The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Doubletree
US$330
US$244
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$371
US$353
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$121
1,456 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 May 2014

we stayed at the tophams hotel for four nights and we had a wonderful staying. The room was clean with a large bed and a perfect bathroom. The bathroom had a cubicle shower and a bathtub and both the bathroom and the room were large and confortable. Breakfast was very good and we could have a lot of food of different type. The waitress were very kind. Moreover the manager Sara was always ready to meet our needs and help us everytime we need to sort any problems out.
The location is very convenient and a few minutes walk from Victoria Station which is one of the most important station in London. We absolutely recommed this four star hotel if you want to enjoy London in the best way which is possible. Alex

3  Thank alessandro s
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I have recently started at the hotel and we are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at Tophams so it is good to receive your positive comments.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams.

Stayed 2 nights Easter 2014

Pros:
* Cheap
* In a quiet street

Cons:
Too many to mention but here are just a few:

* Paid for Full English breakfast but told we were not getting one even after supply reception with our booking confirmation printout.
* Mattress was done! Springs could be felt and heard when lying on it.
* Rooms and corridors wreaked of damp with visible damp patches on walls and carpets throughout the hotel
* No soap in the bathroom to wash your hands
* Had to phone reception and ask for towels
* Safe in the room was broken
* Half the lights in the bathroom didn't work so enjoyed showers in the dark
* Walls are paper thin.

My advice:
Pay a little extra and stay in a different hotel. This is certainly not a 4 star hotel - 2 star maybe. My wife and I are well traveled and have stayed in hotels from 5 star to total dumps. Any hotel that provides a mattress with broken springs should not be in business.

Room Tip: "help travellers choose a good room"... ...try a different hotel!
2  Thank Andrew D
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
I have recently started at the hotel and we are addressing as a matter of urgency the points you have raised.
Rest assured we are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at Tophams.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams to demonstrate that things have improved.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here two nights on business, and nowhere in the booking I made was it advertised that my single room would have no bathroom. Apparently this was shared with one other person, but there were at least 3 people using it, menaing a couple of times in the morning and at night I had to queue to use it - really not what I wanted.

Other negative points about the room:

- Far too hot, meaning the aircon had to be constantly switched on.
- TV remote did not work
- Some old plaster wrappings were in the bedside draw, so this place is not cleaned particularly well.
- Room had teabags and coffee, BUT NO KETTLE! I actually played a game of 'hunt the kettle', going through every drawer and cupboard, as I couldn't believe one wasn't supplied!

I stay in a lot of hotels around the Victoria/Pimlico area, and even the grottiest, shabbiest ones will have an ensuite bathroom. At £117 a night, this hotel is hugely overpriced in comparison to some of its competition, and the illusion give nin the lobby that this place is posh couldn't be further from the truth.

I would advise all budget-conscious travellers staying in this area to look at the excellent Z Hotel around the corner, or even the Comfort Inn, where you at least get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Dan K

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Judging by previous reviews our experience could actually have been worse so I have awarded an extra point out of relief and gratitude for the small mercies with which we were clearly blessed.
I had stayed in Tophams a few years ago and was greatly disappointed so had not returned. Prepared to give it a second chance however, hopeful for an improvement and mainly due to the location and my budget, I booked a double room directly with the hotel, my confirmation stated that full English breakfast was included.
On arrival our welcome by the young man on reception was anything but welcoming and I really dislike this trend for hotels to take a deposit on your card, I could see no reason for it but upon checking out we noticed through the window as we left the hotel that there was a hotel bar, unfortunately the young man checking us in had not bothered to mention it's existence, shame because a nightcap in one's hotel is an enjoyable end to the day.
Our room on the top floor was fairly nicely decorated, bright and not too small. Lovely quality curtains but stained, tired lamp shades which spoilt the overall impression and the carpet had a stain. The wardrobe only contained three coat hangers but more were promptly brought upon request. The safe did not operate but I couldn't be bothered to mention it so put my trust in the staff and thankfully it was not misplaced. Iron & board are provided and a kettle which is always welcome, though a very mean offering of tea bags was given, thankfully I had a packet of my own to hand!
The mattress was horrendous! So old, with most of the springs gone, sleep was therefore almost impossible. We turned the mattress ourselves however and slept a little better on the second night, but maybe that was because we were tired from lack of sleep!
At breakfast we were informed that we were not entitled to a cooked breakfast but upon my querying this we were granted a cooked option without quibble. There is a bit of a language barrier in the restaurant so our simple breakfast order was completely mixed up; given the language difficulties & feeling sympathy for the kindly, hard-working but clearly beleaguered restaurant manager we tucked in anyway only to find it was virtually inedible, the cheapest, poorest products rendering the food tasteless and unpleasant. We didn't bother taking breakfast in the hotel the second day!
Upon entering and leaving the hotel during our stay we were never once greeted by staff which felt discourteous and didn't make us feel the hotel values it's guests or cares about them having an enjoyable stay at all.
Such a shame because Ebury Street is a charming, gracious road, the location of the hotel is marvellously convenient for Victoria Station and the Gatwick Express and the hotel itself has great potential. Give your frosty front of house staff customer service training. Give your pleasant and helpful restaurant staff a few English lessons relevant to their job. Improve the quality of breakfast food. Deep clean and decorate the rooms, buy new mattresses and you could have a great little hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank champagnesliv

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at Topham’s 2 nights (12th and 13th April). The location was really good, ideal for Victoria station and only a short walk from the finish of the London marathon, which is why I chose the hotel.

After booking through superbreaks I was concerned when reading reviews on here as wanted a hassle free weekend in the city. I checked with superbreaks that we were actually booked in the hotel which they confirmed. First impressions however were positive.

Check in was quick and easy, they did however want a £50 pre authorisation on my credit card, which they said would cancel on check out (will keep an eye on that) The room was on the first floor number 101, Apart from the mould above the shower and other bits of paintwork which need touching up the room was a good size with a bathroom down some steps and along a corridor, which was also a good size.

We didn’t spend much time in the room the first day, we were straight out to register for the marathon, then back briefly for a quick shower and change before heading out for a meal and show.
When returning a good night’s sleep was had, even though the mattress wasn’t great, if you sat on the edge of the bed the mattress dug into your legs and the springs sprung! The room was quiet though even with the window open.

The next day was when the problems started with water leaking through the ceiling.
When the guests in the room above had a shower we did too. There was existing watermarks on the ceiling where the water dripped through.
We reported this to reception, which weren’t very helpful, saying the manger would be back tomorrow. We were offered another room but the reception staff never came back to us and as we only had one more night we put up with it to save moving.

No plug in bath – after running 26.2 miles I was looking forward to a soak but didn’t have the energy to ask for a plug.

Fire alarm at 7am on Monday morning, not good when you want a lie in!

Breakfast – wasn’t so good on Sunday, was cold. Monday morning it was hotter but not worth £20, we only had as was included in price.

We left, having told the reception about the leek again, and are still waiting for a call from the manager about this.
It’s a shame as it’s a nice hotel and I would stay there again if the customer service was better and attention was paid to little things which niggle that would only take a little effort to put right.