“Great Service”

Ranked #78 of 1,068 Hotels in London
England, United Kingdom
“Great Service”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is the second time I have used this hotel. The welcome, as always, was superb, from the doorman to the gentleman on reception, both were polite and efficient; I was lucky enough to get early access to my room which I was not expecting. I stayed in a suite and the room was lovely, modern and spacious but comfortable with a superking bed. I was impressed with the emergency kit and the additional coffee machine. Nice to see semi skimmed milk in the room as most hotels only have UHT whole milk. The concierge was very well informed on the history of the hotel and was very helpful. This hotel has a great bar / restaurant attached downstairs and the bartender remembered our drinks and brought them to the table - nice touch. I did not have a full meal but I had bar snacks/ light bites they were great. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic feedback about your recent visit and we are very happy, that the Montcalm London City with its facilities and services were up to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your stay.

I am proud to say that our friendly and helpful team and extra touches in the room make every guest feel special and team strives to provide an enjoyable stay.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis and we are looking forward to pamper you once again with our hospitality.

Montcalm Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

This is one of these rare places where I, if given the chance, would not hesitate to sprinkle at least twice as many stars as allowed. Interior, service, flexibility. Everything absolutely perfect. From the booking procedure, through check in, to the lovely club room, and the fantastic staff, and lovely breakfast at the Jugged Hare, everything was absolutely outstanding. And oh, I forgot to mention great value for money. Can't see a reason for me to stay anywhere else when visiting London.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to learn you had a wonderful stay with us; thank you for sharing your positive thoughts.

Our team here at the Montcalm London City consistently makes every effort to provide an excellent service to all our guests.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel is worthy of its price, which is very boutique and modern. I like the decoration of it ,which is very and comfortable and fashionable. The facilitates are more than other hotels. The lobby has changed the flowers in the hotel, which leaves me good impression. It cares much on details. The location is good and in a quiet area. Btw, I love the candies and biscuits the hotel provides.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 珈仪 武
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your valued feedback.

We are glad to hear that we have won you over as one of our many happy guests

Our friendly and attentive staff will go the extra mile for our guests and nothing is too much to ask for, if it comes to putting a highlight on our guests stay.

Rest assured I have shared your wonderful comments with our team, who was delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time and everyone is looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the nearest future.

Kind regards
Banbury UK
Reviewed 26 August 2014

1st night we had to move rooms as 206 was very loud and some sort of generator next door was shaking windows and thrumming stopping us from sleeping. At 1am moved to lower grade room but was quiet.

In morning bleary eyed spoke to GM and she apologised and offered to upgrade us to a suite which was a fair resolution to the issue. Suite was lovely but some other minor niggles stops me from rating it as an excellent hotel. We would certainly consider staying again and staff were on whole very good. Club room breakfast was good and snacks at night OK to help keep you covered until a proper meal.

I would also ensure you look out of the windows in the inner courtyard to get some appreciation of the historic building as inside it has been pretty much removed so you would not know you were in such a historic building.

Finally the rooms do not believe in proper draws for clothes so be prepared to hang them or find some open shelving space. Storage is a bit tight.

Room Tip: Avoid 206 if still has noise issue. Check the room before unpacking and I would check rest of room t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely thoughts about the hotel and team. We are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us.

It’s always a great pleasure to receive valuable feedback. It helps us to improve our service and product.

The Montcalm London City is built within a listed property; and used to be the Whitbread Brewery. So its quirky layout is due to original features, this, together with our modern décor, gives our property a charm which is unique

On behalf of entire Montcalm London City Team, I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 26 August 2014

It's a very nice hotel with friendly staff. We arrived quite early at 9 a.m. but were delighted that we already got a room. The room was perfectly clean, a comfortable bed and a beautiful bathroom. It was quite dark because we were at the back of the building and only had a small window. But we would definetly book the hotel again on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Ellen,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your valued feedback. We are glad to hear that we have won you over as one of our many happy guests.

Our team here ensures that our guests receive just the best of service, with attention to detail and that special something that defines us who we are; as we are giving our best in every way to ensure our guests are leaving with delightful memories.

We are glad that we exceeded your expectation and hope to be of your service again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel is really fantastic, classy and cozy with very friendly and accommodating staff which made our stay a remarkable one. Thanks to Tim and Simona who were very helpful, pleasant and welcoming. The concierge team was also lovely and helped us plan a nice day out in the city. The english breakfast was a perfect start for each day as it was
really good with a variety of choices. The location was perfect as it is very close to the Barbican station and close to the top London city attractions. I would definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Darcy,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your valued feedback.

We are glad to hear that we have won you over as one of our many happy guests and that location was convenient for the purpose of your stay.

Tim and Simona were over the moon when they heard their names were mentioned on this forum.

We look forward to welcome you back soon at the Montcalm London City at the Brewery.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is a modern hotel that has been thoughtfully fitted into an old building so be prepared for it not being the usual endless corridors of homogenous rooms. This does bring with it some interesting quirks such as needing to take a lift, walk along a corridor, up a couple of steps and then up a flight of stairs to get to your room. It is worth it though.

The rooms are on the small side but that is normal for central London. The room had everything I needed, including the option to have either a shower or a bath and the bath was new enough and pristine enough for me to actually consider using it.

One thing I really liked about this hotel is that the bar and restaurant both have entrances on the street - a passerby might not even realise the Chiswell Street Dining Rooms was part of this hotel. The bar at the other end looks just like your average London gastropub which, by the way, serves an excellent breakfast - part buffet, part a la carte, all included in my room rate.

I don't think I heard a single English accent from staff the entire time I was in the hotel, but that didn't matter - ALL the staff were very friendly, very helpful and made me feel at home.

Although I stayed here because I had meetings in the City (the financial district) the transport connections to the rest of London are good with Liverpool St, Moorgate and Barbican stations all nearby.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I will surely pass on your positive and encouraging feedback to Megha so that we can serve you with our utmost dedication and sincerity on all your future visits.

On behalf of entire Montcalm London City Team, I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and we are looking forward to your return visit to pamper you ones more with great hospitality.