“Nice modern hotel in Barbican”

The Montcalm at the Brewery London City
Ranked #80 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times after finding it on booking.com (by the way the rates are better directly on their website usually). It is in a great location if you want to be close to central London and don't want to pay too much. It's not cheap but good value for money.
It has an amazing restaurant with great food, and the way some of the rooms are in a separate building is quite cool. However to find some of the rooms you have to go through a maze of corridors and lifts and it's slightly confusing but nothing major.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone who is in London for a couple of nights and would like to be not too far from everywhere. It's right next to the Barbican and St Pauls is only a short walk away, and you can catch the bus or the tube to anywhere in London.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank polinapetrova
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Polina,

Thank you for taking some time out of your busy schedule to write a great feedback about your recent visit at the Montcalm London City at the Brewery.

We always ensure that all our guests needs & preferences are well looked after & well implemented which we did for your flags as well.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis and we are looking forward to pamper you once again with our hospitality.

There are newer reviews for The Montcalm at the Brewery London City

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My stay at the Montcalm should have been great. The location was perfect for my work in the financial district, and for sightseeing by the Thames. Its part of a larger group of successful hotels, several of which I've enjoyed and rated positively. And, its housed in an old brewery and surrounded by pubs. What could go wrong?

Well, there was the room. The first room I was given had a window that was less than a foot tall and looked out on a shaft. This made the room dark and depressing and small. Even by European standards, it was pretty small. The second room was a bit bigger and the window was much bigger and looked out on the road. Much lighter and cheerier. One bathroom wall was glass, allowing you to look into the room, watch TV, etc while showering (or keep a blind closed). So, not a bad final outcome.

Then there was the concierge. One of the staff was exceptionally talented. He got me a great seat at a show, great directions to the tube and around the city, suggestion for climbing the steps at St. Paul's. Another of the staff sent me the wrong direction for a local landmark, gave me bad advice on a running route, and seemed generally indifferent to my existence.

At checkout, I was told that because I booked through Egencia (Expedia for business), they wouldn't give me a receipt, but would send it to Expedia. I asked several times in several ways to get the receipt and was told no. Never experienced that before.

So, some good, some bad. Know before you go.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JDofDC

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review following your stay with us at the Montcalm London City.

Your feedback is most valuable to us as it helps us enhance our products and service.

As per our records , the booking was made via Travel Agency, we are not able to provide with invoice and the same may be requested with Travel Agency after checking out from the hotel.

We thank you for your praising words about our useful bedroom amenities on this forum.

We hope we will have pleasure to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We spent a long weekend in this hotel, as part of my partner's business trip. Couldn't have been better for my first trip to London. The hotel is a charm, hands down. Each part felt luxurious, classic and suave without a hint of "posh" attitude. The lobby, common areas, rooms, corridors with a view to the courtyard, and the service itself are spotless.

Extra point, I was having issues with my debit card and was unable to check into our room (my partner hadn't arrived yet). Nevertheless, the reception personnel was really professional, polite, and showed sincere care to make me feel at ease. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dimitris K
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Dimitris,

Thank you for staying with us at the Montcalm City at the Brewery.

We the team here at the Montcalm London City at the Brewery feel very encouraged & motivated to receive your valuable feedback as this would help us to ensure that we would provide the best of our services to all our valued guests.

We look forward to welcome you back soon at the Montcalm London City at the Brewery as we wish that all our guests would visit us back & we can provide a comfortable stay with us in future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on a Friday night after having a good deal online (£150 a night)

The hotel is within walking distance of the Barbican Centre (2 mins) and the staff and service is excellent from check in to check out.

We were upgraded to a Club Room which was nice and were given some recommendations on some places to eat in the area. We decided to start off at the Jugged Hare next door which was a fabulous British Gastro pub serving great food and drink. I would recommend this place to all.

I thought the club room was nice and the lobby was very nice but the hotel did lack something that some other 5 star hotels had. Not sure what it was though.

Saying that the service was definitely up there with the best and this was confirmed in the morning when I realised I had forgot my cufflinks for my morning suit. I was attending a wedding in London in a couple of hours and the hotel come to my recuse. After 5 minutes wait Adrian provided me with his own cufflinks and said I could drop them back to him in the morning or post them back to him at the Montcalm. This was brilliant and was very kind of him.

I would stay here again especially if I can get a good deal as there is plenty going on nearby on a Friday night with plenty of people having drinks after work and Shoreditch around the corner. I would also recommend the rooftop bar at the South Place Hotel which is a 4 minute walk away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EGANSMIND

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your thoughts following your recent stay with us.

Our team here ensures that our guests receive just the best of service, with attention to detail and that special something that defines us who we are; as we are giving our best in every way to ensure our guests are leaving with delightful memories. I was thrilled to hear that Adrian went above and beyond his way and borrowed his cufflinks.

Thank you so much for recommending one of our restaurants Jugged Hare. I am sure you had an excellent meal there. We do have another great place to dine, the Chiswell Street Dining Rooms, which is open Monday to Friday and located on the corner of Chiswell and Milton Streets.

On behalf of entire Montcalm London City Team, I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and we are looking forward to your return visit to pamper you ones more with great hospitality

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Spent just one night here and really enjoyed it. The location is great, we walked almost everywhere but tube stations are quite nearby if you want them. The whole feel of the hotel is very calm and comfortable and the room likewise, as well as being very well equipped. Service was excellent and staff extremely helpful and friendly. We had dinner in the Jugged Hare restaurant next door and enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere, which was really buzzing on a Friday night. If you are here at the weekend you might want to seek advice on booking at a table, as it seems it can get very busy indeed. My friend and I both thought this was a lovely hotel and we would certainly hope to stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AlisonAUK

Dear Alison,

Thank you for taking your valued time to share such a wonderful review following your stay with us.

Since you have enjoyed our restaurant Jugged Hare so much, why not try, on a future occasion, our sister restaurant Chiswell Street Dining Rooms.

On behalf of entire Montcalm London City Team, I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spent two nights at the hotel with my sons (18 and 20 years old). The rooms were very nicely equipped, clean and sufficiently spacious. My only complaint was the outdoor noise that woke me each morning. Staff was very helpful. We had Club Lounge access, which provided a nice continental breakfast and snacks and beverages in the evening. Loved the Jugged Hare restaurant and pub next door!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 64LeeC03

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely thoughts about the hotel and team. We are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I am proud to say that our friendly and helpful team and extra touches in the room make every guest feel special and team strives to provide an enjoyable stay.

I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and we can't wait to welcome you back.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with my husband for a birthday celebration. On arrival, we had been upgraded to a club room and had a mini bottle of Moët in the room which was a nice touch. The room was lovely and despite being quite compact and having a small double bed, it was nice and cosy and very comfortable. The staff were very polite and helpful and we had a very nice continental breakfast on departure day. Only a few minutes walk from the tube station so a great location. I would recommend this hotel for a treat!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jacqui S

Dear Jacqui,

I am delighted to learn you had a wonderful stay with us for special occasion; thank you for sharing your positive thoughts.