“Near-perfect hotel near Canary Wharf”
Review of Aloft London Excel

Aloft London Excel
Ranked #266 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel is a perfect choice for those on business stays in East London.

It's a stones-throw from Prince Regent DLR, so easily accessible to central London, as well as the East business districts.

It's a seemingly brand new hotel. Mint condition. Ultra-modern and sharp. The room was actually faultless. Great views, huge space, big bed, and amazing bathroom. Hotel lifts and corridors are pretty snazzy.

Complimentary breakfast was also great. Good choice and lovely restaurant area. Attentive staff.

The check-in staff at the hotel were perfect. Especially the young guy who works on the desk. Couldn't do enough to help, ( and I was a pain in the ***** asking for help with everything).

One of the greatest things ever to happen in my life, was the complimentary shuttle car to Canary Wharf. I had to be in work for 8am, and the relief of not having to get the tube was fantastic.

Brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
AloftLondonExcel, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Hello Matt_1990,

Thank you for choosing the Aloft London Excel for your business stays. It seems our space in East London really worked for you. Aloft is ideal for business travellers craving for a bold experience. With our forward thinking design, tech-savvy features and fast and free WIFI, it makes it a real treat for all our guests and it is definitely worth the little distance into central London.

We like to try our best like to make our guest’s stay just right for them and I am glad our complimentary shuttle service to Canary Wharf was great for you and enabled you to travel to work in easy-breezy style.

Thank you so much for the stellar review. The team and I look forward to welcoming you once again. Have easy breezy day!
Julia Harnischfeger
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,919)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We had an initial three-night stay in London while visiting to see Coriolanus and Richard II at London theaters. This was by far the best hotel we stayed at during our trip - the room was spacious, free wifi was a bonus, and the bathroom was amazing.

This hotel is in zone 3 of London's transport network, so it is about 30-40 minutes from main London attractions, but being right on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) is a huge bonus. It's also quite close to London City Airport as well.

There are no complaints about this hotel at all - and the higher up you are, the better the views of London! Do check with the hotel if visiting by car - it is a little tricky to find, and most GPS/sat-navs struggle to direct you accurately.

Room Tip: Ask for restricted-access rooms if you want good deals and amazing bathrooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed here for New Years Eve and from the moment we arrived knew it was the right choice. We went to reception to check if room ready as we were early. The friendly gentleman apologised as it wasn't but took luggage etc. I had my 12 year old son with me which meant we needed beds for 3 and he apologised again because they had not got enough roll away beds so immediately changed room to one with 2 queen beds and what a beautiful room it was. It was as though nobody had slept there before. The view from 7th floor was great with huge windows and no noise! We arrived back after celebrations hungry so made use of the well stocked grab and go-cafe downstairs which just could've done with a grill plate as the paninis done in microwave were a bit soggy but still very tasty at 2am! Beautiful full English quality breakfast served until 11am and made use of the lovely refreshing swimming pool before check out at 12. Only 100 metres to the docklands railway so access brilliant. We chose to drive and park which was trouble free and where it is situated we had zero traffic queues to get there and home (this might not be the case when the city is not on New Year break) Thoroughly recommend and we all look forward to using the hotel again. There was a tip box at reception and it was a pleasure to add to it! Well done staff and management.

