“Great Modern Hotel Brilliant value and good location”
Review of Aloft London Excel

Aloft London Excel
Ranked #262 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Aloft provides a very modern and spacious hotel. I totally disagree with the comments on this site that the location is poor. It's a minute walk from the DLR station and yes you need to understand the underground but it's really easy to get to Central London - straight through to Tower Gate or Bank. I can honestly say I have never stayed in a 'city' hotel that was so spacious. Many thanks to the Duty Manager Lionel for upgrading us. We had a super room on the eighth floor with great views and the room was really well planned. Large bathroom, separate vanity unit in area with wardrobes and then two single beds in lovely spacious bedroom totally separated from the bathroom/wardrobes with two windows overlooking Excel and the Thames. Small gripe no china just 'take out' cups but probably appeals to the general clientele of this hotel. Great system in offering incentives if you don't want housekeeping. Clean and stylish I can't comment on the food because we didn't eat at the hotel at all. But the buffet style 'take and go' with really fresh looking fruit, sandwiches etc was a great idea. One other gripe - parking is separate and extortionate for the location so if possible drop off and park elsewhere! Pool area had a great atmosphere but water was cold and we were told it was open until 11pm but were ushered out well before then as 'they were conducting maintenance' However great stay and brilliant value for money and as I regularly visit London will be listing Aloft on my favourites for future stays.

Room Tip: Views from top floors are great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
AloftLondonManager, Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Hey Jaguar,

Thanks for your comments! We love reading such detailed reviews, they really help us in understanding where we can still improve. I will investigate what happened in Splash that made us close earlier when you were here.

It's great to see you were impressed with the value for money and we hope to see you again soon!

Jill van Rest

P.S. Lionel says thank you for the special mentioned - he was very happy to read his upgrade made your stay extra special

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It is easy to give fair comment on this hotel. On the plus side you do not get any room of similar quality in London (infamous for quality of its hotel and value) for the price (of course this is seasonal and this on can be expensive if there is a trade show at Excel). Room is modern, like new and well-furnished and equipped. Bed is comfortable like a good 4-star. But on the other side of the coin the location is extremely inconvenient. It is next to a station but it is not the regular underground: it is the DLR that you need to make multiple changes to go anywhere. I am also somewhat let down because I booked at a prepaid lowest rate and found that on arrival day the rate is lowered. They have a new idea that if you opt for no house-keeping you get some benefit.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same but better rooms have river view and on higher floors

Hi there,

Thanks for your review!
We love reading that you were impressed with our style and affordable pricing. We are located in the Docklands so it takes about 40 minutes to get into the city centre. Depending on where exactly you need to be, it's just one transfer over to the Underground after leaving the hotel.
Our Make a Green Choice program offers guests the option to opt out of having the room refreshed. In return for this, you get a voucher that entitles you to 250 SPG points, a £5 credit to spend on food or drinks or you can choose to donate the £5 to UNICEF.

With smiles from East London,

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Visually very appealing inside and out, with spacious and comfortable accommodation, but it is let down by delays checking in, online booking process (expect a confirmation email within minutes or it hasn't worked) and wi-fi login which cannot be accessed via room number and guest name. Front desk telephone answering leaves a lot to be desired.

I echo the comments of others regarding the restaurant: again, looks very professional but the food is disappointing for the price and last orders at 9.30 pm is surprising for a hotel of this quality. Given the out of the way location and lack of competition, a more enterprising operator would capitalise on these shortcomings.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to see we missed out on impressing you. The service you describe is not the kind of experience we want our guests to have. I have shared your comments with our Fede and Front Office team so that they can focus on improving. We are happy to see you are a fan of our unique style though!

I do hope you will give us another chance to impress you on a future stay. Please do reach out to me directly if you are coming back to the hotel so I can ensure there will be no hick-ups next time around.

