“Not as bad as some have painted but could tweak it up a bit more”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #957 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as some have painted but could tweak it up a bit more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I booked this hotel within fairly tight timescales so didn't read the reviews until after I paid for the 2 nights upfront. Later, speaking on the telephone with a member of staff, I felt a little more relaxed when she told me the bad reviews related to an annexe down the road. That said, I made sure booking in and checking the room were my first port of call!

On first glance, all was okay and I felt relaxed enough to go and fulfil my day's activities. The carpet was a bit stained but the bed had clean white linen, the bath and toilet was clean and all seemed in order.

No towels though. So I mentioned it to an assistant as I was going out again. She spoke to the maid while I was there and cue everyone smiling. (They were all very friendly though none were indigenous.)

Unfortunately, when I got back much later there were no towels. But a quick call down to reception and some were promptly brought up along with a hair dryer (also asked for while on phone).

Feeling a bit tired from the travelling and day's activities I thought I'd grab something in the hotel. Unfortunately, it was either peanuts and crisps or sandwiches. All on my verboten menu.

Fine. I had had a big meal at lunch but could manage a nice glass of red wine pre-bed.

The girl looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. After waiting (and, it seemed, more waiting) someone else came to tell me she hadn't understood me and that there was no wine, only Becks' beer.

Great. Not. I decided to go to bed without vittels or anything to drink when another assistant said why not have a vodka and tonic?

I agreed and she brought up a rather tiny glass of vodka and tonic with no nibbles or finesse. That little added description is because that tiny glass of vodka and tonic ended up costing me £12.50!!!

And you'd think they'd have read the multiple reviews and actually bought in some red wine for non-beer drinkers!

So, the initial higher points got systematically reduced by the lack of towels and having to ask twice for them, the humongous cost of a teensy glass of vodka with or without nibble, the hairdryer conking out after it dried just the top of my head and the TV having a mind of its own.

Oh and yes, on my last night I woke to the really vile smell of someone smoking really vile cigarettes.

PS I only had the included breakfast on one day as 'continental' consisted of pastries and fruit salad (and possibly cereal). As I don't eat pastries (or cereal) that was a minute bowl of not particularly exciting fruit salad and coffee.

Seems a bit mean not to feed a guest with the things they actually CAN eat but I think the waitresses have had it drummed into them to be sparing.

Didn't bother insulting my palate on the second morning and treated myself to a delicious cooked breakfast in one of the many cafes in Westminster. At a fraction of the horrendous prices in this hotel.

PPS But at least the bed was clean and so was the bathroom and it was easy to get to my conference and back at night.

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to the lift!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Utrecht
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I was moved to a room in the Tophams hotel after I made a complaint about the Belgravia Mews hotel, which is under the same management and shares the reception. This is a separate review on my stay at Tophams; for Belgravia Mews please see my earlier-posted review.

After a horrible experience at Belgravia Mews, I was provided a single-bed room with shared shower and toilet. It is astonishing to have a shared shower/toilet for such a pricey room.
Bed mattress was acceptable. I was able to have some decent sleep.
The room had a TV but without a remote controller, which I didn't receive for three days (see Service section for details). The room was small but clean (at least compared to Belgravia Mews).
My room did not have a hanger at all, for which I had to call the reception.
The shower/toilet room was also clean but there was no ventilation.

Service... this was perhaps the worst part of this hotel (as also described for Belgravia Mews). The staff were unprofessional and unfriendly, except for one South (or West) Asian gentleman.
I asked for a TV remote controller because there was none in my room, but I didn't receive it until the 3rd night after complaining several times. They had twice brought controllers that doesn't work for the TV in my room before finally receiving a functioning one.
The hotel also lacked shower gel supply although I needed a refill. A staff told me on my second day that the delivery has been delayed. I never got the refill during my 5-days stay.
I also never got a new towel supply. One day I found a folded towel on my bed, but that was the old one I hung on a chair. my pajamas were always thrown on the chair, unfolded. I never had such a treatment in a hotel where bedmaking is provided.

