“Nice But not perfect!”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #975 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Staff were friendly, check in was
Quick and efficient.
Room ok, little shabby but still nice.
Breakfast was a bit stingy and obviously microwaved, would not have paid £20 for it!!!! (Was Included in room rate)
Housekeeper was clearly trying to get us out the room, knocked 3 times before 11 (check out 11.30) which irritated me! We were there to relax and I felt rushed to leave.
Receptionist stored our bags for us whilst we went shopping, our coach wasn't until 6pm.
No real complaints, wouldn't pay more than £80 a night for it tho!
Room 108 (16/3/14)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us on Tripadvisor.
I have noted your comment about breakfast and housekeeping, I have spoken to the head housekeeper about this and the maid should not have knocked on the door three times before 11am. We do provide 'Do not disturb' notices so as we know guests are in their rooms and will leave them alone if this is on the door.
I sincerely hope we'll have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams.
Sean H

Write a ReviewReviews (1,405)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

A few minutes from the Victoria station, this no-frills straightforward property is perfect for the traveler on the go. It is efficiently managed by knowledgeable staff who willingly gave out travel, entertainment and good eats advise. We plan to return next summer.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thephantomtraveller
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and look forward to welcoming you back next Summer.
Sean R

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I was very worried about staying here after reading all the bad reviews, i even rang up and asked if these were true and if so I would like a refund. The receptionist was very honest and told me it was the twin hotel that was recieving bad reviews, she also upgraded me and my partner to a dulexue room on the bottom floor as it was my partners 23rd birthday. When we arrived 5 mins walk from Victoria Station the hotel was bright and boutique. We waited 10 mins for the room to be cleaned and when it was ready I got my partner to open the door fiest as the staff kindly went to the trpuble of getting a helium balloon, cake and candles and set it up beautifully in the stunning room! It was perfect! I can not fault the room at all, and the location is great! The only thing I would say disappointed us was the breakfast it was in our room price but I agreed with my partner we would not pay £19.95 for the full English breakfast very basic. Overall ☆☆☆☆ we will be recommending to friends and family and staying here again. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Lorpa3
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and I will pass your comments on to the staff at the hotel.

I have noted your comments about breakfast.

Sean R

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I just want to say that booking the afternoon tea for my friends hen do in this hotel left me a bit worried when I read all the bad review but I have to disagree with the comment
The staff was extremely lovely and kind
A gentleman called Jeff in particular was so attentive and friendly and very accommodating
The champagne,food and tea was delicious and it was worth it
Maybe we got lucky but I felt I had to give at list the restaurant tea a break from the awful comment
Marina

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Lasagn
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us on Tripadvisor. We hope we will be able to welcome you back to Tophams in the very near future for Afternoon Tea.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I had booked a 2 night stay at this hotel through work. When I arrived on the first night after dinner, I was told there was a problem with the booking, and after some whispered conversations was told I needed to get in a taxi at my own expense to be sent to a hotel on the other side of London where I would be expected to pay £225. As a woman travelling on my own I was alarmed to be sent out into the night to an unknown destination. The hotel also stated they could not pay my taxi fare as "they didn't have any cash in the hotel". Allegedly, any cash spent in the bar is "immediately banked". The following day my work confirmed that there was no problem with the booking and that I should return for my second night's stay. My room was adequate, but the hotel was extremely noisy. I was given a complementary full English breakfast the next morning, but I wish they hadn't. Most of it was stone cold, the hash brown was stale, and I have no idea what pre-war substance the 'eggs' were made from. I have been promised a refund on the taxi fare to the alternative hotel, but it has not appeared. I can see of no reason why I would recommend this hotel to anyone. A truly dreadful experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank cceb72
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor and I am sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.

Unfortunately we experienced some problems with our front office system giving us the wrong availability.

I have taken up your comments with our Chef about the breakfast and we have taken steps to improve this.

I was a little surprised that you found the hotel noisy, we are situated in a very very quiet area of Belgravia and have many comments about how quiet the hotel is for Central London.

The taxi fare has been refunded to your credit card and I sincerely hope we have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams in the near future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I bought the Time Out discount offer for afternoon tea - apparently reduced down from £60+ to £24 for two. I have no idea who would pay over £60 for this tea!! Empty, silent dining room, inedible cakes, zero atmosphere or attention from staff. Avoid at all costs. (One star for the English breakfast tea)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kazhove
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to wrote a review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you were so disappointed with your afternoon tea experience at the hotel, obviously business in the restaurant varies from day to day and some afternoons are busier than others which will of course affect the atmosphere.

I was a little surprised to read your comment about our home made cakes but I have spoken with our chef and passed on your remark

I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back soon on a busier day.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I'm giving Tophams 4 stars, because when I arrived, they told me the room was not up to their standards, so they moved me to Knightsbridge Green, paid for both both nights I would have been at Tophams. Their customer service on this was actually great (can't say the same for Knightsbridge, that review will come later). I'll give Tophams another chance in the future, but I appreciate what they did to find a room for me so quickly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Melissa T
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Tophams.

I am sorry we were not able to accommodate you at the hotel on this occasion and I am delighted with your positive comments about the service.

We sincerely hope we can welcome you back in the very near future.