“Great City Hotel”

Ranked #78 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Great City Hotel”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

What a treat! I stay here whenever I'm in the city and love it. Staff are really friendly and can't do enough, rooms are new but all different. Toiletries are Elemis - lovely! For me it's the best city hotel as it's central, individual and has lovely staff. Chiswell dining rooms are great.

• Stayed May 2014
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn you had a wonderful stay with us; thank you for sharing your positive thoughts.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis.

Cluster General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seaford
Reviewed 2 June 2014

One of the best hotels I've stayed in for Business or pleasure. The quality of service was exceptional, as was the attention to detail which made our overnight stay a truly memorable experience. The staff could not do enough to make sure that we were well looked after and provided additional benefits as this was for our wedding anniversary. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: First time we've stayed, so have no experience of different rooms. I would imagine that all are...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your valued feedback.
We are glad to hear that we have won you over as one of our many happy guests

Our friendly and attentive staff will go the extra mile for our guests and nothing is too much to ask for, if it comes to putting a highlight on our guests stay.

Rest assured I have shared your wonderful comments with our team, who was delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time and everyone is looking forward to welcoming you and your daughter back to the hotel in the nearest future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

we stayed just the one night as a birthday treat as we were seeing a show in London .
The montcalm city London was an excellent choice .
The staff all work very hard to make sure you have a great stay and everyone was helpful and attentive from the minute we arrived until the moment we left.
The room was a good size and bathroom facilities were excellent .Everything you expect from a 5 star hotel, bed was comfy and spotlessly clean with excellent free wifi .
we would highly recommend staying here if your planning to stay in this part of the city.10/10

Room Tip: we stayed in the south wing and was excellent
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic feedback about your recent visit and we are very happy, that the Montcalm London City with its facilities and services were up to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your stay.

I am proud to say that our friendly and helpful team and extra touches in the room make every guest feel special and team strives to provide an enjoyable stay.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis and we are looking forward to pamper you once again with our hospitality.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

very nice lovely rooms and great staff unfortunate to not have any parking but there were sufficient spaces in the barbican theatre car park , lovely modern twist on an old style brewery, lovely friendly staff and good value for money !

• Stayed June 2014
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear James,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review on this forum.
It was a pleasure to have you with us.
WE hope to see you again soon.

Sabine
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My friend and I stayed here for two nights, the service was excellent from check in and check out. I I have to say their staffs were extremely helpfull and so service minded. I stay regularly in hotel for work and I have never been well taken care of at any other hotel.
The Montcalm will be my regular hotel for now on!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Alpha-Grace
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Alpha-Grace,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on this forum.

It’s always a great pleasure to receive valuable feedback. Our team here at the Montcalm London City consistently makes every effort to provide an excellent service to all our guests.

I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and we can't wait to welcome you back.

Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the Montcalm to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. We were asked why we were visiting London and as soon as we mentioned we were celebrating a birthday, we were upgraded to a Club Room (without even asking!).

The hotel reception is exceptional and the rooms are some of the highest quality I have seen in London. The staff are extremely courteous and attentive. The breakfast is at a price you would expect to pay in a London hotel, however is very good value when you consider the choice and quality of the food on offer.

Could not recommend this hotel anymore! I have stayed here on four or five occasions and have also stayed in many other London hotels, so I can easily compare. The Montcalm remains my favourite, without fail.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel H
Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking your valued time to share your review following your stay with us at the Montcalm London City for your girlfriend’s birthday.

I was thrilled to learn that you had such an amazing stay and that our team managed to help to make this special occasion even more special.

Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Experience started prior to arrival when I emailed the hotel to ensure that they had added my Montcalm membership number to the booking. I also explained that I usually stayed at another hotel in London whilst away on business, but that I hoped my experience would lead me to change to Montcalm, given it was so near my place of work. Despite 2 emails, no response. Upon arrival, I was met by the lovely concierge. Extremely personable, and definitely a wow factor, as this person took my case, directed me to reception, waited whilst I checked in and then took me to my room (although he did get lost a few times- it is a rabbit warren of corridors). Not the ideal check in as they did not have my membership number recorded, so I got none of the perks offered. Also, my reservation was with breakfast included, but they had no record of this and wanted to charge me the £19 extra- luckily I had my confirmation and showed her this. When I arrived at my room I felt like I was walking in to a cupboard. In an attempt to make it look bigger, the wall between the bedroom and bathroom was glass, so the bath was less than a meter from the bed!! I did not like this at all. It was so cramped, having to squeeze around the furniture. The window was very small, and curtains shut when I arrived- I do know why, because when I looked out it was dark and dismall, with a view of... offices no more than 10 foot away- I could see them working away- no day light at all. I then got a call asking me to bring my proof of breakfast being included to reception, so they could update my booking to ensure I actually got breakfast. This is certainly not what I expect from a 3 star, let alone a 5 star. I know there are significantly better rooms in the hotel, which may make it the 5 star, but not based on my cupboard. I won't be staying again as I could not settle at all in my room, as itI felt claustrophobic

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sam_x_74
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Sam,

Thank you for your valued feedback which is much which is most valuable to us as it helps us enhance our products and service.

The Montcalm London City is known to have a great variety of rooms that are very quiet; therefore, it disappoints us that we didn't make a positive impact whilst you were staying with us. Our team is always willing to help our guests to receive their preferred room type or in this case give some special attention to the rate would a request be placed in advanced or during your stay.

We thank you for your praising words about our very attentive concierge team.

We would like to welcome you back to the Montcalm London City; perhaps you could give us another opportunity to make it up to you, and provide you the exceptionally high standard of service you would rightly expect from us.