“Lovely hotel in pleasant location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aloft London Excel

Aloft London Excel
Ranked #255 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in pleasant location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at 4 other hotels near Excel I have to say this is the best. It has an interesting modern design inside & out. Staff are friendly & helpful & the facilities are great. We had a room at the end of a corridor on the 6th floor overlooking the water. It was very quiet & relaxing as there were never any people walking past our door. What with good soundproofing, a very comfy bed, blackout blinds & efficient air con we had a good night's sleep. Unfortunately did not have time to use pool & gym but they looked good. Breakfast was served until 11.30 which is a bonus at the weekend. We stayed for 2 nights but would have liked to stay longer! Hope to return sometime.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AloftLondonManager, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello there,
Thanks for your review - your compliments mean a lot to us! It's great to see you enjoyed our unique design and our team was able to help you with your requests.
Do come back again for a dip in Splash or a work-out in Re:charge!
We hope to see you soon,
Martijn Mulder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Over the last few months I have stayed in the Docklands area a few times, this was my first stay at Aloft.

Positives:

- Good air conditioning in room
- Comfortable bed
- Excellent wifi, no problems connecting
- Good TV
- Easy access to the DLR

Negatives:

- Only has plastic cups in rooms and no spoons
- No bath
- Shower could be more powerful
- Found the lighting rather dull
- Very little milk provided for tea/coffee (2 small pots)
- No information pack about the facilities or local area
- Blinds let some light through and seem worn

Overall it was a pleasant stay and would have no problems staying again if I was in the area. I can't judge the hotel's other facilities as I didn't get chance to use them (feel an information pack within the room would be useful for this for menus, access info for the gym and pool, along with local information tips etc.)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leicester_Daniel
AloftLondonManager, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Hi Leicester_Daniel,
Thank you for your detailed review - it's messages like yours that really point us in the right direction to further improve our unique style. I completely understand your comment about the take away cups. We are currently working on finding a ceramic mug that would fit our rooms and we are hoping to put them into place a few weeks from now.
In case you want some extra milk next time, just give us a buzz and we'll be happy to arrange it for you. Our Re:charge fitness centre and Splash swimming pool are definitely worth a visit so hopefully you'll get a chance to see them next time. At the moment we indeed don't have the traditional hotel directly, but feel free to stop by the Front Desk or call our team with any questions you may have, they are fully in the know!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a Friday night as we had tickets for a gig at the O2. Everything was pretty faultless, there was pleasant atmosphere and a funky design throughout. It had an almost Nordic feel in terms of the design. Friendly staff and overall, I'd be happy to recommend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Occrec
Hey there,
Thank you for writing something about us! Please do recommend us amongst your friends and family, we never object to people singing out praises!
With smiles from the Docklands,
Rohnert Park, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I visited from the USA, him for work, me tagging along for fun.

Location: obviously a totally perfect location if you're attending a conference at the Excel center, but I was worried about how much of a hassle it would be to get to downtown London. It's not as bad as I feared - there is a DLR station literally at the hotel, and you can take that to either Stratford or Tower Hill which allows easy transfers onto the tube lines. There's also an ENORMOUS mall at Stratford. And it's just two DLR stops to get to the Emirates Air Line that goes over the river to north Greenwich. As for getting there from Heathrow, we made a reservation in advance with Addison-Lee, and it took around an hour and a half from the airport to the hotel. If you can fly into the other London airport, do it.. that would probably be just a five minute taxi ride.

Front Desk & Check-In: I contacted the hotel via email prior to our trip to ask a few questions, and they were hugely helpful and provided prompt responses to my inquiries. The check-in process was great, and our room was ready upon arrival (which is so essential after a ten hour flight). We requested and got a room on a high floor with a river view (room 816).

The room itself: the room itself is quite large by London standards, but quite small by American standards. At first we thought we would feel cramped, but as we unpacked, we found all the little cubbies and storage spaces, and there was actually plenty of space. It's sort of odd that there are no drawers, but if you're clever, you can make the spaces work for you. The bathroom counter is just too small and some more counter space would be great. The window blinds are amazing and truly block out all of the outside light - although one of our window blinds kept breaking and my husband would have to fix it to get it to lift back up. The bed is very comfortable, definitely the most comfortable of any London hotel we've stayed in. I also had trouble finding the outlet for the hair dryer. There are clearly marked outlets for shavers, but nowhere i saw to plug in a hair dryer. Fortunately I brought my own dryer with a very long cord, so I was able to plug it in just around the corner and still be able to see myself in the bathroom mirror. The lighting in the room is pretty dismal, though if it's daylight, opening the blinds will flood the room with good light. One last oddity about the room is that the shower has a translucent panel that leads into the bedroom area. It looks really cool and trendy, but it made the 2 am bathroom runs obnoxious for the still sleeping spouse because turning the light on in the bathroom lights up the bedroom as well. I must mention that the soundproofing in the room seemed really good. We were watching planes land from our room, and there was very little noise. The only noise we did notice was on a Friday night when it sounded like there was loud music until very late at night. Not sure if a neighbor was blasting a radio or if maybe they have some night-club scene on the first floor on Friday evenings. Still not terribly obnoxious, just noticeable. Oh, and other folks have complained about the AC, but ours functioned perfectly and kept our room at a perfect temp.

