“Cool Atmosphere, but limited selection”

CheckMate Bar, Lounge and Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
CheckMate Bar, Lounge and Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,942 of 23,009 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Description: CheckMate Bar, Lounge and Restaurant occupies the ground floor of Kensington���s Park International Hotel. Its location in chichi southwest London makes this an ideal stop off after a visit to the area���s many museums and attractions, or for guests at the hotel. The d��cor follows a unique black and white chess theme, making this a glamorous place to kick back and relax. The raison d'��tre at CheckMate Bar, Lounge and Restaurant is cocktails ��� well-trained staff are skilled at preparing a wide range of delicious drinks. The menu features both pan Asian and traditional British pub dishes, meaning you can enjoy anything from a fragrant pad Thai to a hearty burger and chips, depending on your mood. The menu changes regularly and there are also daily specials, and a range of bar snacks.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cool Atmosphere, but limited selection”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

The bar is a hip place to hang out, but many of the items on the menu were unavailable.

Visited January 2012

London, United Kingdom
“our stay”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

great food, good atmosphere, staff attentive and nice bar area

Visited December 2011
London
“Excellent, a very pleasant surprise.”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This restaurant and bar is an absolutely fantastic gem in one of Londons most prestigious areas.

The hotel has gone under a recent renovation and it shows. The décor is smart and the foyer, bar, restaurant and even toilets were impeccably clean. Cleanliness I feel is always important in a hotel/restaurant as I feel it sets the standard for what is going on behind closed doors.

The food is described as having Thai and British pub influences. We had chicken satay and ribs to start, followed by a burger each and desert. Every course was of excellent quality and value and we finished everything. Service was attentive and friendly.

The only negative I would say was the lack of choice of wine. The red wine options were only between a Chilean Merlot and Spanish Tempranillo. We were advised that there was also a Shiraz, but we didn’t fancy that. We chose the Merlot which was £15 – very keenly priced, but very average tasting also. We would have been happy to pay more for something a little nicer.

To conclude, this seems to be a really nice hotel, as well as being a smart bar and good restaurant. On the night we visited it was quieter than usual and the background music was questionable but as a local to the area I would very happily return.

• Visited December 2011
Leeds
“good food”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Good food and service at a good price but very dark room

Visited December 2011
Mississauga, Canada
“Mixed Review”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Ate 3 meals at this restaurant. The first two occasions the meals were good, especially the side order of Asian fried vegetables. The service by the waitress was not good but the service by the waiter was very good.

The following review is on the 3rd meal. Ordered salmon with a side order of Asian fried vegetables. I found the rice was not hot, the salmon was dry and the side order was negligible. I could not ask for hotter food as the waitress NEVER came back after she served me my food. Nor was there any other staff in the dining room. After I finished eating, I waited a long time for the waitress to return so I could ask for my bill. As there was still no sign of her, I asked the bartender/Manager-Food Services, who happened to come into the dining, for my bill. He asked how the food was and I told him that it was not good and explained why. To which he replied “This is our best seller.” Needless to say I was very disappointed with the Asian fried vegetables, and the lack of service. I paid an extra 3.95 GBP which was a lot for the side order as the serving was very negligible. Again, had it been as delicious as the first time I had it on Oct.28, I would not have written about the price. (P.S. By the time I left the restaurant the waitress had still not returned.)

Visited October 2011