Overall, they don't seem to care much for the comfort of customers. Astonishingly unprofessional hotel, I'd never ever come back to Tophams and Belgravia Mews.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

A friend and I booked for a 2 night stay. We booked a twin room but on arrival we were told there were no twin rooms available and put In a "deluxe" double. Thankfully we know each other well, however in other circumstances this may not have been suitable. The room itself was not exactly "deluxe", the paint work was chipped and the furniture needed some attention. However it was clean and comfortable.
We had a full English both mornings which was included, it was terrible, it had obviously been cooked earlier and been left sitting out, cold rubbery toast, tasteless scrambled eggs, at £20 a massive rip off. There are plenty of places nearby which serve breakfast which I'm sure provide better value for money.
We also had afternoon tea which again carried a hefty £32 price tag! Hard bread which had been sitting out. Shop bought French fancies and dry inedible (again shop bought) scones! Go around the corner there are other hotels offering afternoon tea which certainly will be better.
The reception staff were friendly and were available to assist with any requests.

• Stayed September 2013
M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

What a terrible experience based on such promise! Afternoon tea promoted on the Time Out London website, reduced from £64 per couple to £26. This consisted of sitting in an empty room set up for breakfast the following day, completely inattentive service, plastic ham sandwiches, plastic cheese sandwiches, Mr Kipling French fancies, Tesco or similar tray bake, a jar of jam with a dry plain scone and zero atmosphere. We were in and out in 20 minutes, didn't even bother with the bubbly and resorted to chips in Victoria Station to fill ourselves. A complete waste of money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank TillyandBella
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

On Sunday 16th September a group of four from jaccede.com had afternoon tea at the hotel. we were representing a French charity working for and disabled people to help them find the places best suited to their needs. At first glance the Tophams is not obviously accessible however the staff went out or their way to help us. Sam, Kullicka and Maria helped us carry the electric wheelchair up the stairs, we were allowed to leave it in a safe area. The furniture was moved in the dining room so that it was easier for us to sit at the table, a bedroom was opened on the ground floor to give us access to a bathroom. Without their help, their sensitivity and the delicious afternoon tea, this wonderful afternoon could have turned into a nightmare. Find out more on jaccede.com and enjoy the wonderful setting of this boutique hotel for a traditional afternoon tea.

Room Tip: Please call beforehand if you require a special room for example wheelchair accessible. The staff w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jaccede
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

We booked this hotel through an Expedia hidden hotel deal. We were concerned after reading the reviews. However, I took a tip from another reviewer and e-mailed the hotel ahead of time, confirming our reservation and telling them we had read their reviewed and required a nice room and could not be moved to the other hotel. We were pleasantly surprised with our room on the 3rd floor. We had a cozy room, nicely decorated and then steps going down to a closet and bathroom. There were obvious water damage and was a little shabby, but otherwise was clean. The mattress was very poor, but actually slept well. It appeared that there was supposed to be a water heater because there was coffee and tea, but we did not have anything in our room to heat water with. Also, the woman at the front desk told us breakfast went until 10:30 on the weekends, but when we showed up at 10am on Saturday they told us breakfast was done already. It is definitely not a 4 star hotel by American standards. The location is excellent as we were able to walk to most of the main sights in London.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaraRuss
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were quite nervous about our stay in this hotel after reading the bad reviews. However we were pleasantly suprised. Our room was really rather nice maybe a little shabby round the edges but the sheets were clean and the bed was comfy we both slept really well which is rare for me in a hotel room. Usually they are too hot and stuffy because the windows dont open and noisy, but this was quiet with good ventilation because the windows open.
When we got there after 3hrs on the Mega bus we wanted to make a cup of tea but there was no kettle, I went down to reception where the staff were lovely and accomodating and actually made us a big pot of tea and carried it to our room.
We would stay here again the reception area was very stylish and it is in a good position.
Tip: ring before you go and ask for a nice room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple