“Great Little Gem of a Restaurant”
Review of Spuntino

Spuntino
Ranked #1,065 of 23,009 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Soho
Description: Spuntino serves small plates like Polpo, but this independent restaurant takes its theme from downtown New York. The menu offers dishes including mac n' cheese, truffled egg toast, eggplant chips and pulled pork sliders. The site evokes 19th Century machine age Brooklyn.
Lafayette, California, United States
“Great Little Gem of a Restaurant”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I loved this place. I found it on TripAdvisor and the reviews were spot on. The food was really, really good - we had fried chicken, fries, slider burgers, mac and cheese and an amazing dessert.

Service was fab and the vibe/energy made me happy. I highly recommend Spuntino.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Amy W

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Quirky little gem”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spuntino was recommended by my chef boyfriend, when I was searching for a pre-theatre snack stop. Not knowing its exact whereabouts, I chanced upon it wandering down Rupert Street (it operates in the midst of sex shops and peep shows) so thought it must be fate. It was 5pm on a Friday and almost empty, which was perfect for me, as I had the full attention of the barman/server. He made me a Sgt Pepper cocktail, a triumphant unusual plum concoction, and was subsequently most helpful in helping me choose a wine. The complimentary chilli salt popcorn is a novel idea, and the décor makes you feel as though you are in New York's Meatpacking District, in a trendy but grungy diner. The menu was long, and I had trouble choosing, but went on recommendations from the barman. The truffled cheesy eggs on toast, although very rich, were delicious, and the burger was wonderful (I do love my burgers, but this one was a standout - soft brioche bun, meat cooked to perfection, spicy tangy chipotle sauce perfectly complimenting the melted Swiss cheese). Watching other diners' dishes, next time I would order the pizettes and sliders to share. By the time I left at 7pm, the place was full and a queue out the door. I love Polpo, and although entirely different, Russell Norman has done a good job with this one too. I shall be returning.

• Visited August 2014
“Trendy trendy”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The food here is delicious, the peanut butter ice cream sandwich was a definite highlight!

If you're looking for somewhere trendy and different with good food and a great atmosphere, here is the place to come!

• Visited August 2014
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I went to Spuntino, as ever, on the recommendation of the almighty Chris Pople, London's greatest food blogger. Again, as ever, the recommendation came up trumps. With Polpo, which I loved, and as-yet-unvisited Polpetto, these owners seem to really know how to open up interesting and distinctive restaurants which fill in niches you didn't really know existed.

They sell Italian-American small plates, basically (this menu http://spuntino.co.uk/static/menu.pdf is out of date but a reasonably good guide), and everything I ate was excellent. I forwent the highly lauded truffled egg on toast (my friend had it and loved it) and went for:

Candied bacon (£3) — 2/5, basically fine, but quite burned-tasting
House pickles (£4) — 5/5 among the most delicious things I've tasted in my life: pickled carrot, beetroot, okra, and fennel
"All four" sliders (£18) — 4/5
• Cornflake chicken — deeeelicious, especially the honey mustard slaw
• Prawn po' boy — not much prawn, but lovely nonetheless
• Burger with bone marrow — the bone marrow added a delicious savoury edge
• Pulled pork — almost Japanese style, this was the best of the lot
Mackerel with samphire (£8) — 3/5, solidly enjoyable

As well as the one friend who had the truffled egg on toast, another had steak tartare—I tasted a bit and it was excellent. We drank the "beer and a shot" drinks option; a shot of whiskey and a half pint of Meantime Pale Ale for £5 a go.

Highly, highly recommended. Indeed, I am likely to go back myself.

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Can't believe I've never been here before!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Amazing. Came here last week with a friend before work, our waiter (also manager/bartender) was so kind and helpful. Food was amazing and drinks were too. Thoroughly recommend it!