“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #259 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Wonderful stay whilst at conference in Excel. Well furnished rooms with wifi and good cleaning services.
Dinner was good with much choice.
Breakfast was rather odd with food collection on a tray before seeking out your own table!
Excellent hotel for conference events.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Aloft London Excel is a W hotel ie belongs to SPG. As such you need to know that they are into the Green Movement.

Checking in was easy as they allow us to self-check (I am pretty IT savvy so this is easy for me) but to others unfamiliar to this concept than you can also proceed to the counter. With this technology you can pretty much stay in your hotel without ever seeing any of the staffs ..... I am fine with that arrangement.

The hotel is just 100m away from Prince Regent station..... those with luggages should not worry because there are no stairs to climb........from the station you can just lull your luggage all the way into the hotel (there are step-free walkways all the way)

I love the hotel. The room is huge and facing the O2 arena. The toilet is also large with beautiful rainshower/amenities by Bliss. The way it is designed is just simply superb.

Lastly, it has super fast internet (wifi) and its free.

If I am coming back to London, I will definitely stay here again.

A small complain will be that this hotel lies within region 2 so if you are buying those day passes then make sure it covers region 2 ............ to me its worth the travelling. When I was staying there they don't have room service but thats fine because on one of the days, I simply just go to the hotel, make my order and came back 15minutes later to have it all readily packed to bring back to my room for consumption. No problem at all for me but others may beg to differ.

Room Tip: Make sure to buy Region 2 if you are buying the tourist train passes.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vafirish
Aruba
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This hotel is located at the Convention Center Excel - Very convenient and offers all basic services.
The rooms are well equipped, nicely appointed and well maintained. Housekeeping is efficient and WIFI works. The business center is well equipped.
My compliments to the hotel manager who came to the rescue when my reservation could not be found because it was booked for 2014 rather then 2013. The hotel manager made arrangements for an alternative hotel for the night, as they were totally booked, and made sure I was accommodated for the following days.
There are a number of restaurants and convenience stores in the area, which is very convenient after a long day at work.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
AloftLondonExcel, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Hello Ewaldbiemans,

Thank you for the compliment, I am glad I was able to accommodate you on the following days and it was a pleasure meeting you. It’s fantastic to read that you had a pleasant stay at the hotel as your work base & substitute home.
Like yourself, many of our guests also comment on the cleanliness of the hotel, and once again we have reason to celebrate with our Refresh team. We don't call them Refresh for nothing, they truly make sure that everything is sparkling clean and we know how important that is for our guests.

For any future travels which bring you to London, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again

With Smiles from the Docklands!

Julia Harnischfeger
Hotel Manager
Funchal, Portugal
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hotel is right next to the Excel. Very good if you are attending any exebition.
Also the hotel is very good. I've stay there for the WTM, and it was really great. Very near the excel. You do not spend £ in transports, when you'r tired from the exebitions you can go and relax on the hotel. It has a swiming pool that is so great. The breakfast, is a grab and go, you get to choose 3 items and 1 beverage that is more than enough. The restaurant Fede in the hotel is good, but you have other restaurants arround. If you are attending any exebition on the Excel this is the right choise.

