“Worst Hotel Stay I have Had” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #957 of 1,086 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Worst Hotel Stay I have Had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I would strongly advise people to not go to this hotel - I requested a double room as I got to the room it was clearly noticeable that they do not do basic maintenance. There were holes in the wall, the plumbing was appealing so when I had a shower it flooded the whole bathroom. This room was Mews 6.

The customer service was shocking - not only did the key cards seem to open a majority of rooms, I had some random guy walk in to my room and the staff did not even know I was there even though I booked in advance. When I went to complain about the room, the receptionist did not know what to do, instead, advised me to go to bed (back in a flooded room with electrics brilliant idea). On multiple occasions she asked me to tell her what to do in this situation. The other member of staff on duty just stared blankly at me and did not even say a word. In the end I had to settle for a worse room with a shared bathroom (they did not even have the decently to tell the other couple that were sharing the bathroom that we were now using it).

To make this situation worse, I have emailed info@tophamshotellondon.co.uk
and I have still not had a reply

Worst hotel stay I have ever experienced. Poorly managed would advise people to stay away.

2 Thank Katie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wall, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Don’t go there really I mean it don’t there are plenty of Premier Inns in London for a similar price with nice clean rooms where things work!
On check in with four colleagues from work instead of the double rooms we had booked we were offered a family room with one double bed and two singles as if this was a really good offer. I like my colleagues but not intimately so we declined and asked for the rooms we had booked.
Check in was tortuous with most things done with paper rather than on a computer and it took longer than I have ever experienced to get four rooms which had been pre-booked and pre-paid.
We were all in the main building the lift of which stinks like an old mop left in the mop bucket for a month. My first room was tiny and I mean tiny doing a circuit around the bed required you moving sideways. The television had fallen off the wall and was on a table and but the bracket was left on the wall and worst of all there was no shower on the wall just an attachment in the bath. The paint was peeling off the walls.
I rang reception to be told to come back down. When I got down they were unable to change my room to one with a shower as they didn’t know which ones had one. So I waited for 10 minutes until someone went up and checked the rooms.
The second room was still small but had a shower. The wallpaper, bed cover and curtains were lovely but as my Dad says you can’t put lipstick on a pig and call it Kate Moss. Handles on most cupboards and the shower were falling off, the carpet was badly stained, the paint was again peeling off the walls (I suspect there is a major damp issue), the bin had not been emptied from the previous occupant and the heating was reluctant to start. I had arranged to meet people for dinner so abandoned any attempt to change rooms again. I had no hairdryer so asked at reception on the way out to be told they would try and find one (which was on my bed when I got back).
Check out the next day was done by a man so disinterested in me and my stay that I just left without giving any feedback. Don’t stay here there are many more nice places to stay in London which won’t rip you off and don’t smell badly and there is nothing redeeming about the place at all. There is a bar but it is effectively a couple of tables behind reception. Walk around the corner there is a lovely little place called the Plumber I think. Horrible place staffed by people who know it is horrible and so don’t even try to care.

1 Thank Izzyk

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Norfolk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed here with a friend one Saturday night after getting a finding a room on a late deals site. The location was perfect distance from the train station and situated on a fairly quiet street. I was welcomed by friendly staff albeit told about my room fairly hastily. First impressions of the room we were given (Mews 1) seemed good; a fair sized room, well appointed, spacious bathroom, very comfortable beds etc. However on closer inspection, there were a number of niggles, both bed side lamps didn't work, there were stains on the carpet, a number of light bulbs didn't work in both the room and the bathroom, the hairdryer was prone to overheating, a VERY noisy water system in the morning. Overall though, not bad, and the majority of the issues were not too much of a bother.

We had a continental breakfast included in the price of the room. I would not have been happy to have paid for this, it was one of the worst breakfast's I experienced. We were in a rush, and therefore did not have time to voice our concerns. The staff were not very informative about what was included, it was implied that you could only have the choice of cereal or fruit and was only made clear that both were available when asked. There was a nice selection of tea, coffee and fruit juice, and toast and croissants were brought to the table. The toast however was merely warmed bread so much as toast. I asked for muesli which seemed to have come from the end of the packet, and the so called "fresh fruit" on the menu was disgusting tinned fruit. All in all, not a good breakfast.

Overall this hotel for the price we paid was good value and good place for us to rest our heads, I would not however, have been happy to have paid full price. I would return if I needed to stay in this area again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Minimadamy
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor and I taken on board your comments.
We are currently working very hard on an extensive refurbishment programme as well as re-training our staff.
We want to ensure guests at Tophams enjoy their stay and want to return.
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I am writing this review on behalf of my parents, who was in London for a 3day 2night trip, they had thoroughly enjoyed their stay at this hotel. Their main comments were that the hotel was in a very convenient location, which was only 2 mins walk to the main bus station, and pretty much any other public transport. First impression of the room, was that it was quite small, but they didn't mind it afterwards. They usually took the lift to the room, but on the last day, there was a fire drill, and they took the stairs (with their luggage as was coming towards check out time), and found the stairs pretty narrow. They said they would go back to this hotel again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkheart879
We are currently working very hard on an extensive refurbishment programme as well as re-training our staff so it's good to see the hard work is paying off.
We hope we will be able to welcome your parents back to Tophams in the near future
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Let's not get confused: This isn't a five start hotel, look at the price... BUT...

The staff are welcoming, professional, and efficient. The facilities are fine. Good breakfast. 270 yards from Victoria train, tube, bus station, 420 yards from Victoria Palace Theatre (Billy Elliot).

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms below ground level.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam L
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor
We are currently working very hard on an extensive refurbishment programme as well as re-training our staff so it's good to see the hard work paying off.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Tophams very soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I very much enjoyed my experience. There were biscuits on arrival, a lovely breakfast area and a very pleasant bar area with comfortable couches for working on emails etc. I got a fantastic deal lastminute after a flight cancellation and the staff were wonderful. I would come back!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Susan H
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor
I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Tophams very soon.
Hambon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

While this hotel is in no way as bad as many of the awful reviews on here would suggest, it's nowhere as good as it should be. The reception and communal areas are all very nice and suggest a stylish boutique hotel. It is however let down by tired rooms and a general lack of attention to detail. My room, euphemistically called 'mews 2' (for 'mews' read basement) was quite large for a London hotel room and reasonably pleasant but let down by a number of things. First of all there was an overwhelming smell of damp which pervaded the whole basement level, secondly the huge bathroom was absolutely freezing cold with no functioning heating and thirdly the TV remote didn't work (and was an entirely different brand to the TV on the wall). Add to that some peeling /flaky paint, stained carpets and a few burnt out lightbulbs and you get the general impression that someone isn't looking after this place properly.

On the plus side, there is a nice cosy residents bar and a small reading room/library and the breakfast was quite good.

Whether or not I'd recommend this hotel depends primarily on the reason for your visit and the price you pay. I managed to get a deal for £70 via a travel website and was staying on business - at that price, despite its faults, I would happily stay here again. If I was staying for leisure reasons and was paying anything near the rack rate of £150+, I wouldn't be inclined to rush back.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement (mews) rooms as they smell of damp and are cold.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hambon
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Tophams.
Please be assured we are currently carrying out a major refurbishment to ensure all our rooms are of the highest standards.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back soon.