“I have had better”

Ranked #262 of 1,068 Hotels in London
San Diego, California
“I have had better”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Was there in March during a business trip. We picked this hotel because it was near the ExCel convention center. However, and this is not the fault of the hotel, I seemed to have to walk for miles every day on my way to my exhibit hall at the far end of the Center. Be aware of that when booking for a Trade Show! I was a little confused about the Breakfast tickets. I was given tickets for the 3 days I would be there. Upon viewing my bill later on, I discovered I had been charged for the last day, when in fact, I had given them my ticket? Not sure what happened there but I was back in the States before I realized. Be sure to check your bill before you leave! My fault. I took some colleagues back to the bar at the end of one evening and we ordered cocktails. Mine and my female colleague's tasted like water but the price certainly was not for water. I didn't want to say anything in front of my guests but I was less than happy. One did comment later about her vodka being very weak. The rooms are comfortable but if you want ladies to stay in your rooms, please don't put the outlet for the hair dryer under the sink with an in house hair dryer cord that doesn't reach far? I see the men's shaving outlet doesn't have this issue, which I find quite irritating! Also, when I have a do not disturb sign on my door, please don't come in. I was asleep, after I got in from California , and woke up with a start to find a cleaning lady standing in my room apologizing for coming in! Good job I had my jammies on - don't want to scare the natives :)

Room Tip: I don't think it really matters.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Aukgalgg
AloftLondonExcel, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Hey Aukgallgg,
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. It seems a few things during your stay were not right, from what you are saying, we clearly failed to explain them better to you and provide a more detailed orientation of your room and the hotel.
We understand the issue with the ladies' hairdryer and the gent's razor, therefore we have provided well-placed electrical sockets for both. I am sorry you did not see the one right next to the mirror and coffee tray, ideal for the hairdryer scenario. Please feel free to contact me directly and we would like to adjust any error on your breakfast bill, this should not have happened and we apologize for the mistake and the inconvenience caused. I will also personally review with the team the feedback you provided, this means a lot to us and is much appreciated.

TOP TIP: Aloft London Excel is located on the East side of ExCeL, we are connected to the ICC (International Convention Centre). If your meeting takes place on the West side of ExCeL, it is a 5minute walk through the halls.

julia.harnischfeger@alofthotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St Helier, Jersey
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We chose the Aloft hotel based on price as it seemed very cheap for a four star hotel even on the outskirts of london. Not having stayed in Docklands before I was not expecting much with refards to either the hotel or local transport. We were both pleasantly surprised at how clean and efficient the DLR was and how fabulous the hotel was. We were greeted very warmly on our arrival and were offerered membership with the hotel chain. Having spent most of the day travelling we were eager to eat and the well informed staff on the reception desk were able to provide us with a list of the local restaurants. I would recommend the Carribean restaurant at the other end of Excel to anyone staying in the area. The re-fueling station is a great idea as it means you can get snacks any time of the day or night and we even ate in Fede's twice during our stay. The room itself was absolute luxury and well on a par with other 4 and 5 star hotels in the capital. I only wish I had remembered to bring my swimming trunks as I could not buy any locally. For those who have commented on here about the distance into the city - all I can say is that I would rather spend time on the DLR than the underground. I will definately be using this hotel again especially as we have now discovered it is cheaper for us to fly into London City - Yay no more Gatwick Express

Room Tip: The room we had was great but I would be tempted to pay more for a suite
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hey Chay T,
Thank you for your review, this is exactly what Aloft hotels are all about. Paying a reasonable price, does not mean you cannot enjoy impressive design, free WiFi and friendly service. We like to share the Aloft vibe with our guests.

IMPROVEMENT INSIGHT: Sorry to hear that you forgot your swimming trunks, other guests have mentioned the same happening to them. We are currently reviewing how we could include a nice selection for purchase into our re:tail unit. We do not want any of our guests to miss our on a quick dip in Splash!

Hoeselt, Belgium
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife came up with the Aloft hotel as a cost-effective solution for our long weekend stay in London. At first, it looks way out of the downtown, but with the good connection by DLR and night busses this hotel next to the ExCeL convention centre is only half an hour away from the busy London downtown while quiet and relaxing at night.

My wife is a bit shy, so she jumped at the opportunity to check in and out through the automated checking desks which cut down waiting times close to none. One evening we enjoyed the splash with sauna and steamroom which is wonderfully equipped for a relaxing swim.

The room itself is roomy, with a desk with all the necessary connections to recharge your devices or listen your own music or watch your own movies through the television. It even features an european power plug if you forgot to take your adapter along and just arrived. The loft design means though that the bathroom is open and even the shower is lit by daylight.

