“Not a tip top experience!”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #975 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Judging by previous reviews our experience could actually have been worse so I have awarded an extra point out of relief and gratitude for the small mercies with which we were clearly blessed.
I had stayed in Tophams a few years ago and was greatly disappointed so had not returned. Prepared to give it a second chance however, hopeful for an improvement and mainly due to the location and my budget, I booked a double room directly with the hotel, my confirmation stated that full English breakfast was included.
On arrival our welcome by the young man on reception was anything but welcoming and I really dislike this trend for hotels to take a deposit on your card, I could see no reason for it but upon checking out we noticed through the window as we left the hotel that there was a hotel bar, unfortunately the young man checking us in had not bothered to mention it's existence, shame because a nightcap in one's hotel is an enjoyable end to the day.
Our room on the top floor was fairly nicely decorated, bright and not too small. Lovely quality curtains but stained, tired lamp shades which spoilt the overall impression and the carpet had a stain. The wardrobe only contained three coat hangers but more were promptly brought upon request. The safe did not operate but I couldn't be bothered to mention it so put my trust in the staff and thankfully it was not misplaced. Iron & board are provided and a kettle which is always welcome, though a very mean offering of tea bags was given, thankfully I had a packet of my own to hand!
The mattress was horrendous! So old, with most of the springs gone, sleep was therefore almost impossible. We turned the mattress ourselves however and slept a little better on the second night, but maybe that was because we were tired from lack of sleep!
At breakfast we were informed that we were not entitled to a cooked breakfast but upon my querying this we were granted a cooked option without quibble. There is a bit of a language barrier in the restaurant so our simple breakfast order was completely mixed up; given the language difficulties & feeling sympathy for the kindly, hard-working but clearly beleaguered restaurant manager we tucked in anyway only to find it was virtually inedible, the cheapest, poorest products rendering the food tasteless and unpleasant. We didn't bother taking breakfast in the hotel the second day!
Upon entering and leaving the hotel during our stay we were never once greeted by staff which felt discourteous and didn't make us feel the hotel values it's guests or cares about them having an enjoyable stay at all.
Such a shame because Ebury Street is a charming, gracious road, the location of the hotel is marvellously convenient for Victoria Station and the Gatwick Express and the hotel itself has great potential. Give your frosty front of house staff customer service training. Give your pleasant and helpful restaurant staff a few English lessons relevant to their job. Improve the quality of breakfast food. Deep clean and decorate the rooms, buy new mattresses and you could have a great little hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank champagnesliv
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I have recently started at the hotel and we are addressing as a matter of urgency the points you have raised.
Rest assured we are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at Tophams.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate that things have improved.
Sean H

Write a ReviewReviews (1,405)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at Topham’s 2 nights (12th and 13th April). The location was really good, ideal for Victoria station and only a short walk from the finish of the London marathon, which is why I chose the hotel.

After booking through superbreaks I was concerned when reading reviews on here as wanted a hassle free weekend in the city. I checked with superbreaks that we were actually booked in the hotel which they confirmed. First impressions however were positive.

Check in was quick and easy, they did however want a £50 pre authorisation on my credit card, which they said would cancel on check out (will keep an eye on that) The room was on the first floor number 101, Apart from the mould above the shower and other bits of paintwork which need touching up the room was a good size with a bathroom down some steps and along a corridor, which was also a good size.

We didn’t spend much time in the room the first day, we were straight out to register for the marathon, then back briefly for a quick shower and change before heading out for a meal and show.
When returning a good night’s sleep was had, even though the mattress wasn’t great, if you sat on the edge of the bed the mattress dug into your legs and the springs sprung! The room was quiet though even with the window open.

The next day was when the problems started with water leaking through the ceiling.
When the guests in the room above had a shower we did too. There was existing watermarks on the ceiling where the water dripped through.
We reported this to reception, which weren’t very helpful, saying the manger would be back tomorrow. We were offered another room but the reception staff never came back to us and as we only had one more night we put up with it to save moving.

No plug in bath – after running 26.2 miles I was looking forward to a soak but didn’t have the energy to ask for a plug.

Fire alarm at 7am on Monday morning, not good when you want a lie in!

Breakfast – wasn’t so good on Sunday, was cold. Monday morning it was hotter but not worth £20, we only had as was included in price.

We left, having told the reception about the leek again, and are still waiting for a call from the manager about this.
It’s a shame as it’s a nice hotel and I would stay there again if the customer service was better and attention was paid to little things which niggle that would only take a little effort to put right.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I bought a Afternoon tea for 2 voucher from Groupon last week. However i was very disappointing with the hotel and the quality. This is NOT a 4 star hotel, and the breakfast areas is really horrible and tiny, no nice or comfortable feeling at all.

