“one night in north London” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
National Hotel
Ranked #928 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“one night in north London”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotel was very basic, but clean , quiet and in a very good location , especially for our needs on this occasion. I think that two nights here would be enough though. Also be warned that whatever you order for breakfast, you will get plain omlette and bacon x2 , really!!

Room Tip: Room at the back is best
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

This place was a bit of a dive.

First problem was when I booked online on their website, the check out time was stated to be 12pm - but when we arrived we were told we had to get out by 10.30. On the plus side after showing my booking reservation to the man on reception, he said it was okay - but we had to tell them in the morning. Bit miffed as to why he couldn't take note of it now - the point of a late check out was because I would be getting in late after a concert and didnt WANT to have to get up to let them know my check out was 12.

We were told breakfast was at 9am and pointed towards a door, but weren't told what it actually was, or if there was a cost or not - so we didn't even bother.

Anyway, onto the room - the hallways look old and unclean and smelled a bit, and the room wasn't much better. The temperature outside was almost 20 degrees, yet the heating was on full blast so the room was a bit like a sauna. The windows were unreachable, so my partner had to give me a leg up so that I could open the window and enable us to breathe!!!

The bedding looked clean, but something that annoyed me was the website stated that tea and coffee making facilities were in each room - they weren't - we actually had to ask at reception for these - along with the hairdryer that was promised.

The hotel website also boasts free wifi - but unfortunately it was out of range for our room. Not something that bothered us toom much, but had we picked the hotel and were needing to work or whatever, this would have been a problem.

We were also woken up really early (before 8am) by the hotel workers shouting to each other really loudly - I think our room may have been over the kitchen or something.

So all in all - bit of a rubbish stay! Wouldn't like to go back - thankfully we spent as little time as possible in the hotel itself as we were there for a concert at Alexandra Palace - the one thing the hotel does have going for it is that its about a 10 minute walk from the venue!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hayley B

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stayed over the Easter bank holiday weekend. Upon arrival there was confusion as to my booking, so the manager decided to upgrade me to a better room.

The beds were clean and the room was facing the back car park, so away from the roadside noise.

We were only here to sleep as we spent most of the day out with family who live close by. The rooms had kettles, but we had to request for the hair dryer. Breakfast was a choice if cereal or full English.

We stayed for the whole bank holiday weekend, and I can't really complain . Staff were helpful and polite...

I will say that the car park may be get full as its on a first come basis, but next time we return we won't be needing it as he hotel is in a very buzzy fun area, with tube, bars, restaurants, shops and a cinema all walking distance...

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Collybear77
Swanage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

This is not a Hotel...this is B&B...old furniture,old baths and horrible smell...never ever stay again on this place.only main hall is nice and nice smell...moreover you could't choose breakfast by yourself...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Crawley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

On arrival the main entrance looks OK if a bit tired. But our room was truly awful, the fan in the bathroom sounded as if the bearings were completely shot.The radiator was barely warm, 0 degrees outside, there is no double glazing providing no insulation at all, also does not contain the very loud road noise.

There are no bedside lights and the one desk light did not work, the entrance light is on a short push timer, we couldn't put on the bathroom light because of the screeching fan. There is no telephone in the room, no hair-dryer or any tea and coffee making facilities. I was presented with a full size kettle and two cups when I went to the reception and asked about a cup of coffee.

The bar did not open and I must admit we did not try breakfast a combination in not wanting to risk it judging by the cleanliness of our room and after getting very little sleep due to the fact that we could hear a radio playing throughout the whole night! We just wanted to leave.

The one positive, being the bed that was comfortable and clean, which could not be said for the rest of the room dust and fluff everywhere. The bathroom was limited two small towels no hand towels or bath mats, no toiletries or even a glass in the bathroom. (Although I would not trust drinking the water, there are a number of small sinks in the corridors labelled "drinking water").

I suspect that the hotel is primarily in use for DHSS as I really cannot see anybody ever recommending or returning to the hotel of their free will. I have stayed in hotels of all standards all over the world, this one ranks easily as amongst the worst I have had the misfortune to stay in.

Like another reviewer we had room 15, that is one of the more "expensive" rooms as it is on-suite. The whole hotel smelt of cigarette smoke.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, S Glos
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed here overnight in the recent snow with my son who was attending a drama audition at Mountview in Wood Green early the next day.
We arrived late afternoon and were pointed in the general direction of our room (no 39) by the lady at reception.

The hotel interior is a bit tired and the door to our room didn't scream 'high security', but the room itself was large and clean with a double & single bed, and a sizeable bathroom.
It was a cold day and whilst the large single glazed bay window did give a good view to the front of the hotel, it was draughty and the room was cold.
The radiator was stone cold and I feared we would be spending a freezing night. However, immediately it was switched on the ageing radiator sprang into life and was soon piping hot.

There was no kettle though - I asked at reception and was told apologetically that there were no more available.
This isn't much of an explanation, and clearly from many of the other reviews missing kettles are a recurring theme. I don't see how they can get away with advertising something that often they can't supply?

The beds were very comfy and I had an excellent nights sleep.
Breakfast was interesting - we arrived to six dirty or occupied tables and one eastern European lady in overalls and slippers talking on her mobile.
We found a cleanish bit of table and some cereal and juice - I was pleasantly surprised when she eventually finished her phone call that we were offered a full English breakfast, toast and tea, all of which was pretty good.
She explained her regular assistant was ill and she was coping on her own.

The thought of spending any more than a night here isn't an attractive one, but on balance and bearing in mind it is cheap, one night here is a reasonable option and I would use it again in a similar circumstances.

Room Tip: Room 39 was decent
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We booked two rooms for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day as we were going to the darts final at the ally pally. Booked a twin ensuite and double ensuite. Hotel is nice from outside, check in was easy. Nice sitting area wih large tv at reception. No lift but only a few floors, rooms were 60 per night for two people with full English included. Rooms not what you would call luxury but more than adequate. Double bed. Bedside cabinets. Lamp, desk. Mirror chair etc, can't complain at all. Staff there 24 hours and all very helpful and chatty. Breakfast was 2 bacon, sausage, egg, toast, cereal, jams and pot of tea or coffee each, served quickly and just as good as I've ever had. So all in all I have rated five out five for all areas of the stay. Don't book if you are expecting luxury. Book if you want comfortable clean and affordable with friendly staff!!! Oh and the hotel was full so shows the hotel works well then too not just when quiet.

• Stayed January 2013