“Absolutely fantastic!”

Ranked #80 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was sceptical when I booked because I think compared to other 5 star hotels in London the Montcalm Brewery seems a little cheap, but I have to say it's one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in - which makes it incredible value for money!
Staff are absolutely fantastic, couldn't do anymore for you, and the hotel itself is just lovely. It was my boyfriends birthday and they even sent us a complimentary bottle of wine to the room which was a lovely touch.
I wish I could of stayed longer!

• Stayed May 2014
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for this wonderful review.
I am delighted to know that you had such a great stay. It was certainly a pleasure to have you with us.
We hope to see you again in a near future.

Sabine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Fantastic experience, with outstanding service. I could not fault my stay. The location was perfect for the City. Nothing was too much trouble. Free wifi. Fantastic dining and drinking experience. I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Steve,

Thank you for your brief but great review.
I really appreciate that you took the time to comment about our product and services.
We hope to see you again soon.

Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed at the Montcalm for 2 nights while attending a conference. The conference venue was at walking distance which was a big plus. Hotel staff is very professional and friendly. Everything was done to ensure we had a pleasant stay.

Throughout the hotel there is free Wifi, which is an important element for business travelers. Signal strength and bandwidth are definitely one of the best I ever experienced at a hotel. A big plus!

The Club Room was really nice and had lots of fancy details: indirect lightning, floor heating, rain shower, DND electronic sign, EU plug etc. etc. The room itself was not too big but I assume this is according to the standards in London. Unfortunately the DND sign stayed on during the day (even after switching it off for sure) and as a result the room did not get cleaned.

The room was located on the street side and there was quite some noise from the street late in the evenings and early in the morning - the windows and glass are simply not isolating enough. I'm guessing this is due to the historic nature of the building and the fact they want to keep things genuine. For me it didn't really matter as I needed to get out of bed early anyway - but something to take into account when booking at the hotel.

Breakfast in the Jugged Hare is not cheap but definitely worthwhile. The buffet offers a wide variety of products and everything I had was just excellent. Great coffee and juice(s) too!

Overall a great experience. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street side - lots of noise early in the morning.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed and great review.
I delighted to know that you had such a good time with us and I really appreciate that you have mentioned our amenities and services.
In regards to the glazing I am happy to inform that we have already started to double glaze our rooms which are turned to the street. May I suggest for a future stay that our team is always happy to take requests?
We can’t wait to see you again.

Kind regards

Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Great place to eat and the staff were very attentive. Prices good for London and easy to find and also the Dining Rooms and The Brewery venue was brilliant. Will come back again next year. All in all a great experience.

Dear Nic,

Thank you for this brief but great review. It was a pleasure to have you here with us.
Since you have enjoyed our restaurant Chiswell Street Dining Rooms, may I suggest, for a future stay, why not try our sister restaurant the Jugged Hare?
We can’t wait to have you back.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Echoing many other raving reviews, this is a wonderful property with a caring, professional staff! We stayed a total of 6 nights and I was sad to leave - miss the staff and the pampering. My hubby needed to be in the financial district for business a couple of days, but we also were hoping to stay someplace nice to celebrate our 10th anniversary in style and spend the remainder of our time on vacation and do some site seeing. The Montcalm at the Brewery fit the bill perfectly, and Megha Sing, the front office manager, and the amazing staff wowed us over and over again with exceptional service, attention to detail, and a romantic surprise for our anniversary.

This is an interesting historical property so the entrances are all cobblestone, the ceilings are high, and there's some quirky short flights of stairs leading to the club room where afternoon tea, evening wine/beer and continental breakfast are available (for club room packages). The fitness room is adequate and clean, equipment was in good working order, and there's even a sauna and a separate steam room.

The hotel decor is tastefullly done, with fresh flowers in public areas, and public restrooms, comfortable and handsome leather furniture and a soothing water fountain in the lobby, and gorgeous chandeliers. I peaked in on the event rooms and they seemed well-appointed. The guest rooms are modern yet conservative, and the bed was heavenly - great pillows, fluffy comforter. The room had nice amenities like scent choice, comfy slippers and robes, a good-sized flat screen t.v., real china and a hot water pot for tea/instant coffee, a small refrigerator (maybe only in Club room??), and the color scheme that was serene yet masculine/neutral. Also, we needed a wheelchair accessible bathroom/room - ours was quite nice with a toilet that included a bidet feature (!) and a really nice shower wand, flip down wall seat, and separate rain shower head. The only downside is there's no wheelchair access to the Club Room, but the manager took care of us and provided in-room breakfast instead since the main reservations person didn't tell us the limitations in advance. Again, Megha and the rest of team were so very accomodating in every way possible so this didn't spoil our stay. The property is also one of the cleanest hotels I've ever stayed in.

