“Wouldn't stay here again or recommend to anyone!!!!!!!!”
Review of National Hotel

National Hotel
Ranked #916 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 February 2013

On arrival the main entrance looks OK if a bit tired. But our room was truly awful, the fan in the bathroom sounded as if the bearings were completely shot.The radiator was barely warm, 0 degrees outside, there is no double glazing providing no insulation at all, also does not contain the very loud road noise.

There are no bedside lights and the one desk light did not work, the entrance light is on a short push timer, we couldn't put on the bathroom light because of the screeching fan. There is no telephone in the room, no hair-dryer or any tea and coffee making facilities. I was presented with a full size kettle and two cups when I went to the reception and asked about a cup of coffee.

The bar did not open and I must admit we did not try breakfast a combination in not wanting to risk it judging by the cleanliness of our room and after getting very little sleep due to the fact that we could hear a radio playing throughout the whole night! We just wanted to leave.

The one positive, being the bed that was comfortable and clean, which could not be said for the rest of the room dust and fluff everywhere. The bathroom was limited two small towels no hand towels or bath mats, no toiletries or even a glass in the bathroom. (Although I would not trust drinking the water, there are a number of small sinks in the corridors labelled "drinking water").

I suspect that the hotel is primarily in use for DHSS as I really cannot see anybody ever recommending or returning to the hotel of their free will. I have stayed in hotels of all standards all over the world, this one ranks easily as amongst the worst I have had the misfortune to stay in.

Like another reviewer we had room 15, that is one of the more "expensive" rooms as it is on-suite. The whole hotel smelt of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for National Hotel

Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed here overnight in the recent snow with my son who was attending a drama audition at Mountview in Wood Green early the next day.
We arrived late afternoon and were pointed in the general direction of our room (no 39) by the lady at reception.

The hotel interior is a bit tired and the door to our room didn't scream 'high security', but the room itself was large and clean with a double & single bed, and a sizeable bathroom.
It was a cold day and whilst the large single glazed bay window did give a good view to the front of the hotel, it was draughty and the room was cold.
The radiator was stone cold and I feared we would be spending a freezing night. However, immediately it was switched on the ageing radiator sprang into life and was soon piping hot.

There was no kettle though - I asked at reception and was told apologetically that there were no more available.
This isn't much of an explanation, and clearly from many of the other reviews missing kettles are a recurring theme. I don't see how they can get away with advertising something that often they can't supply?

The beds were very comfy and I had an excellent nights sleep.
Breakfast was interesting - we arrived to six dirty or occupied tables and one eastern European lady in overalls and slippers talking on her mobile.
We found a cleanish bit of table and some cereal and juice - I was pleasantly surprised when she eventually finished her phone call that we were offered a full English breakfast, toast and tea, all of which was pretty good.
She explained her regular assistant was ill and she was coping on her own.

The thought of spending any more than a night here isn't an attractive one, but on balance and bearing in mind it is cheap, one night here is a reasonable option and I would use it again in a similar circumstances.

Room Tip: Room 39 was decent
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We booked two rooms for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day as we were going to the darts final at the ally pally. Booked a twin ensuite and double ensuite. Hotel is nice from outside, check in was easy. Nice sitting area wih large tv at reception. No lift but only a few floors, rooms were 60 per night for two people with full English included. Rooms not what you would call luxury but more than adequate. Double bed. Bedside cabinets. Lamp, desk. Mirror chair etc, can't complain at all. Staff there 24 hours and all very helpful and chatty. Breakfast was 2 bacon, sausage, egg, toast, cereal, jams and pot of tea or coffee each, served quickly and just as good as I've ever had. So all in all I have rated five out five for all areas of the stay. Don't book if you are expecting luxury. Book if you want comfortable clean and affordable with friendly staff!!! Oh and the hotel was full so shows the hotel works well then too not just when quiet.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Lesley1802
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We had booked the hotel for one night as we were watching the darts at the alley pally,on entering the reception i instantly knew we would not fancy eating breakfast there the next morning .from the outside it looked presentable but once inside omg !! ,we had room 15 and after ten minutes of walking through the dingy ,small musty smelling corridoors had to go back to reception to ask, the corridoors smelt like people had been smoking in there rooms and once at our room there was evidense the door had been broken open before, the room was small ,dark and again it smelt musty and looked like it had never seen daylight so dont be fooled by there website photo ,the sheets did look clean but the curtains and net curtains clearly had never been and the window would not shut properly,we stood in the room gutted and after going down the pub and having a beer to recover checked out two hors later and got the train home after darts .totaly spoilt our weekend and £80 quid down the drain ,got home and read the reviews and wished we had before we booked. Worzel from essex.

Room Tip: Pictures on the website are misleading.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2012

The saying goes you get what you pay for!! Well at £60 per night you cant expect too much and thats exactly what we got. No hairdryer, No bar, No kettle, No shampoo just soap from the 70's, No heating in the afternoon even in cold wet conditions, Curtains that were torn but at least it was clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

My son and i had tickets to see Jakc White at the Alexandra Palace,so chose this hotel.IWe paid £30 each for a twin room which was very good for us as we were on a tight budget.We walked fron Highgate tube station which is one mile from the hotel.On arrival the man on reception was polite enough and sorted our booking out without any problems.
The hotel room was basic but nice and clean,On close inspection it's obvious it needs and upgrade but i wasn't worried about that..One single bed and one double bed.The beds were very comfortable.The sheets and bedding were fresh. The room had one wardrobe without doors two bedside cabinets and one desk.I assumed the desk would be where the tes/coffee making facilities would be as stated on the wbsite.Unfortunatley there wasn't any tes/coffee making facilities to be found.The bathroom was small,with a tiny window.The shower was the sort that is attached to the taps.The problem with this was there was nothing to alternate between running the bath and having the shower!.As we were only staying for the one night,none of the bad points affected me so i didn't feel the need to report them.
Breakfast was served between 7 & 9.For the price we paid i was expecting a bowl of cereal and some juice.I was pleasantly supise to be offered a full english breakfast.This consisted of one sausage,one bacon,one egg and beans.Also two pieces of toast and a pot of tea.The kitchen staff were very polite,
So all in all i was satisfied with my experience.I'd deffinatley stay there again if it was for one or two nights.For a longer stay i'd chosse somewhere else.

p.s Alexandra palace is a good 20-30 minute walk from the hotel
pps there was no hairdryer in the room as stated on thier website

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I regularly attend various exhibitions up and down the country so I thought I try this hotel( I have stayed at others close by but rooms were not available)..

As it was not far from Alexandra Palace where I exhibit it seemed well suited for my needs. I was able to find a room at a very reasonable price, which including free car park and breakfast with wi-fi .

The rooms were nice and clean, the beds and the pillows were comfortable. The staff on the whole were fine and the walk to the palace was not so bad. It was a

From my experience as a whole I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012