The restaurant: if you get the free breakfast with your stay, definitely plan to eat there. It's buffet style with a large selection of both hot and cold foods and is a perfectly adequate way to start your day. That said, I'd recommend avoiding the restaurant for any meals aside from breakfast. We ate there several times and were disappointed each time except for one dish (the beef stew). Thoroughly bland and uninspired food.

The market near the front desk: This is a great little market and a convenient way to grab something to nosh on (or to grab food to avoid eating at the aforementioned hotel restaurant). They have fresh fruit, some sandwiches, coffees, snacks, etc. My only complaint about this is that it's staffed by the front desk staff, and one day there was a line of probably 20 people checking out. I waited for what felt like a long time (maybe 15 or 20 minutes) and finally put my items back because there was just no way the poor front desk person could get over there to let me pay for the items. It would be nice if they could maybe have the cafe staffed with a dedicated person during peak times.

Maid service: so, we used the green feature which gives you a credit at the market for each day you decline housekeeping. This is a great option I think! So, we declined cleaning service for the first three days and then requested it on the fourth morning. I was a little surprised to see that we didn't get fresh sheets... they simply made the bed as it was. It's probably not a big deal - after all, I go for an entire week at home using the same sheets. I've just never seen a hotel do that. Otherwise, the room was well cleaned and looked great upon our return.

Overall vibe: The Aloft has a pretty great vibe. Friendly casual staff (first time in my life I've seen hotel staff wearing jeans!). The building itself looks like a tiny version of the Aria in Las Vegas. The decor is nice - casual but modern. Yeah, really no complaints at all. Well done.

So, overall, I would definitely consider staying here again. There are some interesting little quirks about it, but our overall stay was totally enjoyable. If this were a US hotel, I'd probably give it 3 stars (just to give you americans a means of comparison), but for the UK, I think this comes in at a solidly deserved 4 stars.

Thank you Aloft, we'll be back. :)

Room Tip: High floor, river view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hi Jennifer,
Thank you very much for your detailed review! This will certainly help future guests in making a decision to stay with us. I do apologize for the waiting time at our Re:fuel grab & go area - it seems you caught us at a bad time, which should not have happened. I have shared your feedback about dinner with our Fede Restaurant team so that they can review and improve.
On the Friday night you mentioned we had one of our monthly Live at Aloft gigs in the w xyz bar. There was a really cool band sharing some tunes - a unique event to mix & mingle.
It would be great to see you again and I hope your husband had a succesful meeting!
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Arrived early, around 10am, and went to reception purely to ask about parking. They checked and room was available so we were ale to check in. Very impressed with the whole hotel, the rooms, the bar area, swimming pool, everywhere was very well presented. Staff were friendly. My only bad comment would be the bar staff, they were very cold and did not makes feels welcome.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hey Lorna,
Thanks for posting a review here. I am happy to see the team was able to help you with an early check-in. Our Splash swimming pool is indeed a unique space for a refreshing dip and I'm glad to see you had some time to enjoy it. My apologies about the experience you had in the bar - it seems our team was not on top of their game when you visited. I will make sure to discuss this with them to re-focus on our high quality of service.
We hope you'll give our w xyz bar a second chance soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a Friday night for a visit to the O2 arena, the hotel is in a good location, very modern and clean. Ideal for a weekend a way in London, will stay again during my next visit. Only downside is the parking isn't included which is £14 for 24 hours, not too bad for London I suppose!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Ash M,
Thank you for leaving a review. It's great to see you enjoyed the hotel - I hope your event in the O2 was nice as well!
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend for a city visit. Easy to find coming in from Kings Cross on the tube and DLR trains.
Very clean and staff gave a good welcome on booking in.
A few drinks first evening at the bar was a little expensive but we put that down to London prices.
Excellent venue if you are visiting the Excel centre or a night stay over before a flight from city airport.
Takes around 45mins with a couple of tube changes to get in to the city centre on a good day.
Breakfast was great. All tastes catered for although if you didn't book breakfast in your package price im not sure how much people were paying on the day.

Rooms very clean with all facilities you required. Maid service great and you do have the option to miss a clean and save money on your bill if you wish.
Although the hotel was busy we didn't have any noise during the evening from other guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello MidlandsJanner1,
Thank you for your five out of five rating!
Our Re:fresh team is really proud of our stylish rooms and they try to keep them squeeky clean for you to enjoy. As you mentioned, we have a great program called Make a Green Choice. In return for us not servicing your rooms, you get a Food & Beverage spend credit of five pounds or 250 Starwood Preferred Guest SPG points. And in case you're feeling really generous, there is also an option to donate the equivalent of the points to Unicef. Win-win-win!
Just in case you were still wondering: our yummy breakfast buffet is 15 pounds per person.
We hope to see you again soon,