Location is convenient to bus stops, Moorsgate and Barbican tube stations (fyi - NO wheelchair access), and a short walk to St. Paul's Cathedral, across from which is a nice mall on New Change. The cab ride to/from other sites was reasonable at around 12 to 18 pounds (we needed the wheelchair ramp so didn't take the bus). On a good weather day, I even walked all the way to Borough Market, a longer walk with decent site-seeing along the way. There's another cool market maybe a little closer - Spitalfields Market. We also enjoyed a long walk to the artsy, 'real London' neighborhood of Shoreditch for dinner at Dashoom (Bombay Indian cafe). Wonderfully yummy and good service.

We dined in a few times - amazing English breakfast via room service, with Illy coffee! Evening desserts and in-room dining had very limited choices but tasted fine. We celebrated our anniversary at the elegant but not stuffy Chiswell Street Dining Room which is located at one end of the hotel.The front of the restaurant also has a popular pub area where business professionals/ locals seem to enjoy for happy hour and pre-theatre libations, but not too noisy in the dining room. Food was good with decent portions and lovely presentation. Staff was great.

The hotel location was also so convenient to a phone store for a SIM card, a Boote's pharmacy, casual dining at Wagamama (gluten free options/ tasty Asian food) and a large cafe/bar with a diverse menu, All Bar One. We did not try the pub on-site, The Jugged Hare, because it didn't seem very wheelchair friendly, but it often had people there as we walked by. Also, I didn't realize how yummy Pret a Manger (take away deli/coffee) was when staying at MBLC, but there's one near the hotel so don't bother going to a Starbuck's; this chain is much better.

All and all, if you are able to book a room at the Montcalm at the Brewery London City for your time in London, you will not regret staying there!

Room Tip: We stayed in 319, facing the street and really near the elevator and stairs, yet it was reasonably q...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sandy,

Wow, What a review.

I am so happy that you had such a great time with us and that you took the time to leave your comments regarding your stay and our services.

We have certainly taken your comments, regarding the step free access, into consideration and will discuss them further with our team.

It was such a pleasure to have you and your husband with us and we can’t wait to have you back.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here for a friends wedding, very good service from arrival. A 5min taxi ride to hotel from Liverpool St, quick check in and upgraded to a club room as first weekend away from our child. We had breakfast the next morning very good and much needed! Would happily book this hotel next time in London

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Adam,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and thoughts on this forum. The same are much appreciated.
I am thrilled to learn that our team managed to surprise you with an upgrade, but that is our team. Always full of surprises!
We hope to see you again, soon.

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed at The Montcalm at the Brewery for 6 nights and just loved it. Describing the staff as attentive is an understatement. They were always friendly with a smile, a hello and you were never looking for assistance as there was always someone on hand.

Rooms in London are typically small and The Montcalm wasn't much of an exception, but the rooms we had were stellar nonetheless. Well appointed and very quiet. The only downside, from a room standpoint, that I can recall was figuring out what light switch controlled what lights. Honestly, I would have believed they even changed over time.

Beds were comfortable and towels/linens were excellent.

I liked the push button security feature that put a signal outside for do not disturb and housekeeping. Not having to worry about putting a flyer on the door was nice.

At the end of the rather long days (especially suffering from jet lag), it was really nice to enter the room in the evening with the tv tuned to classical music, some fresh fruit placed out and hotel slippers placed out should I want them (I didn't really, but it was a nice touch).

Wifi was complementary and gave me no issues. Didn't even require passcodes, which is easiest of all. (Maybe that's a bad thing?)

Room service was timely and the food was decent. But why do that when London has so many great restaurants to discover? The nearest tube station was Moorsgate, only a few blocks away.

Can't wait to stay there again next year.

1 Thank Reginald H
Dear Reginald,

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate that you mentioned our services and amenities.
I have passed your comments to the team who was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
In regards to the lighting system I will discuss with our team for a way of making it more user friendly.
We hope to have you back in a near future.