All in all, I would visit this hotel again because it is undoubtly cheaper than the other alternative we used to visit, and is right at a public transport station with ample parking space if you travel by car. That and the very nice pool.

Room Tip: The rooms with a river view might scare you off because of London City Airport nearby, but sound iso...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Hey Wooter,
Thank you for the detailed review, your insights certainly assist our future guests to make their decision on where to stay. Great to hear you found the connection to Central London easy and hassle-free.

Splash, our pool, is a very relaxing space and beautifully designed. We are just uploading our newest photography, which means all our fans can now enjoy a preview on the Aloft London Excel website. But, what can I say, you need to stay and experience it!

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back. There is alwasy the option of our easy-breezy self-service check-in or the front desk team are here to welcome you.

Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for 3 nights. There is a cool couple of bars located on the other side of the business center, and not a bad place to hang out. it is perfect for proximity to train station. Ver modern design. I was absolutely blown away by the design. The bar staff needed a bit of help and a lesson or two in customer service, but their staff was saved by who seemed like the bar manager. He was awesome. I would say, though, by being owned by starwood I expected an onsite little store. Instead they had display windows with a few items you could ask the front desk for. The restaurant Had an okay breakfast. The only reason I would not stay here again is the location- it is about a 20 minute train ride to get to the heart of London.

As

Stayed April 2012
Hey Larinda O,
Thank you so much for staying with us at Aloft, great to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the comment that you were "blown away" by the design of the hotel. Our architects Jestico & Whiles did a stunning job and we are sure they will take home a few design awards in 2012. You should very shortly be able to view our newest photography on our website, this includes re:fuel, backyard and the most fantastic external shot at sunset. Have a look.

ALOFT INSIGHT: Re:tail is our version of a mini-shop, for all those little items that are easy to forget when travelling. We currently sell a variety of items, but would love to hear from our guests what else you would like to see. Let us know.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Great beds, clean and stylish rooms, good public transportation options. Only downside is that the DLR train to the nearest underground is 20 minutes. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012
Hey logandk,
Thank you so much for staying with us. I am unsure what to say, except 'Thank You for helping us to receive 4 perfect scores on Tripadvisor in a row'. This is very special and I know it will mean a lot to the team. More importantly we hope your stay meant a lot to you and that we will soon be able to welcome you back.

While we value your positive comments, please be sure to also let us know if you have any ideas on how we can do even better (we wish we could move our building a little closer to the city centre....we might just have to open another Aloft in London.) We are always on the look-out for tips and feedback to improve. Thank you to you and all other Tripadvisor reviewers for assisting usto achieve this.

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed in this for one night and I immediately felt at home - the place looks amazing. Lots of open space, bright colours, very much my style. The room was spacious, had complimentary water and a big shower. We also ate in the restaurant downstairs (which is not officially part of the hotel I believe), which had a high-quality buffet on. The food was great and the drinks in the hotel bar later on were just as good. Very nice atmosphere, although I think they could have benefited from another set of hand behind the bar. The beds were very comfortable and I had a great night sleep before my (surprisingly short!) travel to London City Airport. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Hey Hotella89,
What could we possibly add, you have said it all.
Thank you for taking the time to let future guests know how you felt about your stay.
I am sharing your fantastic feedback with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back.

TOP TIP for first time guests: FEDE Restaurant is located on the second floor of the hotel. The buffet we served when Hotella89 stayed was a special occasion. But, no matter what day, FEDE always serves great food from their a la carte menu and are open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

See you soon again.

Leeds
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have stayed in many hotels when travelling down on business to London, however I find this to be the best hotel that I have stayed in by far.
The hotel is clean, the staff friendly and the rooms are fantastic with all you can want.
It makes a change to stay in a hotel where you are treated like a person and not 'another guest'.
Check in was nice & quick and I was given all the details I needed with it been my first tiime stay with them.
The beds are fanatastic and I slept really well.
They offer a complimentry shuttle service to Canary Wharf and it is very efficient with no waiting.
I loved the bottles of water and the lovely 'smellies' & shampoo. I loved the grab & go breakfast too and the food on offer was delicious
I am quite a fussy person but I cannot fault this hotel or its staff in anyway. I will book this hotel everytime I need to travel on business to London

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CheeCheeA
Hey CheeCheeA,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write.
As one of our newest Aloft fans, we hope you follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected to what is happening at Aloft London Excel. We are planning a number of music events for the rest of the year and I am sure next time you will be with us, the place will be buzzing again.

TO TIP for first time guests: you said it all - our easy-breezy complimentary shuttle to Canary Wharf. Runs in the morning and evening Monday to Friday. Just sign up at the Front Desk.

We look forward to welcoming you back.