“Swing a cat”
Review of National Hotel

National Hotel
Ranked #911 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights so I could be close to my son who lives in Muswell Hil.
The room I booked was a single with shower. I didn't think that the shower and sink were in the room with no separation from the bed..
The toilet was communal and by the time I got there in the morning there was no toilet paper.
The public rooms were in good order but the rest of the place was considerably in need of a major facelift.
Dirty carpets, rust on radiators, no room tidying between days, I came back on Saturday to find nothing had been changed.
The room was a box, I could reach from side to side with my arms.
Overall I would not suggest that anyone stay here.
Absolute trash!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel ticked all the boxes for myself and a chum attending a gig at Ally Pally. Cheap, clean and local to the venue. Our room was clean and comfortable enough and as was rear facing we found it very quiet. Very pleased we took the ensuite option as the shared facilities looked quite grim. Cooked breakfast was a surprise that we weren't expecting and although a bit on the 'value' side, it was enough to get us started for the day. Very convenient for what we needed it for, we were expecting a lot worse for the price!

Room Tip: Go for a rear facing ensuite room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank meagle
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My partner and I were taking part in the British Heart Foundation's London to Milton Keynes bike ride the following day, so we'd booked this hotel to get a good night's sleep, close to the start of the ride in preparation.

The hotel wasn't necessarily the cheapest around, but was about as close as we could get for a reasonable cost.

When booking, I explained to the chap on the phone that we needed somewhere secure to store our bikes overnight as we were taking part in the ride the following morning. He said that this was not a problem. However, I think he's version and my version of secure are very different. We had to chain the bikes to a drainpipe at the back (unsecured) of the hotel by the car park.

First impressions of the hotel were good - the reception was bright, modern and very clean (if you ignored the pungent aroma of body odour emanating from the small hatch where the receptionist "greeted" us).

However, when we made our way up to our room things changed somewhat. The building is relatively clean, but smells fusty and unloved. The room was the same. Sparse, but reasonable clean. The heating being on full pelt didn't help things, and with no way of adjusting the temperature the room was hot and oppressive. The windows had presumably been left open because of this. The trouble with this, is that noise from the busy streets then becomes an issue.

We didn't experience breakfast as we had to set off before breakfast was served at 8am, which we didn't consider an issue when checking in, but on waking and getting ready we discovered that there was only one cup in the room, and only one ancient tea bag. Not brilliant.

If we do the ride again next year we'll certainly do a bit more research into local hotels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HayWayne
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The National Hotel was reasonably clean, needed attention to detail- eg bedside light not accessible to plug. Kettle could only be used if put on the floor near the one plug. Breakfast was exactly the same each morning but OK. a little rushed as the cooked breakfast was put on the table before you had time to finish your cereals. Glad we booked ensuite as the shared facilities didn't look as up to date.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Have stayed here a couple of times now as its a good budget hotel within easy access to the centre of London. They have a mixture of rooms and some with shared bathrooms although iv always opted for a ensuite which is cheap for London and clean. There is a 24hr reception so no problem rushing back. Its close to alexandra palace which is about a 10 minute walk.
If you want 5 star book a 5 star hotel, but if you want budget i would recommend the national hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank dale69derbyshire
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The price of our room was £65, so well below average for outer London, so we did not expect a lot, and so were not too disappointed. However, if you want your room to be nicer than your own bedroom, we would recommend booking elsewhere. The reception flatters to deceive, and the staff are pleasant and efficient. The decorative finish is tatty - poor quality furniture, mattress, and stained walls and ceiling. Curtains hanging off the rail, torn hems, the list was endless. Why tea bags and milk were in a plastic bag from reception on check in we could not explain. The initial excitement at having a room with a bath was soon dashed by the discovery that the plumbing had been fixed so that only the shower head operated - it would have taken hours to fill the bath!!
Breakfast in the clean and well presented dining room was basic with the microscopic piece of bacon not big enough to be able to discern its quality!
A bonus is the free parking, so long as your car is small enough to go through the narrow and low entrance tunnel! No extra charge is made which is appreciated.
Next time we shall try somewhere else...........but probably The National provides affordable value for money, for those on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid traffic noise from Queens Avenue
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed here with my parents. In my room on the carpet there were crumbs, mass of long hair and flakes of skin from previous residents. There were hairs in the bed in and in the bathroom (not mine!) . The toilet seat was broken and the cracked window in the bathroom taped up with masking tape. There was a thick layer (4mm) of dust on top of the furniture.

My parents room was in a similar state. The furniture was worn out and looked like it was from a house clearance or junk yard. The room was also filthy

All other hotels in the area were booked, else I would not have stayed here.

When I confronted the staff they were indifferent and told me that they only worked there part time and would inform the manager. We didn't stop for breakfast - I hate to think what state the kitchen was in based on my experience of the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012