The Afternoon tea was really nothing to recommend, cheap Tesco bread with cucumber and tiny biscuits. The scones were nice but what we got on out plate is definitely not the same food as they are advertising on the webpage, Save your money and go somewhere else. The waiter was polite and made sure we were okay, however the receptionist was really rude and refused to even say Hi or Bye, really bad for a "4" star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 539Tantan
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked on Hot wire, having had good experiences before. I will now be skeptical. We arrived late in the day, around 6pm. We had pre booked the hotel weeks in advance. Regardless we were told to wait, confused as to what was going on, we were essentially waiting for another couple to decide if they were going to take the room or not (they were short rooms). Encountering the disgruntled couple they whispered "good luck".

After the couple ahead of us caused a scene (as we would later find out was justified), we were shown to our room. We were told that there had been a flood, and they were short rooms, therefore our initial hotel room was not available.

The room was comparable to a closet. Thinking my boyfriend and I were going to have one last night in London before he went back to Canada, I quickly realised this was not going to be the case. The room was the size of the bed. The walls were cracked, the room was dirty, the paint was chipped, and on top of all that.. WE HAD NO BATHROOM. We were told we had our own "private bathroom".. which was down the hall, down a set of stairs... dirty and we quickly found out it was actually shared. We asked the front desk is they were positive no one else was using it.. and they said, "well we don't tell anyone else about it". Therefore, it was a general bathroom for whoever came across it.

The staff were far from understanding. Although we refrained from making a scene... we tried to explain to them that this was unacceptable (but we did not have time to try find another place). They were indifferent, they acted like we were crazy for thinking it was awful. The female at the front desk was actually condescending.

What was shocking to us was that there were older couples that looked quite posh who were also staying at the hotel, and did not seem bothered. So we are uncertain if we got shafted, and if perhaps they put all people who book on hot-wire in the same closet of a room.

We are lucky that we are easy going, we simply decided we had no other option, so we spent the night on the town and spent minimal time at the hotel.

Needless to say, I would NOT RECOMMEND this hotel. You are better off staying in a hostel, probably a better accommodation and friendlier staff.

I have picture evidence that I would be happy to share.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
2  Thank Caitshea

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked the Knightsbridge Green Hotel and, looking at their reviews, had a lucky escape! We were 'upgraded' to Tophams after arriving at Knightsbridge and being told there was a problem with a guest the night before and they didn't have any double rooms left. The receptionist took our deposit before informing us of the switch. Even better a phone call to let us know to go to the right hotel would have been appreciated, so we didn't have to drive round London on a Saturday afternoon trying to find the place and some parking - after having driven down Knightsbridge road about four times trying to find the first hotel.

The reception is nice and check in easy but rooms are damp, small and NOTHING like the photos the hotel has posted. The toilet/bathroom was minuscule (shower door was cheap and didn't shut properly so water went all over the floor), bed cheap and uncomfortable. Nothing like the four star hotel we believed we had booked.

The worst bit was undoubtedly the breakfast - £20 for a completely microwaved, tiny portion of food. Our mushrooms had been zapped for so long that they were actually smaller than our baked beans. No one asked how our food was when they took our, almost full, plates away - probably because the poor girl is used to the same responses. The waiting staff in the restaurant were very attentive although the restaurant is so small, and there were at least six staff waiting to serve you, that you felt watched whilst eating rather than being given any privacy.

Overall I would strongly advised not to stay here. I had better accommodation at university.

2  Thank Helen M

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked through ammoma to stay on the night before the marathon. I booked a standard double with ensuite even as a single female traveller.. On arrival, eventually, I was led down the road to number 54 or 24, can't remember, to a cupboard in a basement which I declined. After a further half hour wait in reception I was given room 4 . The curtains were disgusting with bird poo on them. I stayed but will not come back. Shame as the hotel looks good and is in great location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ann Marie B

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is not a hotel but a house conversion with the owners playing hotels. It is set up for tourists. The rooms are in basement! The smell of bowels and dampness were the first thing we experienced on entering the Room! The bathroom was not even finished looked like a builder had just up and left! We were right under entrance and the room was not sound proofed so it sounded like herds of elephants throughout the night. Breakfast was something else also. When we asked for the English breakfast we were told it was not included even though it clearly stated it on our booking form. We asked for coffee and they brought a thimble full at bottom of cup. There were four staff in this small restaurant which was over the top. Amateur to say the least. We are tolerant people who would normally let things go but this place was a disaster . We gave them the chance to speak to us about this but they never called. DO NOT BOTHER WITH THiS HOTEL move on and book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
2  Thank jayneleephillips