Have an easy breezy day,
jill.vanrest@alofthotels.com

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Checked in here for a one-night stay at the last moment when my flight to Heathrow was diverted thanks to serious fog. Rooms were typical Aloft, with plenty of outlets and a logical, if cramped, layout. Bathroom products are in large, refilled containers. The hotel even has a washer and dryer; it cost me £10 to do a load of laundry, but in the middle of a long trip, it was well worth it. First room I checked into was on the top floor and very corner of the hotel and had downright unusable wi-fi; when I mentioned this to the staff, they were happy to move me to a more central room which had far better (although still average-at-best) wi-fi. No noise issues despite being so close to LCY.

The reason this hotel is so much cheaper than Starwood's other properties in London, of course, is that the location is awful. Unless you're visiting the ExCel conference center, the O2 arena, or London City, you're well removed from everything you'd want to visit in London. The saving grace is that a DLR station is nearby. Given the lower rates, the service, and the access to the DLR, I'd stay here again.

Hi latrell1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.
The Clean facility is indeed a bit of a hidden gem - there are a washer and dryer available there for guests to use, next to the more 'traditional' laundry service we offer as well. It's cool to hear you didn't notice the planes go by, looks like our soundproofing windows helped you get a good night's sleep!

Have an easy breezy day,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Booked this hotel through the last-minute.com secret hotels. Was extremely impressed. Arrived at the hotel 4 hours before check in and room was ready for us to drop our bags off. Staff are very helpful and polite, nothing is too much trouble for them, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for all London visits, it has brilliant transport, the DLR station is less than 100m outside the hotel and car parking is a brilliant price for London. I can't wait to go back for my next stay in London.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Amu_Lew

Hi Amu_Lew,

Wow, a full score! Thank you so much for your compliments and spreading the word about us.
It's great to see we were able to arrange an early check-in for you, hopefully this made for a good start of your break.

We can't wait to see you back for your next stay!

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times and am always disappointed when our travel desk can't get me in. There is nothing out of the ordinary with this place, just good quality, modern service at a reasonable rate. Believe me for a lot more money I have stayed in some really poor places but I won't name names ... Yet :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hey Allen,

Your review made us smile! We are all about style at a steal here at Aloft and it's very cool that this worked out for you.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I spent two nights at this hotel and its perfect if you are visiting the O2 or ExCel. Got a great deal for this hotel for about £65 a night on cheapcheaptrips website, and this turned out to be excellent value for money.
The reception staff were dressed casually in jeans and t-shirts (new trend maybe) but they were polite and professional.

The hotel is very clean and modern. I did not use the bar, but there is plenty of seating , along with a pool table. I did not use the gym or the pool but the gym looked well equipped. The lift needs to be activated by the room key which could be a bit of a drag if you are staying with other people and you leave the room without the key.

My room had a very large and comfortable bed. The bathroom has a mini dressing area. Shampoo and body wash is provided in a dispenser in the shower cubical. The room had an iron, ironing board and hair dryer along with plenty of wardrobe space.
My only problems with my room were that I could open the window and was in dire need of natural fresh air. The cleaners came around 3:30pm on Sunday afternoon so I opted not to have the room cleaned as I wanted to have a nap then. If you opt not to get your room cleaned, the hotel gives a miserly £5 voucher which you can use anywhere in the hotel for payment towards food or drink.

There was a lot of choice for breakfast and all of the food was of a good quality and well presented. There are two staff members in the restaurant who served us during breakfast, one is from Germany and the other from Portugal. Excellent service from these two!! They were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is a very short walk from the entrance to the east entrance of the ExCel and also just two minutes walk to Prince Regent DLR railway station.

1  Thank Missy J

Hi there Missy J,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review!

I am happy to hear you were assisted in a professional manner by our team members. I understand your feedback about the lift operation - it is indeed not possible to get up to the floor without a room key, which is a security feature that we implemented to make sure our hotel is as safe as possible for our guest.

It's cool to see you had such a good start of the day in our Fede restaurant! I showed your comments to Matthias and Manuel and it made their day.

With smiles from the Docklands,