“Average Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #82 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Average Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here for business in July 2014. Whilst the hotel is ok I don't think its five stars (the room was fine but the public areas are very pokey) and I had two major gripes:

(i) there is no sound proofing between the rooms - consequently I was woken up during the night and at 6.30am each morning by my next door neighbour watching television and chatting; and
(ii) I was in a Montcalm club room. This entitled me to use the club lounge for breakfast and evening drinks/canapes. However every time I went for either of these I was challenged as my name wasn't on their list. Each time reception confirmed I was indeed in a club room but it was very tiresome to have to go through this process every day to get a beer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DaveD1818
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review following your stay with us at the Montcalm London City. Your feedback is most valuable to us as it helps us enhance our products and.

I regret to learn that you felt the need to express your concerns this way.

The Montcalm London City is known to have a great variety of rooms that are very quiet; therefore, it disappoints us that we didn't make a positive impact whilst you were staying with us.

We hope you will give us another chance to impress you with the excellent service we do provide.

Montcalm Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My Fiance and I stayed here Friday through Monday for a weekend away for his 40th Birthday. The staff were amazingly helpful in arranging a birthday cake, bottle of Moet & a 2 step free room upgrade prior to us arriving - such a lovely thing to have done, they really well above and beyond.
Our room was awesome, impeccably clean, lovely Elemis toiletries which were fully re-stocked every day.
I would recommend this Hotel and the Team that run it to everyone, a fantastic experience and we will definitely be back - Thanks again Montcalm @ The Brewery!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank salbirdcinnamon
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Greg,

Thank you for your great & encouraging words for the team.

It gives us great pleasure in knowing the fact that we are able to provide our valued clients with professional & personalised customer service.

We look forward to welcome you back at the Montcalm London City at the Brewery in the near future & we would certainly work our way forward to make sure every guest feel special and I am thrilled that your expectations were met.

Once again thank you for your time & motivating feedback.

St. Ives, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent location, this hotel has excellent meeting facilities and restaurants as part of the site.

The rooms, whilst not huge were well appointed and very functional. No traffic noise ensured good nights rest.

The rooms were clean and well maintained and the staff were very helpful not only about the hotel, but importantly they were very knowledgeable about how to move around London.

Would definitely stay there again.

I was part of a group of 40 attending a conference and the food and beverage was excellent and catered for all dietary needs. The hotel also provided excellent wifi reception that was fast no matter where you were around the hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shaun S
Dear Greg,

Thank you for giving us your valuable feedback.

We are very glad to know that we could provide you with a very satisfactory & comfortable holiday in London.

I am proud to say that our friendly and helpful team and extra touches in the room make every guest feel special and I am thrilled that your expectations were met.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis.

California, Falkirk, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here last Friday and Saturday night, and were very impressed.

The location was perfect for our needs, as we were going to an event in the Barbican on the Saturday night. About 90 seconds walk! Couldn't get much closer if we tried! I also didn't realise how close a) the hotel was to the Barbican tube station, and b) how close the Barbican was to King's Cross (where I had caught the train down from Edinburgh).

The service was excellent, and, when we said that we were here for our wedding anniversary, we found a little bottle of Moet had been put out for us. Lovely! The staff were very helpful, and gave us a room upgrade, which we weren't expecting. They were very attentive and solicitous of our needs.

The room was on the second floor, which was easily accessible via a lift (never did find the stairs!). We thought it a pretty good size, considering we were in the CIty. It overlooked a cobbled passageway, but was relatively quiet as it was not at the front of the building. The decor was minimalistic, but very nicely done. The bathroom was lovely - lots of light and mirrors against the black tiles with silver detailing. The bath products were Elemis, which we were very happy with. The shower was great - loved the choice of rain shower or normal one. My only niggle was that it was not possible to have the hand-held shower as a fixed shower, too - which would've been better when I didn't want to wash my hair. However, the shower cap also included a wee hair bobble - first time I've seen anything like that! There was a glass wall between the bathroom and the rest of the bedroom, which was good for light; there was also an electric blind so that you didn't have to see your partner do everything! My husband loved the hairdryer, and is thinking of getting one himself; high praise indeed, I can tell you!
The bed was very high, but very comfortable. The pillows were like sinking into clouds, and the duvet was lush. We had two nights of good sleep.

We had breakfast in the Jugged Hare, which was very good indeed, and a dinner with friends at the Chiswell Street Dining Rooms, which will be getting their own 5* review.

Have already recommended this hotel to a friend who stays a lot in the City - we loved it. Definitely one to come back to!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tash13
Dear guest,

Thank you for your encouraging & motivating feedback.

Such feedbacks would always help our team to work in the right direction & continue to maintain our standards for all our present & future clients.

We have definitely noted your feedback regarding the Shower Head & will try our best to resolve at earliest in order to ensure that all our guests experience a comfortable & hassle free stay.

It gives us great pleasure to say that our friendly and helpful team and extra touches in the room make every guest feel special and team strives to provide an enjoyable stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend stay at the Montcalm and I was blown away.
The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, the staff are so helpful the service is 5*. The aroma in the room is a lovely touch, and I found myself blown away by the small touches around the room. I would definitely come back.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us.

It is our immense pleasure that we did provide you with a comfortable & satisfactory stay at the Montcalm London City at the Brewery.

I am proud to say that our friendly and helpful team and extra touches in the room make every guest feel special and team strives to provide an enjoyable stay.

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

superb service, very attentive staff, comfortable and quiet room, would highly recommend, convenient location. enjoyed a drink outside the jugged hare bar, breakfast there was also excellent. I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing you’re your review in this forum following your recent stay

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Montcalm at The Brewery in June for our wedding anniversary and had a fantastic time! The hotel was beautiful with all of the latest amenities and the staff were very courtesy and helpful. In addition, the concierge worked with us before we even arrived to find excellent restaurants for our vacation as well as book all of the reservations. The hotel is in a great location, just a few minutes from the Barbican Tube Stop. Overall, it was truly an excellent stay that exceeded our expectations and we plan to visit again in the near future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg A
Dear Greg,

Thank you for taking your valued time to share your review following your stay with us at the Montcalm London City.