“Great hotel”
Review of Aloft London Excel

Aloft London Excel
Ranked #268 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is a great hotel at a good price. Julia and the team are extremely friendly, making everyone feel welcomed and do all they can to make the stay enjoyable and relaxing. The rooms, pool and gym facilities are far better than you will find in any hotel in the local area or indeed across central London, for the price. The location may not be central however the hotel is well located for both business and leisure breaks, with the DLR connection 1 minute from the hotel (Canary Wharf and Stratford shopping centre c10 mins away, with Central London no more than 20-25mins on the tube)

The hotel restaurant has recently been taken over by the hotel itself and the quality is significantly improved, there are also a number restaurants within a 10 minute walk (other-side of the excel centre)

Despite travelling frequently, I rarely submit a review, however I feel this hotel deserved a few comments and recommendation.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Carlos02
AloftLondonExcel, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Hello Carlos02
Wow! Thank you so much for the five star score. Taking the time out of your busy work schedule to share your experience with the world is the biggest compliment we can get. I am delighted to read that as a team we do a great job in meeting your expectations and I will certainly celebrate with the Aloft team!

Our hotel is becoming a firm favourite on the ExCeL campus for our business guests.

Top tip: If you are heading to Canary Wharf in the morning, or coming from Canary Wharf in the evening, we have free shuttle service that can drop you off in the morning or pick you up in the evening. (we know you already use it, but other guests might not know)

The team and I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Aloft London Excel

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Very good price for a nice facility. Very comfortable room, great TV and shower. But...
Check-in at 4:00PM on November 18 involved a man giving me a key and pointing me to the elevator. Never heard if there was a gym or a pool or anything else the hotel had to offer. When I asked about a wake-up call, the response was: "We don't do that."
By exploring on my own, I found out the restaurant and bar were not open until 5:00 or 6:00 PM (I got there at 4:00 and hadn't eaten all day) but when I asked about other options, I was told to try their "Touch & Go" kiosk (lobby convenience store). Not in the mood for a candy bar, upon further investigation I discovered that there was a pub with food, within walking distance. It was pretty good. And the staff was nice.
Aloft? Good for a DIY traveller. Only positive interaction with staff was the guy that checked me out at 7:00 AM on November 20. He gave me tips on using the train and asked about our stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Larks M

Hello Mr Larks,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

I am glad you liked the hotel décor and style and had a pleasant stay. Our sassy space at Aloft, including splash, re:mix lounge and the loft-like guestrooms, make the hotel very stylish and unique, and our quality beds and linen make for a comfortable stay - all our fans agree with it too.

I apologise that the welcome you received upon check-in was poor. It seems we did not do a good job in communicating the many facilities at Aloft London Excel to you.

We will take the feedback on board and follow up with the team member and hope this does not deter you from visiting us again. Please let me know when you are next in the Dockland's area and we would value the opportunity to welcome you back to show you how we live life Aloft.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Aloft Excel for nine nights and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. Beautiful, large and well designed rooms, good customer service, very close to the underground with easy access to the west end and only 10 mins to Canary wharf. Breakfast was okay and the staff always had a smile on their faces when they saw you. Only hitch was I requested a river view room which I wasnt given but was on a high floor facing the dlr but that wasnt too bad. as it was quite. Had good nights sleep every day. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hello 149LisaP,

Thank you for choosing us as your home away from home for nine days. Great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the Aloft experience and thought our talents were super friendly.

I am very happy that you had a good night's sleep every day. Positive comments about our rooms, bed quality and pillows are always top of the list. The Aloft brand is designed for the traveller that craves for a bold experience, with forward-thinking design, tech-savvy features and I am glad this worked for you.

Please continue to explore our Aloft hotels worldwide and let us know if there is anything we can improve.

I look forward to meeting you personally on a future stay and feel free to reach out for anything you need.

Have an easy-breezy day!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed at the Aloft overnight as part of the geekfest that was the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Celebrations.

The hotel is ideally placed for excel centre users, a 2 minute walk from Prince Regent DLR station and close to the East End of the centre. The DLR goes direct to Tower Gateway more frequently, requiring a change at Canning Town for the Tube. Took us around 45 mins from St Pancras.

Check in was friendly and informal and we were given smart keys for the rooms. These keys activate the lift and allow access to each of the floors and rooms in a quite tightly controlled way. I was staying on the second floor and friends were staying on the 4th and we weren't able to access each other's floors. Did lead to a sticky situation when i attempted to take the stairs from the 4th to the second and found myself temporarily trapped in a stairwell.

The rooms were generously sized with modern decor and furniture. Both rooms had very large flatscreen TVs with rather expensive on demand services and a reasonable range of multilingual TV and Radio channels. A great feature is the free wifi, which i found to be fast and reliable despite the battering which it must have taken with a hotel full of Doctor Who fans!

I could wax lyrical for pages and pages about the wonders of the bathroom. The shower was quite possibly the best shower I have ever had anywhere and I would happily book into the hotel again for the shower alone.

On the second floor there was a fair bit of noise from the bar below although it didn't prevent me from sleeping and stopped at a reasonable time.

Having had a second shower, woke up to find that we had vouchers for the restaurant breakfast. Service was good and the range and quality of the food available was excellent. I understand is £16 without the voucher, which I would think seriously about, although the food looked considerably superior to the grab and go affair that was in reception, which has received good reviews on this site before.

Overall, the location for the Centre of London isn't brilliant, but if you can get a rate as good as we got through Skoosh (£79 for a night including the excellent breakfast) then I would seriously consider Aloft as a good alternative to Central London hotels. If you are using Excel or City Airport then I would strongly recommend you stay here. As the 9th Doctor would say, Fantastic!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Hello sidney1974,
Thank you for taking the time to write, I am thrilled you had fantastic stay with us whilst visiting the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Celebrations at Excel. So many of our guests and reviewers have commented on the great price-value of their stay, stylish décor and tech-savvy features. You hit the mark with your review, Aloft is about comfort with style, and affordable luxury.

For the many of you who have stayed, the hotel was buzzing and this is definitely not a remote location.

Keep following us on Facebook and you will always know what is happening at Aloft London Excel.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

excellent service, beautiful and comfortable room.amazing breakfast, very good and helpful stuff.near public transportation.i enjoyed the sauna, steam room and swimming pool very much.the people working there were very kind and helped us organise our tour to london by suggesting and giving directions every moment we wanted.great room, almost like home!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marthaspetses
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Got a great bargain deal at this hotel, around the same price as a travel lodge but wow the room and service are really great.
Perfect location for the dlr just a few minutes walk, brilliant river views all in all I would recommend this to anyone

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Really nice hotel, reasonably situated for Canary Wharf via the DLR. It's quite a long way out if you want to visit central London. A friendly welcome on reception with an efficient check-in. Rooms were very modern but very comfortable and very well priced. My only criticism was that by 8pm most of the dishes on the bar snacks menu were not available and even for London an average glass of red wine for £6-£8 is overpriced. Breakfast is included but you only get 3 items from the menu as part of the price, eat lightly or pay more.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business