortable clean and affordable with friendly staff!!! Oh and the hotel was full so shows the hotel works well then too not just when quiet.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Lesley1802

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We had booked the hotel for one night as we were watching the darts at the alley pally,on entering the reception i instantly knew we would not fancy eating breakfast there the next morning .from the outside it looked presentable but once inside omg !! ,we had room 15 and after ten minutes of walking through the dingy ,small musty smelling corridoors had to go back to reception to ask, the corridoors smelt like people had been smoking in there rooms and once at our room there was evidense the door had been broken open before, the room was small ,dark and again it smelt musty and looked like it had never seen daylight so dont be fooled by there website photo ,the sheets did look clean but the curtains and net curtains clearly had never been and the window would not shut properly,we stood in the room gutted and after going down the pub and having a beer to recover checked out two hors later and got the train home after darts .totaly spoilt our weekend and £80 quid down the drain ,got home and read the reviews and wished we had before we booked. Worzel from essex.

Room Tip: Pictures on the website are misleading.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

The saying goes you get what you pay for!! Well at £60 per night you cant expect too much and thats exactly what we got. No hairdryer, No bar, No kettle, No shampoo just soap from the 70's, No heating in the afternoon even in cold wet conditions, Curtains that were torn but at least it was clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

My son and i had tickets to see Jakc White at the Alexandra Palace,so chose this hotel.IWe paid £30 each for a twin room which was very good for us as we were on a tight budget.We walked fron Highgate tube station which is one mile from the hotel.On arrival the man on reception was polite enough and sorted our booking out without any problems.
The hotel room was basic but nice and clean,On close inspection it's obvious it needs and upgrade but i wasn't worried about that..One single bed and one double bed.The beds were very comfortable.The sheets and bedding were fresh. The room had one wardrobe without doors two bedside cabinets and one desk.I assumed the desk would be where the tes/coffee making facilities would be as stated on the wbsite.Unfortunatley there wasn't any tes/coffee making facilities to be found.The bathroom was small,with a tiny window.The shower was the sort that is attached to the taps.The problem with this was there was nothing to alternate between running the bath and having the shower!.As we were only staying for the one night,none of the bad points affected me so i didn't feel the need to report them.
Breakfast was served between 7 & 9.For the price we paid i was expecting a bowl of cereal and some juice.I was pleasantly supise to be offered a full english breakfast.This consisted of one sausage,one bacon,one egg and beans.Also two pieces of toast and a pot of tea.The kitchen staff were very polite,
So all in all i was satisfied with my experience.I'd deffinatley stay there again if it was for one or two nights.For a longer stay i'd chosse somewhere else.

p.s Alexandra palace is a good 20-30 minute walk from the hotel
pps there was no hairdryer in the room as stated on thier website

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I regularly attend various exhibitions up and down the country so I thought I try this hotel( I have stayed at others close by but rooms were not available)..

As it was not far from Alexandra Palace where I exhibit it seemed well suited for my needs. I was able to find a room at a very reasonable price, which including free car park and breakfast with wi-fi .

The rooms were nice and clean, the beds and the pillows were comfortable. The staff on the whole were fine and the walk to the palace was not so bad. It was a

From my experience as a whole I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I arrived at the hotel after a long train journey, tube ride and then walk there, the outside looked nice and professional but it seems they've concentrated most on this aspect than the rooms themselves as the inside was another story.

I had booked a twin room with an en suite as I don't like sharing a bathroom with people I don't know, yes this is picky on my behalf but I was willing to pay more in order to have this luxury yet when I arrived the man on reception said they didn't have the room I booked available for me. at first he couldn't find my reservation, then decided to tell me that they had had a problem with their system which meant they didn't have record of me booking and then changed his mind again and said that the reason they didn't have my room was because people had decided they wanted to stay on longer so they had my room. Now call me crazy but I would assume that even if someone wanted to extend their stay you would check what rooms were available and what were booked and kick them out into a different room if said one was due to be in use. His response? 'Shes not happy is she' obviously not...

Instead I had to settle for a twin room with a shower but no toilet. And I must say the shower was strangely placed in the corner of the room with no privacy for the person using it. I settled for this with 10 pound knocked off per night - which took a lot of persuasion as I was definitely not going to pay full price for it.

The room was dated and got incredibly hot on a night and when I asked if the radiator could be turned off as it was making me feel ill on a night I was told to open the windows which I couldn't do because they were old and stiff, so I just had to suffer!

I could have coped with all of this if I was there for just a day but because I was there, on my own for a full week it made the whole experience incredibly and unnecessarily stressful.

The only positive I have from my stay are the chamber maids. There are two ladies who work there running breakfast and cleaning the rooms and they're absolutely lovely, my breakfast was served quickly and the room was always done when I got back from the exhibition on a night, they work extremely hard.

Moral of the story, you really do get what you pay for, for a long stay I now know I need to pay that little bit more if I want the basic of luxury.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 17 October 2012

just back from visiting daughter in london. she has moved flats and no longer has the room to let us stay with her. chose this as was near her but sorry we did. room was clean enough but did not have the tea/coffee facilities as stated or the hairdryer. the breakfast was hit or miss and the staff in the dining room were few and far bewtween and really under pressure and little english which did not help. i felt like i was in Fawlty Towers for the 3 days of our stay. would not recommend

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family