“Once is enough”

33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Once is enough”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was a long-awaited treat but there is a lot of other better spas in London. I'm surprised this is the standard in a 5 star hotel.

Had their most expensive package, with 1hr massage, 1hr facial and pedi. The job was well done in the end- felt very relaxed and skin glowing, great nail job. The girls were friendly and great. The exfoliation was a bit of an ordeal as lots of the grainy elements went into my eyes - just was surprised she hadn't noticed that they could go in if you rub them across your eyes in two routines? I couldn't open my eyes and complained..The result, again, is great but it was really unpleasant experience for a 5 star hotel, I'd expect that in a shop in Whitechapel.

Very relaxing lounge area but very dark. Don't even think about being able to read your favourite book/magazine you brought there (I tried in vain). It's also swelteringly hot. Also, you cannot order food/drinks like in other spas. Shame, I even checked out their restaurant menus and was prepared to pay an exorbitant £5 per tea.

Changing room was not as expected out of a luxury spa. Very small, only one bench across 100+ lockers so no one can sit if three ppl at max sit their with their towels, etc scattered. The locker doors open from left to right so if you are given one in the corner (like me), you'll really struggle to open and get your items out.

Given the therapies on offer, you'd think there is a range of skincare to try after taking a shower - no chance! I was more than surprised about this as I did not bring any of my own as most other spas do unless they are budget spas. So if you're going, take all your skincare regime + your own hairbrush (none there) + prepare to fight for the just two hair dryers (that's quite faulty and one chair to sit, way below the mirror) that has...one chair to sit. The mirror is not eye level so you might as well stand if you can.

The set up of therapy rooms and pedi room to changing room is all a little confusing and bothersome - you'll be going up and down flights of stairs so if you have any injuries or disability, this is going to be a problem for you. Yes, there is a lift but everyone uses it for just one floor so there is a little frustration and awkwardness with others while you wait.

One of the main reasons coming here was the swimming pool as it looks lovely on their website. Forget relaxation - there are too many children (mostly under 5 + exasperated parents) and it totally killed the mood. This was sat but the parents/nannies (mostly Russian for some reason??) seem like they are local and wouldn't contain themselves to just the weekends. Unfortunately, on the telephone when I booked, I was firmly told that I cannot come until the appointment time - then found out that I could have come a lot earlier and used their pool. Conflicting information, wasted opportunity and money :(

Although the results of the treatment is great, the whole experience was not so overall rating as 'Average'.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank zimalc

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

The therapists who did my treatments were both full of cold and snivelling.. Lovely girls, working really hard but bless them, they were clearly ill and I'm afraid my treatments were not enjoyable listening to them sniffing constantly.... I did speak to the reception desk and I spoke to the hotel but they weren't really interested... The spa itself could do with a facelift, I was disappointed with the pool. Packed with kids and no beds so we didn't swim or chill out... My husband and I couldn't relax in the sauna or steam together either as they were separate.... Would not recommend.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Stace-hb
London
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Nice Spa but not worth a second visit.”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Me and my friends visited this spa over the weekend and had a lovely time however we probably will not return as there are many areas where they can improve. The day before our booking we were call to confirm our booking and were asked what time we were planning to attend. I said about 10am as I had made sure that I booked the whole day and not the after 2pm option. The lady said that we could only arrive after 2pm. When I reminded her that we had booked the whole day she said that it would be very busy with hotel guests if we arrived in the morning. I found this ridiculous – I would have paid for the cheaper package ! We arrived at 11am in the end and the changing area was empty and only a few people in the pool.

The spa is located at the side of a very grand hotel, there is no access through the hotel it is down the side road. The spa is located on 3 levels; reception, tea area and fitness suite on the ground, spa and changing areas on the next floor and the treatment and relaxation area on the floor above this. The stairs between these levels felt like fire escape stairs and wasn’t the easiest to get around. The ladies at reception are not very pleasant – they do not even try to give you a fake smile !

The changing areas are pleasant and lovely shower and toiletries provided. The sauna and steam are far too hot. I am a regular goer but they were rather small and therefore the settings could have been turned down. The ladies before us left complaining and we didn’t stay very long. As a result I saw no one in there the whole day.

Pool area is clean and has loungers but if it was any busier we would have struggled. There are 8 loungers and a few chairs.

I had the 30 minute massage and it was very good the pressure just right and the lady did a great job – after the massage she out a nice hot towel on my back and I felt very relaxed indeed. There is a relaxation area which has lovely loungers however it was cold so was the treatment room and generally we felt cold when we left the pool area.

Cream tea is served in the reception area and given that you are in your dressing gown and right by the door it’s little cold ! We had a choice of teas and lovely scones ! There is no real option for lunch either !

Generally we had a lovely day but the facilities need a little fine tuning and the higgledy pigledy nature of the layout wouldn’t have been an issue if we were happy with everything else.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank StylishTraveller30
essex
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“5* Luxury for ladies that do lunch...”
Reviewed 20 April 2011

After a short walk from Fulham Broadway tube down into Kings we entered Chelsea Harbour. Once we had stopped admiring all the yachts in the harbour and eventually walked through the door at the Blue Harbour Spa we were greeted with a choice of fresh tea/coffees and iced water. After completing our treatment form details and ordering lunch with a glass of wine we were issued our locker keys and access card for the doors within the spa.

On the ground floor is a state of the art gym for those who want to partake!

Onto the 1st floor and from the minute we walked into the changing area we had arrived – white robes, slippers and an endless supply of thick soft white towels. Locker room is spacious and well equipped from individual q-tips and cotton pads in bags to a set of scales if you dare…

Through to the wet area you notice the smell of oils emanating from the steam room and there is a large and very hot sauna. Using the steam takes a bit of getting used to as the oils are very strong and will cause your eyes/nose to feel cold surprisingly not unlike using a vapour rub on your chest. Both the sauna and steam are excellent especially the sauna for stretching out and doing a bit of Bikram Yoga. There are four spacious private showers with shower gel and shampoo (no conditioner) and two toilets with own hand basins.

Through the door to your right you then descend a few stairs to the pool area. Plenty of sun loungers for relaxing along with ice water and reading material. The pool is a lovely temperature and depth for swimming or just relaxing. The Swan neck jets are great – be warned the force of the jets is very strong and takes some getting used if you have not used before. The pool area is at lower ground level but has been built with one side looking out to the harbour courtyard so plenty of natural light.

As ladies that do lunch we had a the salad, salmon and cream cheese bagel and Chicken Club Sandwich all washed down with a glass of wine in the main area overlooking the harbour which was lovely.

On the second floor are the treatment rooms and the ultimate relaxation room complete with camomile tea. Plenty of relaxing seats with footstools and relaxing loungers with the softest light waffle blanket/towel for the ultimate relax either before or after your treatment - in our case both…

I had the full body aromatherapy massage and my friends had the full body de-stress and the full body massage – all exceptionally good.

We managed to spend over 7 hours relaxing and being pampered and will certainly go back again.

Visited April 2011
7 Thank tanner159
KarlaPearce, Marketing Team at Blue Harbour Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted to hear that we met your expectations. We are pleased to offer conditioner to members and guests; although it is not available in the shower itself, you can request it upon arrival from our reception team. I will make sure that the reception team let guests know that this is available when they arrive. Thank you again for taking the time to review our Spa and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!