Room Tip: Higher the better for views across Docklands but I'm sure they are all equal quality inside
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Booked this hotel as part of a "Show & Stay". Was a bit unsure at first, with the hotel being so far out of Central London. We book a show every January, but always stay around Covent gardens or Green Park. We stayed for 2 nights, 7th - 9th January. Upon arrival we were immediately impressed with the hotel, (and believe me, we have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world). The hotel is very contemporary, and right next to the DLR, which made travelling around very easy. We purchased an Oyster card and travelled everywhere. We had never visited Greenwich before, so we made a full day of it. We walked from the hotel, through the Excel Exhibition Centre, along the docks to the Emirates Air Line, (cable car). We took the cable car, over the river to the O2. Then we walked down to the Maritime Museum. (You can get the bus). Spent the afternoon there, then walked over to the Cutty Sark. When we arrived back at the hotel, we took advantage of the swimming pool, and spa facilities, to erase our aching bones. Luckily we were the only people in the pool, so it was quite a relaxing experience. The rooms at the hotel are very spacious, with large comfy beds. Breakfast was buffet style, with a good vast choice. We didn't dine at the hotel in the evening, as we were going into Leicester Square to meet friends. However, we did look at the menu, and it did look rather appetising, so will definitely use next time.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends, and will definitely be using it again.
Well done aloft Excel.......

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room, with a view of the river......
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at the Aloft Hotel by ExCel from 30 December to 2 January (2013/2014) for New Year’s Eve in London. The hotel is, by London’s standard, good value for money and at an excellent standard too, with easy access to the new DLR route into the City. It is very trendy, unique from other hotel chains, with comfortable bedrooms and great facilities…and it is immaculate and very clean too.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL?

YES! I would definitely stay there again for sure and it was nice to come away from a hotel feeling positive and that the management are doing things right, which makes a change!

It is only 15 minutes away from Canary Wharf on the DLR, which is adjacent and next door to the hotel and a couple of minutes’ walk from the lobby. It took me less than 45 minutes to get to Covent Garden and Hyde Park and less than 30 minutes to Stratford.

The hotel is less expensive than other 4 star hotels nearer or Central to the City. It’s no less inconvenient to be further out near to ExCel. People think ExCel is too far out, which isn’t the case if you make use of the fabulous ‘new’ DLR and are familiar with the tube. It is also quiet and it was nice for me to be out of the hustle and bustle of the City.

It is a new hotel (I think!) and is immaculate. It is a quality hotel and ideal for professionals and couples/friends on a mini break.

London City airport is next door, but I couldn’t hear the planes due to the way the hotel is built and was remarkably quiet.

ARRIVAL/CHECK-IN

With all the new hotel complexes in the area, I did get slightly lost, as my SAT NAV wasn’t up to date with the Aloft’s new postcode, so I used the postcode from the Ramada hotel next door instead.

Once I arrived, I parked my car and prepaid my parking ticket when I checked-in at the hotel’s reception - parking was £14/day. I was glad I did it that way, as I didn’t know how to use the parking metre. The daily charge is valid from the time you park your car (or check-in) to 24 hours later. The reception staff were all really friendly, helpful and checked me in very quickly.

AMBIENCE

The hotel is stylish, but with a cosy feel. All the staff were dressed in jeans, relaxed and always helpful. It’s a warm hotel, in its ambience too, immaculate and clean.

BEDROOM

I stayed in room No.808, on the 8th floor, which had great views of the surrounding areas. It was a modern room, with a king sized comfortable bed. The room had two large full length narrow windows with black-out blinds for a good night’s sleep. There was a desk (not a dressing table) and a flat screen TV, with a keyboard. It caters for those who may wish to work from the hotel room. The TV however wasn’t that great, as it was full of international TV and News channels, with only a few UK channels to watch - I guess it catered for overseas guests too!

The bathroom I really liked. It was open planned with the sink in the main part of the room’s entrance way, with a sliding door to the toilet and then a glass door to the shower wet room. The hotel didn’t provide unnecessary toiletries, only the ones I really needed and there were dispensers in the shower. They offer shampoo/conditioner in-one, so I was glad I packed my own separate shampoo and conditioner. I would have liked a bathrobe, as one wasn’t provided.

There were drinks making facilities, but the hotel provided disposable cups, for drinks ‘on the go’, not china mugs.

There was a great hairdryer in the room too and as I have long hair, it took me minutes (no lie) to dry it, so I didn’t need to use my own. There was an iron and ironing board too.