Room Tip: I've attenden the WTM in November, and my room was for the back. Every night I would see firewor...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Had the most AMAZING time at this hotel over the past weekend. A little on the expensive side in my opinion, I don't like having to pay more than £100 a night for a hotel, however managed to plan in advance and get a bit of a deal so didn't pay the full standard rate.
The hotel was a 2 minute walk from Prince Regents DLR Station which was very well lit at night.
We stayed in a king size room and I was definitely big enough. Felt like I was miles away from my boyfriend in the bed it was that big!
On the first night we went to the restaurant Fede, which we felt was slightly overpriced however you do get a lot on your plate. The menu wasn't very varied at all, we opted for fish and chips which was lovely, we each got two decent sized fish fillets on our plates! One probably would have done the job. I ordered a glass of wine which when it arrived at the table looked more like a half a glass of wine. I expected more considering it was £6 a glass! The second night we ordered pizza and had it delivered to the hotel, we saw a lot of people having takeaways ordered, most likely because of the lack of choice in the restaurant, they only had about 6 main courses to chose from, I would have liked more of a selection.
The TV was interesting, not all the standard freeview channels you'd get in the UK were available on this TV, only the basic 1-5 plus a few extra digital ones, also a few French and German channels too. The only problem with the TV I'd say is that the channels had weird numbers assigned to them so you would have to search through trying to find which one you wanted. Also every time you turn on the TV you have to navigate through a selection of menus before you can actually get to watching any TV!
The room had air conditioning and heating which you could control yourself which was good. A lot of reviews on here mention the shower being leaky and leaking all over the bathroom, I think this is because the showers are more walk-in shower rooms, than actual shower units, so the water does spread on the floor a little yes, but upon our arrival to the hotel we found a towel had been neatly rolled up and placed by the shower door, we left it there during our stay and found it did a good job of catching the water from the shower.
The room also had a fridge and safe which were free of charge to use, we found this very helpful as we had planned to buy some snack type foods to keep in the room which we wanted to keep chilled. An ironing board and iron was also provided, along with a hairdryer, which had i known beforehand, would have cleared about half the space in my bag! Hairdryers aren't always supplied by hotels! There was also a kettle and little coffee sachets which were refreshed everyday, they also supplied little takeaway style coffee cups which we liked as we could make coffee in the mornings and then take it away with us.
The hotel in general we felt was fairly secure. We realised that anyone could use the restaurant/bars, and it seemed there was no barriers to get into the gym or pool and as these were both on ground floor I guess anyone could gain access to them, especially as you do not have to pass the reception desk to get to them from the entrance. The rest of the hotel however felt very safe, in the lift you required a room key to get to any floor with rooms on, so anyone who wasn't a guest wouldn't be able to roam the corridors or anything. The door to our room could be locked and also a chain could be put across which was useful as we found members of staff sometimes didn't give you enough time to get to the door before opening.
This hotel was very close to London City Airport and when outside the noise of the planes is really very loud, however from inside we couldn't hear a thing. If you didn't know the airport was there you would have never been able to guess.
SO! Overall a very good enjoyable stay. My only negative points are as follows:
1.) Upon arrival and during the stay the man who served us on the reception desk I found to be a little rude. He seemed as though he didn't really want to be there. He didn't give any contact whatsoever and didn't smile or say "enjoy your stay" or anything.
2.) Upon leaving I found that someone had made a charge against my room for £13. This apparently was spent on breakfast at the re:fuel station however we hadn't visited it at all. The hotel said they would investigate the case and wouldn't charge my room until they had investigated the case and found proof it wasn't me. So unfortunately I had to leave the hotel with the problem unresolved. I just hope I don't see a £13 charge on my bank statement in the coming days. It just made me think how easy it is for someone to go in there, and give any room number and say charge to that room please, I think they should have better checks on things like this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

A great hotel for the money. Stayed a couple of nights for our annual London Weekend! Transport links are good but always use Prince Regent. The rooms are minimalist and have all the amenities. Awful slow telly system with very limited info. The pool is excellent with mood lighting and the sauna and steam room are great. No Jacuzzi though - did miss it! We had the 'included continental breakfast' which is a voucher system where you can have 3 items from the refuel corner + hot drink. When you 1st look at it you think 'oh is that it!' But it is actually really good. The porridge and croissants are fab! I would definitely stay again!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stevecass100
Trang, Thailand
Reviewed 2 November 2013

It took me a long time trying to find a hotel for London and this is what i eventually choose. If i had booked earlier in the year there were some nice hotels in better areas. This was not bad in the end but the food from the grab and go counter was expensive and i was not going to pay for the full breakfast. The room was very nice and had a view of the river. Located near to the city airport will be helpful to some people. The DLR is just out the door and i paid around 8 pounds a day for 1 travel card (if you travel peak times a little more but still ok). The travel card gave me all day travel on both train and bus. The hotel looks a little out of the way but with the travel card and the train outside the hotel you are soon in a more central area. We got here from Heathrow late and cheaper than i thought it would be by train. Staff were average.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple