“Lovely Afternoon Tea!”

Ranked #959 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Afternoon Tea!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

My mum and I were worried about our tea, as we read the reviews after we'd booked. Well, we were pleasantly surprised! The staff were so attentive and helpful, and even helped mum to the loo! The coffee was lovely - most definitely not instant! The sandwiches were lovely, as were the cakes! The room was tastefully decorated with a gorgeous glass roof. No complaints whatsoever, and would definitely come back!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank neens2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews was a bit worried about going here for afternoon tea .
If your looking for a ritz style afternoon tea don't expect it as this is not but on the whole it was nice the glass of champagne was nice and chilled and went down really nice the cakes were shop brought 2 was a Mr Kipling French Fancy and 2 Tesco Square Brownie there was carrot cake to which was nice to but like all other reviews these were shop brought the scone was really nice and it was warm to but didn't think a lot to the sandwiches there was not a lot of them the tea was nice and we got good service I got this on a wow voucher deal and it does what it says on the tin so don't go expecting much and you will be pleasantly surprised but for £16 for two it was a good deal and we did enjoy it but next time I'll be booking the Ritz .

3 Thank 37amy
Henley-in-Arden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

You know you're in trouble when there is a queue at reception that has clearly been there a while - even more so when the people waiting advise you to leave. However, that is what I would have done if I hadn't prepaid. Instead I watched the American accented lady behind reception go into one of the most spectacular breakdowns ever. She swore, she sighed, she threw the phone down and complained about the guests; the manager; the system and her life. Took me 40 minutes of these dramatics to get my room key thrown at me. It was so extreme I was looking for the hidden cameras - thinking it was a prank. First time I've seen someone out do Basil Fawlty in real life - abusing guests who are paying upwards of £200 a night for the privilege. After that trauma - nothing was going to save the experience. Great as performance art - pathetic as customer service.

4 Thank TravelFairie

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

What an awful, awful time and waste of money. No service, don't know what sweet fizz was served up under the guise of champagne. No refills of food and the cakes were Mr Kiplings, for goodness sakes. The coffee was instant. No soap in the one toilet.
It was just embarrassingly awful.
Angry they have the cheek to take my money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stanzi M
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I booked this hotel within fairly tight timescales so didn't read the reviews until after I paid for the 2 nights upfront. Later, speaking on the telephone with a member of staff, I felt a little more relaxed when she told me the bad reviews related to an annexe down the road. That said, I made sure booking in and checking the room were my first port of call!

On first glance, all was okay and I felt relaxed enough to go and fulfil my day's activities. The carpet was a bit stained but the bed had clean white linen, the bath and toilet was clean and all seemed in order.

No towels though. So I mentioned it to an assistant as I was going out again. She spoke to the maid while I was there and cue everyone smiling. (They were all very friendly though none were indigenous.)

Unfortunately, when I got back much later there were no towels. But a quick call down to reception and some were promptly brought up along with a hair dryer (also asked for while on phone).

Feeling a bit tired from the travelling and day's activities I thought I'd grab something in the hotel. Unfortunately, it was either peanuts and crisps or sandwiches. All on my verboten menu.

Fine. I had had a big meal at lunch but could manage a nice glass of red wine pre-bed.

The girl looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. After waiting (and, it seemed, more waiting) someone else came to tell me she hadn't understood me and that there was no wine, only Becks' beer.

Great. Not. I decided to go to bed without vittels or anything to drink when another assistant said why not have a vodka and tonic?

I agreed and she brought up a rather tiny glass of vodka and tonic with no nibbles or finesse. That little added description is because that tiny glass of vodka and tonic ended up costing me £12.50!!!

And you'd think they'd have read the multiple reviews and actually bought in some red wine for non-beer drinkers!

So, the initial higher points got systematically reduced by the lack of towels and having to ask twice for them, the humongous cost of a teensy glass of vodka with or without nibble, the hairdryer conking out after it dried just the top of my head and the TV having a mind of its own.

Oh and yes, on my last night I woke to the really vile smell of someone smoking really vile cigarettes.

PS I only had the included breakfast on one day as 'continental' consisted of pastries and fruit salad (and possibly cereal). As I don't eat pastries (or cereal) that was a minute bowl of not particularly exciting fruit salad and coffee.

Seems a bit mean not to feed a guest with the things they actually CAN eat but I think the waitresses have had it drummed into them to be sparing.

Didn't bother insulting my palate on the second morning and treated myself to a delicious cooked breakfast in one of the many cafes in Westminster. At a fraction of the horrendous prices in this hotel.

PPS But at least the bed was clean and so was the bathroom and it was easy to get to my conference and back at night.

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to the lift!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Utrecht
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I was moved to a room in the Tophams hotel after I made a complaint about the Belgravia Mews hotel, which is under the same management and shares the reception. This is a separate review on my stay at Tophams; for Belgravia Mews please see my earlier-posted review.

After a horrible experience at Belgravia Mews, I was provided a single-bed room with shared shower and toilet. It is astonishing to have a shared shower/toilet for such a pricey room.
Bed mattress was acceptable. I was able to have some decent sleep.
The room had a TV but without a remote controller, which I didn't receive for three days (see Service section for details). The room was small but clean (at least compared to Belgravia Mews).
My room did not have a hanger at all, for which I had to call the reception.
The shower/toilet room was also clean but there was no ventilation.

Service... this was perhaps the worst part of this hotel (as also described for Belgravia Mews). The staff were unprofessional and unfriendly, except for one South (or West) Asian gentleman.
I asked for a TV remote controller because there was none in my room, but I didn't receive it until the 3rd night after complaining several times. They had twice brought controllers that doesn't work for the TV in my room before finally receiving a functioning one.
The hotel also lacked shower gel supply although I needed a refill. A staff told me on my second day that the delivery has been delayed. I never got the refill during my 5-days stay.
I also never got a new towel supply. One day I found a folded towel on my bed, but that was the old one I hung on a chair. my pajamas were always thrown on the chair, unfolded. I never had such a treatment in a hotel where bedmaking is provided.

Overall, they don't seem to care much for the comfort of customers. Astonishingly unprofessional hotel, I'd never ever come back to Tophams and Belgravia Mews.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

A friend and I booked for a 2 night stay. We booked a twin room but on arrival we were told there were no twin rooms available and put In a "deluxe" double. Thankfully we know each other well, however in other circumstances this may not have been suitable. The room itself was not exactly "deluxe", the paint work was chipped and the furniture needed some attention. However it was clean and comfortable.
We had a full English both mornings which was included, it was terrible, it had obviously been cooked earlier and been left sitting out, cold rubbery toast, tasteless scrambled eggs, at £20 a massive rip off. There are plenty of places nearby which serve breakfast which I'm sure provide better value for money.
We also had afternoon tea which again carried a hefty £32 price tag! Hard bread which had been sitting out. Shop bought French fancies and dry inedible (again shop bought) scones! Go around the corner there are other hotels offering afternoon tea which certainly will be better.
The reception staff were friendly and were available to assist with any requests.