The décor was as contemporary as the rest of the hotel. It is not minimalistic, but the walls are textured and balanced with a dark, warming colour scheme of black, greys, purples and more vibrant colours.

Overall the bedroom was lovely and wished I could have stayed longer, as the modern aspect of the room was very unique and appealing. It is not shabby like other hotel chains and everything was in working order, which again makes a change!

HOTEL FACILITIES

The hotel has a fully equipped gym, which I didn’t have time to use, but it looked pretty good. The pool was really modern, with dark grey tiles and purple strip lighting, with a large mirror at one end. The pool however was a little cold for the time of year and I did mention this to one of the staff members who said she’d look into it for me. I used the pool again and it was a little warmer that time. There is a sauna, which was nice, but the steam room next door wasn’t hot enough in my opinion. One day I used the pool, the doors to the sauna and steam rooms were left wide open, so I would suggest to the staff to check the area and make sure they are available to use at all times. I closed the doors, but it took a while to heat up. If this was for cleaning and maintenance purposes, then this should be done out of hours, to not inconvenience the guests. What was missing from the pool area was a toilet and toiletries for showering. A spin dryer for wet costumes would be a good thing too.

BAR/COFFEE SHOP

The WXYZ bar was really cool, with lots of comfortable, trendy seats. The drinks I ordered were quite pricey, typical London prices, but was disappointed that it was closed on the 2nd Jan. There was also one bar tender, so I had to wait 10 minutes to be served as he was labouring over making cocktails and chatting to other guests. All I wanted was a coffee and liquor, but when after waiting 10 minutes, I discovered the coffee machine didn’t work and had to go to the coffee shop instead. There is a pool table, which is free and a private TV room. I did see non-paying guests occupying the pool table and they were a slightly intimidating group of young locals. I guess they were there to have a drink.

As mentioned, the hotel has a coffee/snack shop which I thought was a really good idea. Not all hotels offer this and I see the benefit to professionals 'on the go' or those who may be working from the hotel (away from the office) and are looking for a light snack or lunch.

THERE IS MORE…

I didn’t use anything else at the hotel and I believe it offers more stuff, but I didn’t stay long enough or have the time to investigate further.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa-Marie1980
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was exactly what I was looking for. Many hotels downtown are quite old and small; it is convenient, however. The Aloft was new, spacious, and pretty convenient. The DLR station is pretty much right outside of the hotel, so it is easy to get to London. The room was also pretty spacious, but I did stay in a suite so I do not know much about the standard rooms. The suite had two bathrooms which was nice (one which had a shower). I also found the air beds to be a nice addition; it also wasn't that bad for adults. Although I did not get a chance to use the pool or gym, it was definitely a nice addition. Even though it is convenient to get to London, finding food outside in the vicinity was not easy. There aren't a whole lot of options in the area, so be prepared! The closes restaurants outside of the hotel was about 10-15 minutes away; there is a restaurant in the hotel, however. Overall, I was very happy with choosing Aloft. At first I was a little hesitant about it, but the convenience of the DLR helped a lot.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Recently stayed here over the new year and was more than satisfied with the services provided. The hotel offered a very simple, contemporary feel and was regularly cleaned and maintained by the hotel staff. The room was dimly lit which wasn't a problem for us but may prove a problem to others, especially those travelling as a family. The room includes A/C, 42" TV, king size bed (depending on what room you booked), mini fridge and lounge. We opted in for the breakfast package which entitled us to the breakfast buffet provided at the FEDE restaurant every morning. This consisted of typical full english breakfast items; bacon, eggs, hash browns, fruit, grains, juices etc. The hotel is conveniently located right next to Prince Regents DLR station making it easy to travel into London. The location itself is a bit of a dead town but the hotel offers everything needed so venturing outside isn't necessary. We didn't get to use the gym and pool facilities but will be sure to use them next time we stay!

Room Tip: Higher rooms offer a better view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple